IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some friends from the farthest corner of SE Oregon joined us for Labor Day. As they were looking to lay in some supplies before winter, we first started out at a special zippered location.
Here's a small portion of our haul:

Mmmmmm. Smushed, microwaved and than served over vanilla icecream - so good it's probably illegal.

With a few buckets of berries picked and frozen, enough to get our friends through the winter, we headed to the river, where we found lots and lots of other friends already there.

After finding a spot that felt right Mrs.Garyk quickly started off with a Tule, which we released. She also finished our day with this chromer:

In between there were three other fish, all URBs..

Here we are back home, just prior to breaking out the vacuum packer:

On Monday, we headed back out to see if we could add to our friend's provisions. Unfortunately, our slot was pretty cold. Again, Mrs.Garyk led off with a released Tule. Then we droughted for a while. With the clock ticking down, I tried some different stuff and was rewarded with this bright fish:

This afternoon we took out an anchor-up newbie. The action was definitely slower. I think we saw about a dozen fish landed for 40-plus boats. Just before low-slack, I got a light tap-tap - set the hook, and our friend eventually landed his first URB:

We've been using leadlines ranging from 4.5' to nearly 7'. Chartreuse tip wobblers have been best for us.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Mmmmmmmmm salmon and black berries over icecream (look at the drool running down my face!)

Nice pics Mr. & Mrs. Gary, thanks for sharing! :cheers:

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5-Cents, indeed that was Sunday's dinner fresh, special marinaded and then BQ'ed URB, and rich vanilla ice cream with blackberry sauce, and between those two courses was cornpatch fresh sweet corn. Yummmmmmm.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Gary that sounds too good! You have to love living here, what a grate state! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I was lucky enough to get out monday after my honey-dos were done, and garyk was nice enough to let me slip in next to him. I figured this was the place to be since garyk is like the crown prince of urb-ania. we were chatting at one point about how slow it was, and how the majority of the fish were being hooked on the outside of the line. Then in an optimistic tone I say, "My rod is going down in 20 seconds". Well i was dead on the money about the 20 second part, just the wrong rod. it was garyk's. the fish was hot and made a b-line for our lines (which we were already reeling up) when i felt a tug on my line.
oh crap, we're tangled! so i free spooled. Then my buddy Bill who was also reeling up informs me hiS line is on it too, so he free spools. As garyk throws anchor and starts drifting back buddy bill asks (tongue in cheek) "should I set the hook??". About that time both bills and my line both go limp and we reel them in completly intact and untangled and gary nets his fish. we didn't touch a fish while there but gained some knowledge and enjoyed the day. nice fish gary!!

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey H2oDog, it was good to meet you and friend. And thanks for suggesting the 'different stuff' it saved my day then (although it didn't work yesterday - 4.5' leadline did.)

Glad you liked my 'no-hands-untangling technique'. Really, someone was smiling on us 'cause when the line came up, it sure looked like a big tangle. :shocked: Proof that it pays to keep cool and not freak out.

Interesting to note that the last couple days some have been having notable success with copper colored wobblers - thereby justifying another trip to the tackle aisles. :grin:

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Slugranch, yes, you are correct. When these three folks came to visit the population for their area was nearly halved. Sometime I'll have to go to their place and go stand on the 3-corners spot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts