IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
119,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This in from Dennis Richey:

PLEASE TAKE TIME TO READ THIS. THE FUTURE OF SPORT FISHING IS AT STAKE!!!

The future of the state hatchery system is in the ways & means committee. H.B. 2260 was passed on without a "do pass" designation, which is very distressing since we as anglers spoke strongly that we were willing to pay to keep the general fund hatcheries operating.

H.B. 3249 (written by Oregon Anglers, and joined by the Steelheaders,NSIA, & Tillamook Anglers) did receive a "do pass" referral to ways & means. It dedicates $30 million of lottery proceeds for the much needed hatchery repairs and modernization (2260 only would cover operating costs- no repairs).

We thought 2260 was a shoo-in, and 3249 a very long shot. Never bet on the legislature!! 2260 is having a rough time, because several influential people down there see it as a tax increase (reinforced by some groups trying to shut down the hatcheries). 3249 has a good chance of getting $$, especially if the members of the ways & means committee get feedback from anglers.

Here is a list of the members that could use some contact from us:

Rep. Randy Miller (co-chair) 503-986-1437
[email protected]
Sen.Kurt Schrader (co-chair) 503-986-1720
[email protected]
Sen. Richard Devlin 503-986-1719
[email protected]
Sen. Steve Harper 503-986-1728
[email protected]
Sen. Margaret Carter 503-986-1722
[email protected]
Sen. Gary George 503-986-1712
[email protected]
Sen. Avel Gordly 503-986-1723
[email protected]
Sen. Frank Morris 503-986-1708
[email protected]
Sen. Jackie Winters 503-986-1710
[email protected]
Rep. Alan Bates 503-986-1405
[email protected]
Rep.Gary Hansen 503-986-1444
[email protected]
Rep. Susan Morgan 503-986-1402
[email protected]

Call or email me if there are any questions.
Dennis Richey, Executive Director- Oregon anglers
503-655-4077, [email protected]

·
Registered
14,507 Posts
ttt

·
Administrator
119,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump!

·
Premium Member
14,745 Posts
i emailed all of them and urged them to pass both bills. i've already heard back from sen. richard devlin. hopefully, it will make a difference. c'mon folks, it only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just emailed them all too. While individual emails to each person with a personalized salutation would be best, some don't have time for that, so to make it REALLY easy for anyone, I've put just the email adddesses below. Just copy and paste them into the BCC section of your email program and type a short letter stating your support for these bills!

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
So I just called Rep. Millers office. The lady that answered the phone didn't know what I was talking about on these two bills. She said to look up the sponser and call them?????????? Good job elected officals and staff.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
HB2260 is in the Ways & Means SUBCOMMITTEE on Natural Resources. Miller is the Ways & Means co-chair. His staff could use a clue, I guess.

the members of the subcommittee are

Sen. Ken Messerle (chair)
Sen. Joan Dukes
Rep. Elizabeth Johnson
Rep. Wayne Krieger
Rep. Susan Morgan

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
ok I have emailed the list. I know Jerry is in Salem today and hopefully some other ifishers made it too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Brine,
I got a kickback on one of the messages also. Apparently the email address for Frank Morse is not correct. (I posted to ifish before I got the kickback on email). If that is the only error message you got then don't sweat it, the rest of the emails got delivered. To anyone else, here is a corrected list:

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; rep[email protected]; [email protected]
[email protected]

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
One reply from my emails this morning from Representative Bates who replied:

Thanks will do. We're getting lots on these bills. Keep the pressure on. We will print your email and place it in the bill folder.

·
Administrator
119,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When you copy things into the BCC: field, you also have to put something in the To: field.

That should be your e mail address.

That way, you have a copy of what you are sending, and you will know it got sent.

People don't like it when you put all those in the TO: field, so BCC is a good plan, always.

:smile:
To the top, too!
Jen

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
I emailed every single person on your list Jennie. Thanks for giving names and addresses, it really helps. :cheers:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Is this an either/or situation? If HB3249 passes do we still need HB2260 to get full funding? I just want to be clear before I write my letter.

·
Administrator
119,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know the answer to your question.

But, here is an excellent letter, written by a member. I just had to share!

Honorable Senators & Representatives,
You will be making a decision on two bills that will effectively determine the future of all salmon/steelhead fishing for the State of Oregon. As you are undoubtedly aware, the only salmon/steelhead fish that may be caught and kept....either commercially or sport-caught... must be fin-clipped hatchery fish. In the previous hearings, it was pointed-out that the economic impact on this state, particularly by sport-fishermen, is in the multimillions of dollars: from fishing rods, tackle & equipment; boats & trailers, (& maintenance of that equipment); vehicles to tow the boats; gasoline to operate all of it; special clothing, boots, waders & jackets; food-smokers, grills & fuel;....in addition to the hotel/motel business & restaurant business on the coast that supports this industry. The proposed closing of hatcheries would severely impact the economy of the North Oregon coast, as well as the "domino effect" of many other aspects of the Oregon economy. The amount of money injected into the fish hatcheries is returned in MANY MULTIPLES to the Oregon economy.

This leads me to my main point: The ODFW ran a survey in meetings throughout the state, to determine the attitude of people who buy fishing licenses. After outlining the non-debatable shortfall of money in our state budget, and the directives of our previous governor to the ODFW, it was asked of the people at those meetings if they would consider an increase in their own license fees, as a DEDICATED FUND to cover the cost of saving the OPERATION of those hatcheries that had been targeted for closure. My wife and I were in attendance at the Tillamook meeting. With approximately 300 people in attendance, there was a nearly unanimous YES VOTE. At the end of the meeting the only two "no" voters spoke out, saying the ONLY reason they voted "no" was because they were AFRAID the increased fees would be RE-DIRECTED into the general fund instead of going directly to the hatcheries.

My wife & I also attended the previous hearing by the legislature in Salem on HB2260. At that hearing there were NO OBJECTIONS to the increase of license fees by the many tax-paying citizens present. Following that hearing, I understand that certain members of the Oregon Legislature who are not really involved with this issue, have been rather vocal in describing HB2260 as an "additional tax" on the public...and would therefore be publicly looked-upon as a politically negative move.

Please let me clarify this misunderstanding. Taxation without representation is the evil process for which this country was founded. A request by the ONLY PEOPLE, THEMSELVES, who are using the products of the facilities they have requested AND ARE PAYING FOR THROUGH THE LICENSES THEY VOLUNTARILY PURCHASES, is NOT A TAX. IT IS A USERS' FEE, for the preservation of the hatcheries, and the fishing of future generations.

Saving the fish hatcheries is not a temporary item. It takes 4 - 5 years for each crop of smolts to return as mature fish. If we close the fish hatcheries, we lose the fish runs of the future. That means that the fishing activities (commercial and recreational) will diminish tremendously, with many allied businesses suffering great losses or failing altogether. Those predicable losses, economically, cannot be justified by failing to continue to fund the fish hatcheries. It is my understanding that H.B.3249 is dedicated to the NECESSARY REPAIRS of the hatcheries, funded from the lottery. H.B. 2260 is to be dedicated to OPERATION of the hatcheries, and is to be funded by the increase of $5 per license voluntarily requested by the vote of those who buy the licenses.

As a native-born Oregonian, whose grandfather homesteaded in Oregon, I grew-up following the traditional activities of hunting, fishing, & camping. The appeal of the state of Oregon has always been its outstanding beauty, and the outdoor activities, bonding with nature. I strongly feel that the current legislature, should act with firm "Do Pass" recommendations by its committees, and will see its way clear to do the right thing on this issue: Pass H.B. 3249 & H.B.2260 for the preservation of Oregon's heritage.
R. Glen Garrett, Portland, Oregon

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.