IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
A "must watch" to better understand the genetic implications for spring chinook conservation and recovery.

My father in-law texted me last night at like 11:30 telling me he recorded a program for me on PBS called the lost Salmon, and I needed to see it. I am looking forward to watch it. I am also looking forward to bonking a Springer in February or March.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
While I’m skeptical of some of the conclusions made in this film, I actually learned a few things from it. I wasn’t aware that they had discovered a gene that determines run timing (spring vs fall). I also wasn’t aware of the hybridization issue based on this single gene. Finally, I hadn’t given much thought to the issues caused by springers and fall nooks spawning in the same stretch of water.

Once we can define and understand some of these issues, we might have a chance to have some intelligent discussions about scientific solutions (unless we want to just accept the conclusion that our whole society needs to revert to the Stone Age and then wait a couple million years for nature to fix itself).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
While I’m skeptical of some of the conclusions made in this film, I actually learned a few things from it. I wasn’t aware that they had discovered a gene that determines run timing (spring vs fall). I also wasn’t aware of the hybridization issue based on this single gene. Finally, I hadn’t given much thought to the issues caused by springers and fall nooks spawning in the same stretch of water.

Once we can define and understand some of these issues, we might have a chance to have some intelligent discussions about scientific solutions (unless we want to just accept the conclusion that our whole society needs to revert to the Stone Age and then wait a couple million years for nature to fix itself).
Sounds like you're learning lots more about the issues! I think Mike Miller and their crack research team would be happy to discuss the findings with groups like the CCA. We need to move beyond the hatchery vs. wild debate and proceed with the best practices for all user groups (and our fish). This movie will hopefully facilitate such debate and discussions! I don't think the documentary was anti-hatchery at all, it was about saving the springers forever.

Best,

·
Premium Member
14,543 Posts
Calling this film "landmark" is the salmon movie equivalent of the Oregon 30lb salmon.

What I saw in the film:
  • salmon populations are dwindling
  • geneticists found the GERBIL gene
  • hatcheries aren't the answer
  • dams are bad
    • Snake River dams gotta go
    • Klamath River dams gotta go
  • video of dam being blown up
  • roll credits
Aside from the GERBIL gene news which is making the rounds lately, there's nothing new here.

GERBIL gene: it's present in spring salmon and not present in fall salmon. To say that it's responsible for determining run timing is confusing correlation with causality.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Calling this film "landmark" is the salmon movie equivalent of the Oregon 30lb salmon.

What I saw in the film:
  • dams are bad
  • roll credits
Aside from the GERBIL gene news which is making the rounds lately, there's nothing new here.

GERBIL gene: it's present in spring salmon and not present in fall salmon. To say that it's responsible for determining run timing is confusing correlation with causality.
:unsure: Really?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

What I saw in the film:
  • dams are bad
  • roll credits

@, come on man, follow the science.

Anyway, LoL.. "GERBIL gene". It's called GREB1L gene show some respect, please.

Font Gas Metal Rectangle Automotive exterior

1 - 20 of 71 Posts