IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, while moving down river to the next fishing hole, I had a client that was chewing on a bag of dried bananas and within seconds of him setting his bag down he leaned over to look at the water, passed out, and did a somersault into the Santiam river. HOLY CRAP!!

After a 10 second dead mans drift about 4 inches under water, he came to. Unfortunately for him, he couldn't understand where he was or how he was supposed to get himself back above water. He stayed submerged and just did the wiggle stroke.

While I yelled,"Swim Ryan Swim!!" His partner was doing the swim stroke for him in the boat. Neither method worked for Ryan. He stayed underwater.

I turned my driftboat around with my 8 horse and tried to go back and get him but the front guy missed him crying, "Oh man, he went under the boat!" Actually this turned out to be a good thing because then I had a great shot grabbing him as he came out the stern end and I did.

There is nothing more beautiful than a pasty white 32 year old mans face and wide eyes staring back at you(even when he is just mere inches from my face) when you thought he was dead just mere moments ago. :cheers:

Other than a few broken rods the day ended fine. He went home and dried out and his partner went back out and got his limit of Springers.

Anyway, banana chips will never be allowed in my boat again. :grin:

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Can't blame you for keeping Banana's out of the boat after that one Grant. Had to be a pretty frantic few moments trying to get him back above water and into the boat. Good job on getting both done.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
If something wierd is going to happen, Its going to happen to you! I bet you kept his money too!!!
Im glad he is ok?! I bet that was a little scary!

Let me know if you have a free day in the next couple weeks. I will take you out in the new sled!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Glad he was all right. Man what a site that would of been. I remember when I was little(around 9-10) and was trying to help paddle the raft with my hand while my dad rowed. Low and behold I reached over a little to far and we had splash down. Glad I had a life jacket on but boy was I cold.

Grant, I think I saw you up at waterloo this morning? How'd you do. First trip there this year and it seemed slow. I myself went 0for1. Lost a beauty of a steelie at the bank after a great fight.

Later Geoff

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
HA! You came close to giving a guy that was chock full of banana chips mouth to mouth!
That would have to bring more boat skunks than I care to think about :hoboy:

·
Registered
856 Posts
Well I thought that EVERYONE knew the "Banana Rule", dried or not! No Bananas and no Chicken allowed in ANY fishing vessel! It's a "Ju-JU" thing! I think you will have to check lunch pails of those clients from now on!
GotZem!

·
Administrator
41,375 Posts
Grant, are you going to fit your boat with seat belts? That sounds like a scary experience. Glad everyone was OK. Good thing it wasn't January!

·
Registered
10,879 Posts
Now it's no chicken too?? Pretty soon we won't be able to pack a lunch :grin:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Sounds like you need to brush up on the heimlick (sp?) manuver! With the 5 point racing harnesses it should be pretty easy to get a good grip on the fella! Hope that's the last of the major mishaps for a long time. Maybe it should be baby food for lunches, naw nevermind someone will probabaly put an eye out with the feeding spoon. Good fishing

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Yea, how could something as innocent as a jar of mashed bananas hurt the springer bite? :smile:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts