IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Don who? The BEST clam chowder is Janis'.

She takes butter clams and...uh..potatoes and..uh...milk and she adds some other stuff and opens and closes the cupboard and the refrigerator and...uh...swishes it around.... Well, anyway, it's the BEST!!!

Skein :cheers:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Ya but Skein- you're supposed to take the shells off before you give the clams to her for chowder! :whazzup:

Otherwise you get rocks in your ummm... well, where you don't want'em! :shocked: :grin: :wink:

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
ROFLMAO!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey, wait a minute! That's not funny! :sick:

Skein

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Don's recipe is good. I have to admit that Emeril's is the best recipe I have ever used. Must be a fat thing.

I use one of those big 53oz cans of chopped clams from Costco. That give you enough clams and also provide the 4 cups of clam juice. I like lots of clams, so I still add extra clams from the freezer.

EMERIL LIVE
SHOW #EMIA28
FALL RIVER CLAM CHOWDER
1/2 pound bacon, medium dice
1 cup chopped leeks (about 1 pound)
1 cup chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 carrot, peeled and diced
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup flour
1 pound white potatoes, peeled and medium diced
4 cups clam juice
2 cups heavy cream
2 pounds little neck clams, shucked, chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
Salt and pepper
In a heavy stock pot, over medium-high heat, render the bacon, until crispy, about 8 minutes. Stir in the leeks, onions, celery, and carrots. Saute for about 2 minutes or until the vegetables start to wilt. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Add the bay leaves and thyme. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes. Stir in the clam juice. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer the mixture until the potatoes are fork tender, about 12 minutes. Add the cream and bring up to simmer. Add the clams and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Ladle into shallow bowls and serve. Yield: 6 to 8 servings

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
In my opinion the best clam chowder I have had and was also rated in New Yorker Magazine as the best clam chowder in the work back in the mid to late 90's is The Sea Hag's Clam chowder in Depoe Bay, OR. Email me and I just happen to have that recipe.

Ron

·
Registered
156 Posts
This isn't home made but try MOE'S Clam Chowder Base from safeway. Follow the directions and then I add more potators and also some shrimp.

Very good.. :wink:

Chris

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
I have heard that the best clam chowder was my ex husbands. He is the owner of the Silver Salmon Grill in Astoria, and has won several awards for it.

However, I don't know it. He took it with him when he left, and put a restraining order on it. :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
OK, I know this post is about clam chowder, but here is a recipe for salmon chowder that is the best I’ve ever had. In fact, this is probably my favorite meal right now. Several years ago I discovered a pub in Stevenson, Washington; The Big River Grill. Their specialty is salmon chowder. Every Friday, they serve "all you can eat" salmon chowder in a bread bowl. When you can't hold any more chowder you finish by eating your bread bowl. Best I ever had, but their recipe is secret. My wife and I wanted to make it at home, and we found many recipes on the internet, but none of them compared to the taste of the Big River's salmon chowder. Then last year, the Oregonian published Skamania Lodge's recipe for salmon chowder. We found ALL of the ingredients at the local Safeway. I would go as far as saying that this recipe even beats the "Big River Grill's salmon chowder. If you try this recipe, here are two tips:

(1) The recipe calls for fresh "fennel bulb." I learned that "fennel bulb" is usually labeled as "sweet anise" in the produce section of grocery stores.

(2) We made one modification to the recipe. The official recipe calls for only 1/2 cup of salmon! We wanted more than salmon flavor, so we put in 1 3/4 pounds, and this was just right. The key to really making this extra good is to use nice fresh salmon. We baste our salmon with a little bacon grease, and grill it in a Brinkman water smoker over chunks of alder. Then we break it into small pieces and stir it into the chowder during the last stage of cooking. Serve with garlic bread and wash it down with a Black Butte Porter or a Full Sail Ale!

Skamania Lodge Salmon Chowder

Makes 6 servings --- Serve with garlic bread

1 thick slice bacon, diced
1/2 medium white onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, cored and diced
1/2 medium fennel bulb, white part only, diced (fennel bulb may be labeled as
“sweet anise” in the produce section)
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 medium leek, white part only, diced
1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
3 cups clam juice
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons butter (optional)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (optional)
1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed
1 ½ to 1 ¾ pounds grilled fresh salmon (this is more than the original recipe
calls for, and is just right)
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Julienned fresh basil leaves for garnish

While salmon is grilling, start cooking the vegetables and other ingredients

In a heavy, 3-quart saucepan cook the bacon over medium heat until just
beginning to brown. Stir in the onion, celery, red pepper and fennel and
saute, stirring constantly, until the onion is transparent, 5 to 7 minutes.
Stir in the garlic, leek and potato and continue to saute for 3 more
minutes. Add the clam juice, bring to a simmer and cook until the
potatoes are barely tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in the cream and bring
to a slow boil, then reduce to a simmer.

Meanwhile, if you wish to thicken the soup, in a small, heavy skillet,
combine the butter and flour over medium heat. Stir with a small whisk
over medium heat until the mixture -- called a roux -- is smooth and
smells toasty, about 3 minutes. Do not let it brown.

Slowly whisk 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture into the roux until smooth.
Add this back to the chowder, stirring to combine. Simmer the soup for 10
minutes. Stir in the corn, salmon, thyme and oregano and heat to warm.
Taste, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with basil

-- Adapted from executive chef Emmanuel Afentoulis, Dolce Skamania
Lodge

[ 06-25-2003, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Waterfish ]

·
Registered
685 Posts
Thanks Jen for the chuckle.

My wife and I went looking for the best chowder on the coast on our honeymoon in '96.

Winner was the Fireside Lounge in Cannon Beach. The log home. Sorry if I got the name wrong. Thickest, meatiest and "potatoeiest." Another requirement is that it had to go well with a dark beer and othe deep fried things.

---D

·
Registered
685 Posts
P.S.

Red chowder is bad.

Stay on the East Coast. Although we could survive on the stuff, it has no place on the West Coast.

---D

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Well, You've all responded well to my frozen clam post, so I'm going to give them a shot. I'm going to thaw them out.

I'd like to know the absolute best clam chowder recipe to date.

Who's got the best recipe they can share? :dance:

The results will be posted.

SKP

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm with Pete. I've never tried Don's recipe, but any recipe that directs you to sautee bacon in butter has to be good.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My best Clam Chowder recipe is to go to the coast, get a limit of cockle clams, bring them home and give them to Brshooter, my next door neighbor. His clam chowder is outstanding

Rubber Hoohs

1 - 20 of 26 Posts