IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just couldn't resist heading out this morning for another shot that adrenaline rush you get when your rod is bent by a little 4lb chrome torpedo. Turned out, I had to work a little harder today, as the water color had changed from the nice emerald green we die hard Steelheaders dream of. To, a clear to light tinted green, what some dread. I had to resort back to using summer tactics after trying hard for an hour in numerous holes, that had produced fish for me earlier in the week. After tying on a dark purple beaded jig, this nice 28" buck just grabbed on for the ride of it's life and what turned out to me mine as well. I was fishing in a huge waterfall hole and there wasn't much room to maneuver, let alone land a fish. I had just made a few casts with my Lamiglass, 8'6" spin rod with a size 3 metallic blue body spinner. The crystal clear flashes from the blade was enough to attract 2 Steelies holding under a huge boulder, but they both turned as they approached my offering. So, grabbed my good ole standby 8'6" Ugly Stick with the bobber set up and jig already to go. Made a minor adjustment to my depth..oh let's say a guestimate of 4 feet from the stop to the jig. Opened my bail, swung back my rod and let all of my soul into the crisp coastal air...the bobber lands into the falls, tumbles a few times, then finally it catches the current and drifts effortessly, what seemed like an eternity. With the blink of an eye, the bobber drops and all I see is a flash of white. The battle was on, he darted upriver immediately, only to find himself fighting me and the crash of the falls. The sound of my reel zinging and the crackling rain on the rocks, was more than enough to get my heart racing and my hands trembling. I would pull, reel down...he would shake, tug, and run. I would turn his head and lead him into the soft water..his eyes starred down and he knew it wasn't his time yet. With one twitch of his body..we were back to the struggle between man and beast. I could finally feel his defeat as I twisted the rod back towards my feet. His ego was dampened, as mine was inflated by the shure nature of beating one of nature's majestic and devine beast. He laid there on the rocks and let me craddle his body into my hands....our journey's complete.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Great work Vu, I hope we can fish together someday. Keep up the motivational posts.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Very well written...oh and nice feesh....

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Great job and story, thanks:bowdown::bowdown:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sweet fish ... I should have taken you up on the offer to meet up. Looks like your really dialed in on the fish! I was driving by the Wilson on the way to the Hospital Hole and I couldn't stop thinking about the Steelhead holed up there! Great story!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Vu,
What kind of bobber you got going there?

Looks cool. I am looking for a new float style for winter fishing. Care to share?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use the Easy Drifters by Danielsons. Cheap cheap...$3-$4 for two of them in a package and some come with the bobber stop and bead. I use 1 oz for wintersteelhead and 3/8 for summer fishing. Put on my bobber stop on the main line, then a bead, and then a small corkey just before the bobber. Run my Stren Braided line(15lb summer & 25lb for winter) through the bobber. Then a sliding snap swivel which I attach a matching weight below the bobber. Below the swivel a bead to prevent line twist and another bobber stop, so if I snag up, I don't lose my bobber. Then a barrel swivel, followed by a 14-18" leader. Hope that makes sense. That's the only way I have ever done it. Per the instructions on the back of the package. I do have pics if you want me to send them, as I have sent them to a few of my buddies here on Ifish.

Deja

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up going 2 for 3 for the day. My first fish was a very nice 30"+ wild coho. It hammered my Vibra fox spinner. It was a very pretty fish, still had some chrome with little red showing. I was surprised, but glad to see wild coho making it up that far. I used to hook them quite often 3 years ago, when I first started fishing the Wilson.

I ended up running to my buddy Mark(BetaHooker) on the upper stretches later in the morning after landing my first fish. We fished a hole together for about 15 minutes. He was tossing eggs, so I thought I would toss a spinner in the white rapids, just above him. My line got snagged up on a couple of big rocks after the current swung the line below me, left to right. I lifted up my rod to get it to come untangle, the next thing I see is a huge steelhead come flopping out of the water with my spinner in it's mouth. It was Hilarous....the spinner was still working while I was trying to losen the line. I knew the spinner didn't stick very well, so I went ahead and told Mark to net the fish before it broke off. The problem was, his net was pretty small and the Steelhead was at least 30" long and a fatty. He had the fish in the net once, but it flopped out. I pulled it back towards Mark, he netted it again, but only about half of the fish would fit in the net...next thing we know, the spinner comes flying out and the fish is gone. Hilarious! Mark felt bad, but I was laughing the whole time. Just laughing, I had one on while I was unfreein a snag and didn't know it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
hey there man you should become a writer that was ver ypleaseant to read i love hearing stories of the fight... great job and nice fish

·
Registered
23,401 Posts
VU.. Very nice report and great story. I like it. Thanks

·
Registered
393 Posts
"The day that I use a bait casting is the day I stop using pink worms" :eek:

I would hope you wouldn't even consider that notion. I love casting with a baitcaster but would be so bummed to hear you had switched and no pink worm. You are definately in a league of your own when the worm is added to your arsenal. Besides... I would have to shake my head to hear if you changed to drifting bait and had better success. I am sure you could though.
I really enjoy your stories with pics.!!! :clap: Great going Vu!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Thanks for the story and pic's, made my morning!

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Awesome story, as usual. So good in fact, eventhough im stuck at home sick i feel like i was there. WTG:cheers:. Also thank's again for the pm, Dean

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Vu,

The more I read your stories, the more I want to become a steelheader. I've only caught two in my life and I am pretty sure they were by accident! :crazy:

Great story and pictures. THANKS

the Spoiled Daddy

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Great post Vu--really makes me want to play hookie and get on the river. Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice piece.
SC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts