IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DAB and I decided to head out with the out going tide over the CR bar Saturday morning.It was a little rough but once outside it paid off. we started trolling at the CR bouy and headed north away from the crowd. We started off targeting Chinook but couldn't keep the Coho off. After releasing several nates ant some selective hatchery rejects we came in with a 13lb,er and three 11lb,ers Last week we went out 5 guys= 9 coho and 1 chinook.
Can't wait until next weekend.

[ 08-17-2003, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: Boatramp ]

·
Premium Member
6,264 Posts
Way to go Boatramp, looks like you got the salmon dialed in.

You mentioned the bar was a little rough heading out....how does your Boulton handle the conditions? If it's not to much trouble, could you share your boat dimmensions and motor size? Are you happy with the boat and would you do or buy anything different?

Thanks,

Gregg

·
Registered
448 Posts
I saw you out there Boatramp. I was in the 19' smokercraft fazer. We were absolutely slaughtering them. We probably brought 25 fish or more to the side of the boat. (A lot of Nates) No chinook, but we took a 13 and a 14 pounder along with our limit of ~ 10 pounders. The smoker is warming as we speak.

If any of you are sitting on the fence about going outside... you gotta go! We baited one line and dropped it and mine was the second to hit the water. I was on the sixth pull of line and the guy who had his line in the water got one on. I started to bring mine in and wham! I got one on. Both of us got them to the side of the boat and wham! the other guy that was with us got one on. It was insane! three fish all at the side of the boat at once. We decided that if it was going to be this easy and two of the three were nates we would release all three (they were all hooked in the lower lip and were still very strong).

One that I brought up to the side of the boat and he brought friends. It kinda sucked because I foul hooked him but when he came up to the side the boat (After three huge runs, its amazing how much power they have when you can't turn them) but there were 4 or 5 coho about a foot under the surface all looking at the guy I had hooked. There were many more stories and we lost a couple of nice keepers that spit the hook at the boat (no barbs of course. It was absolutely an awesome day of fishing. Oh yeah, we came back and had to clean the saltwater out of the engine (yeah right) and went sturgeon fishing on the Willamette. :grin:

·
Premium Member
6,264 Posts
Thanks for the reply Boatramp. Glad your boat is treating you well. Mike built my last boat, a great boat even if a little under powered. Always curious how other Boulton owners are enjoying theirs. He does build a strong boat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love my boat. It is close to the same set up as boatramps. This picture is after the first day in the ocean out of girabaldi. The water was real rough (the coast guard actually closed the bar). I got sick but my kids hung on but were willing to cut the day short. These boats are tough. They handle great and it has more than exceeded my expectations. I would recommend them to anyone.

Here you can see my daughters first ever salmon. And my sons first in the ocean. My brother not pictured took his home instead of helping to clean up. What a punk.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hookset- The Boulton is a 21 ft. Sea Skiff with an offshore bracket I've got a 130 horse Honda with a 15 horse kicker I bought this boat for rough conditions I've been stranded before at Astoria and didn't like it. It's got 36 in. sides and built heavy duty. Every time I take the boat out it continues to impress me Yesterday we went out with the tide and back in with the tide still going out and We felt safe the boat goes where you steer it and stays without being pushed around So far I wouldn't change anything about it I'm totally satisfied

[ 08-18-2003, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Boatramp ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts