IFish.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry this post is so late but I have been traveling quite a bit and finally got the time to post the “Christening of the Most Excellent”. This is a brand new 29’ foot Wellcraft that is one of the best fishing platforms I have ever fished on. Tim and Annie did a great job outfitting this vessel.

Nice Boat
We left the dock at 5am with Cool Cat and proceeded to tuna grounds. We heard there was a bite at 124.44/46.11 line so we headed in that direction. We hit blue water at the 29 line and started see jumpers. We continued out to the 43 line and dropped our gear. We immediately got into fish.

First Tuna on board the Most Excellent
The bite was spotty and we lost several fish. We had 2 Tuna virgins on board Taylor and his girl friend Jen.

Tuna virgin no more – notice spike between the eyes
We got a call from another Dog that there was a good bite going on at the 38/09 line so we began trolling in that direction. Once we reached that area the show was on.

How to gaff a tuna without damaging the meat :laugh:

Captain Tim at the helm
Bernie advised us to cast swim baits if we hooked up on our troll gear. We started doing this and many times ended up with triples. Our casting gear was very light.

Len fighting a fish on Brian’s casting rig (20lb line).

Yours truly fighting a fish on my casting rig (Loomis GL2 with 25lb line)

Captain Tim with a fish on Brians lite casting gear

Boat getting bloody…Brian bleeding a tuna
By the way, if you ever need a crew member Brian (Spazz on Ifish) is an outstanding fisherman and can single handedly run the deck. He is welcome on my boat any time.

Nice catch :smash:
We ended up with 19 nice fish. We lost another 15 or so. It was a great day and a most excellent christening of the Most Excellent.

·
Registered
16,793 Posts
Beautiful pics there of the new boat getting christened tuna-style! Gotta love the light tackle!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice rig, and a great break in trip. Where did you get that gaff? Looks like one of the ones I make.
Indeed Kurt...it is one of yours. It has served me well as has your Halibut Harpoon. I bought it from you 3 years ago I believe.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Great post! Nicely done :clap:

·
Registered
64 Posts
The boat looks great. I love the casting set up. I hope to do a little of that tomorrow.

JB

·
Registered
8,467 Posts
Most Excellent! I own a 2600 Striper moored in Ilwaco and have been looking at that 29 just across the marina. Glad to see it get dirty.
Tim

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most Excellent! I own a 2600 Striper moored in Ilwaco and have been looking at that 29 just across the marina. Glad to see it get dirty.
Tim
Tim had a 26 striper prior to this boat. Nice fishing platform but he had constant problems with his I/O. Lost a starter every year. Gimble bearing failed, etc.. Wanted to go larger and with outboards. He really liked the 2901 Striper as well.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
SWEET! nough said...:grin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts