IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past spring, my then-16 yo son had the hair-brained idea to build a boat. For years we’ve been crammed into a 14’ Gregor with a 9.9 Evinrude for all of our hunting and fishing adventures. Safety was a real concern and adding a third guy, dog, and decoys made it flat out scary at times. Time to upgrade! The budget didn’t allow a new-to-us aluminum boat (you’ve seen the current market!!), so what do you do!?!? I originally scoffed at his idea of a plywood boat, but soon realized he was on to something. A week later, the plans were in the mail!

8 months later and we did the maiden voyage this past Thanksgiving weekend. We learned a lot and my hope is to some day build another with my younger son. Hopefully my marriage can handle it. Thankfully I’ve got a good number of years before I’d even bring up the idea.
Here are a few photos…it’s very hard to pick so few. I hope you enjoy and just maybe it encourages someone to do the same. We did all of this with the most basic of tools and only a few times had to get fancy with our woodworking.

There is something truly special about captaining a boat you and your son built!
Wood Table Flooring Floor Road surface
The first frame cut.
Wood Automotive design Flooring Floor Art
Thankfully he’s a whizz with the math.
Wood Tradesman Flooring Floor Hardwood

Frames set. Gotta be precise here or you’ll pay later!

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you loft from small scale drawings or full sized ? Nice jlob on the strong back . Way cool project , cant wait to see the finished boat .
I spent the extra on the full sized drawings…and glad I did. I read a couple chapters about lofting and it seemed like too many numbers for my simple mind.

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Wood Floor Hardwood Flooring Wood stain
100% of the hardwood portions of the boat are White Oak. Here’s is the first longitudinal piece…the keel! Two 1/2” thick pieces of white oak, epoxy laminated and attached to the frames with silicone bronze screws.
Wood Flooring Gas Hardwood Engineering
No steam bending required…yet.
Wood Triangle Composite material Creative arts Plywood
The second of seven longitudinals that’s were layer within notches of the frames.
Wood Floor Hardwood Natural material Flooring

We had to steam bend these ones and that was tough because they didn’t like to bend quite right.
Wood Triangle Hardwood Symmetry Metal
Here you can see the notches from keel on out. Looking sorta boatish!?!?

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

some hillbilly steam-bending.

Wood Tradesman Floor Flooring Hardwood

19’ long chine logs ready to set. These really firmed up the structure. Full 4/4 thick made them tough to bend properly.
Body jewelry Natural material Silver Wood Necklace

See what I mean!? Days after we thought we finished with the chines, we found the crack. This set us back many days!

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Wood Wood stain Wheel Hardwood Plank

We didn’t scrap the entire chine and opted to scarf joint it at the 4th frame. Will it hold? I don’t have a clue, I’m not a boat builder!
Wood Floor Flooring Rectangle Line

You can see the shearclamps are also installed here. These should have happened in a different order, but my patience was lacking many times.
Wood Composite material Building material Hardwood Gas
Creativity in clamping is a must! And yes, these longitudinals will simply float and make contact at the eventual plywood bottom.
Wood Flooring Floor Rectangle Hardwood

Everything tied into the bow! Time will tell if it holds :confused:

· Registered
822 Posts
Beautiful work, guys. Thank you for sharing the progress photos and telling the story. Boat build threads are one of my favorite things on this website.

Regarding the design and plans, is that a Glen-L Rogue?

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, BD.

We bought some acreage and a modest house 8 years ago. With no garage, my first chore was to build a shop. 48x60. That too, was a fun figure-it-out-as-I-go build. It's a dream!

This is awesome! Working on a super cool wood working project, with your son, in what appears to be a bucket-list worthy shop. Tons of space, good work bench and tool chest, good light, beer fridge, squat rack, and bench. I'm sure there's a 55" TV on the wall someplace to keep the game on that we just can't see. :)

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Beautiful work, guys. Thank you for sharing the progress photos and telling the story. Boat build threads are one of my favorite things on this website.

Regarding the design and plans, is that a Glen-L Rogue?

Good eye, Slinger. This is a Glen-L Rogue Runner design. A few modifications to it, but hardly. It seemed to be the perfect platform for us a do-it-all boat.

· Registered
822 Posts
Good eye, Slinger. This is a Glen-L Rogue Runner design. A few modifications to it, but hardly. It seemed to be the perfect platform for us a do-it-all boat.
I have a friend who built the same design years ago and loves it. He has a pump on his for use as a river sled, but I always thought the hull would make a fine duck boat.

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Natural material Hardwood

Here’s a decent look at the transom and frame. In the four longitudinals, you also see the limbers. These are essentially drain holes that allow water to drain to the keel. Each frame will eventually have a similar drain hole at the intersection with the longitudinals to allow water to drain toward the stern.
Tire Wood Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt

I do not particularly enjoy scarfing plywood. I'd start with a jig, touch up with a block plane, and smooth it out with a belt sander.

All the plywood is Hydrotek. These being the sides are 12mm thick. This is a marine grade plywood with a good combination of structural and lightweight characterstics. I did a lot of research and found this BS1088 rating to fit the bill. What does BS1088 mean? It means it is very expensive!

Wood Textile Wood stain Flooring Hardwood

Light coat of epoxy on each side and then a thickened layer to fill any gaps. Match it up nice and neat!

Wood Luggage and bags Floor Flooring Wood stain

Then some more creative clamping. I found a lot variety in the color of one sheet to next of Hydrotek. Some was so beautiful it was hard to paint...but our number one rule with this boat...Utility > Beauty

1 - 20 of 77 Posts