IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

All fisherman have superstitions. Mine might be just a bit off center.

Over the last three years of fishing the mid Willamette where I moor my boat for springer season, I have fished with a with new found friend aka “ The Lucky Duck”. This duck showed up one day three years ago right after I had purchased a new boat. Didn’t like the old one I guess. With out hesitation the Lucky Duck jumped up on my fish box and would ride around with me as I fished the area. Some times it was 10 minutes and others she would ride for an hour. This has been going on since 2000. Every time the Lucky Duck would come visiting we would put fish in the boat. Sometimes she would appear before we hooked up and sometimes after we had fish in the box. The one constant was the fact that if she showed we either had fish or were going to get fish.

I have to believe that the Lucky Duck recognizes the boat year after year and comes to visit. Talk about a good fishing partner…The Lucky Duck doesn’t complain about my trolling speed, doesn’t drink my beer, doesn’t forget the bait at home, but is late once in a while. The Lucky Duck doesn’t get hung up on the bottom, borrow my gear or spit sunflower seeds on the floor of the boat.

All in all a darn good fishing partner!

I’m leaving for a quick 6 day trip to Alaska in the morning and am a bit nervous about the Lucky Duck not showing up at Auk Bay in the morning.

Any other lucky charms or superstitions out there?

COME ON LUCKY DUCK !!!!!!!!!!

[ 05-28-2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: pearl ]

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
That is so cool!
Every time we go on the Willamette, we bring a loaf of bread for those lucky ducks.

Dudley Nelson has put quite a few wood duck boxes on the Willamette in the West Lynn to Lake Oswego area. Anyone ever seen them? He's also put several goose nesting platforms in the same area. Most notable, the one just downstream from the Old George Rogers boatramp. They recognize one pair that have come back for several years!

They watch for the same birds to come back every year, to the same nesting spots, so the chances that your duck is the same duck are pretty good! :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen the duck boxes up in that stretch or the river.
The other thing I notice is that on the Nelsons old boat house the fish tails come back year after year. By the looks of it the guys had another another good return this year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts