IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if someone would be kind enough to give a guy some basic pointers on where to fish for sturge around there would be? I don't need specifics or your secret hole but just general areas/depths and whatnot..also if you know of any hazards to avoid a little specifics would be appreciated...thanks in advance and tight lines..JFA:cheers:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
just wondering if someone would be kind enough to give a guy some basic pointers on where to fish for sturge around there would be? I don't need specifics or your secret hole but just general areas/depths and whatnot..also if you know of any hazards to avoid a little specifics would be appreciated...thanks in advance and tight lines..JFA:cheers:
With out being spcific. Learning the correct equipment and the right way to rig up for sturgeon and the bait are the main ingredients. You can catch sturgeon in many places. They have been caught in shallow water and deep water. So like any fisherman, you go and pick a place and take your chances of catching a fish. There are sturgeon catching possibilities in many places.

Good Luck;

·
Registered
233 Posts
hey , 686

i am certainly not an expert in this area but some general information that i would have liked my first trip is....
If you are new to anchoring in deep and fast water then concentrate on the water below the launch.. below the dam can at time be very fast water and is somewhat snaggy.. for the first time I would head down river about a mile or so and fish the flats.. very even bottom around 50-60ft and sandy.. some people call it "horsetail" because you can look towards oregon and see the "horsetail" falls.. you will see boats in that area..also if the wind is really blowing upriver then you can fish the "nursery" hole just below the launch and on the oregon side.. this is a big back eddy and when the wind is blowing upriver it is a nice place to park and you are actually anchored down river from the boat, it is out of the channel and you can put up the top to catch more wind .. this area is named because it holds alot of shakers but i have landed a keeper or two and even on time an oversized without targeting them.. hope this helps.. always wear your lifejacket while anchoring . mark

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
With out being spcific. Learning the correct equipment and the right way to rig up for sturgeon and the bait are the main ingredients. You can catch sturgeon in many places. They have been caught in shallow water and deep water. So like any fisherman, you go and pick a place and take your chances of catching a fish. There are sturgeon catching possibilities in many places.

Good Luck;
THANKS??? I am very familiar with the setup and baits to fish...I am like most fisherman I think? just lookin for some pointers friend, maybe this is the wrong place to ask since my "fisherman" credentials are being questioned over a general inquirey...tight lines

·
Registered
988 Posts
JFA,
When communicating over the phone or by written information the text can be miscommunicated. I did not see where anyone questioned you're fishing ability??? This is a great place to get information. Sometimes there are a few who have a poor attitude and bad mouth people. I am particularly sensative to this as being rude is unaceptable. It seems that in every group consisting of several people there will always be some that cause problems. In your case It seems that you got a PM and some general info. I don't know the area well so I am not able to help. Just take the doom sayers for what they are and appreciate those who are willing to help.
:twocents:
Gil

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
JFA,
When communicating over the phone or by written information the text can be miscommunicated. I did not see where anyone questioned you're fishing ability??? This is a great place to get information. Sometimes there are a few who have a poor attitude and bad mouth people. I am particularly sensative to this as being rude is unaceptable. It seems that in every group consisting of several people there will always be some that cause problems. In your case It seems that you got a PM and some general info. I don't know the area well so I am not able to help. Just take the doom sayers for what they are and appreciate those who are willing to help.
Gil
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JFA,
Gil
point taken, and I do appreciate those that offer help...the text thing can be a little hard to decifer that's for sure...a couple of guys have been more than helpfull already :cheers: so I will just raise my glass to them..thanks fellas

·
Registered
576 Posts
You can catch fish anywhere up there, just make sure you stay out of the shipping channels so keep an eye out for the channel markers the barges use on the bank and try to stay off to the side of where it shows the channel. If you go up towards the dam make sure you have at least 300 feet of rope and a good heavy anchor, you will need to use all of it. I was there Sunday and did best just out from the launch, but if you can get in the right slot near the dam, there were some boats slaying them. To find the slots you just need to try a bunch of different places and also watch others and see how they are doing.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've only tried sturgeon twice, but both times have had fun and caught fish. We just go out of Chinook Landing and look for some water 40-70ft deep... we try to find a seam or a slope and anchor above it. We've only used sand shrimp and most of the time we have bites in the first few minutes. Seems really easy, or I'm an incredible fisherman. ;)

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Does anyone know what the condition of the main ramp is up there, have they repaired it yet?

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
I like Horse Tale just on the edge of channel on the Washington side good for over size at the right time of year. That whole area hold gators. What you can do is cruise around and look for gators hanging from boats and Join in the line. That or use your fish finder and anchor so your boat is 50 to 100 ft above where you marked the fish. Thats the way I do when I am in new teritorey looken for gators, current and depth dicktate how far above the fish ( up river ) your boat should be.

Hope this helps.

DAB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts