IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
119,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just walked down to the river to save the remaining 17 steelhead fry, stuck in a fast evaporating pool of water. They were stuck, and I used a net to transport them to the main river. Man, did they smile when they were released! They each and every one of them, turned around to thank me! :smile:

Anyway, after that, I noticed something that Bill would NOT be happy about.

Last chum season, we had many anglers stomp across the river towards our property right on top of where the chum spawn. We couldn't find any "Chum spawning grounds" signs, so we just posted "No Trespassing" at those points, thinking it would deter the people from wanting to cross there.
We posted them so that they were right at the river's edge at about the mean high water stage. No reason to fish at that location on our side, anyway, as it is better fishing on the other side.

So... I notice that the sign that Bill worked hard to put up had been vandalized. This sign was STURDY! They could have just ripped down the sign if it made them upset, but to ruin the whole structure? It was a 3 foot or so solid wood block, and it's cracked in two!

Bill said, "This is the kind of thing that enrages property owners to restrict access and fight against river rights for anglers."

We had a bad experience last year with people littering, and that is frustrating in and of itself, but to vandalize?

We didn't put up one of those nasty,
No fishing
No hunting
No boating
No anchoring signs, it was simply, "No tresspassing" sign that survived being flooded in high waters last winter. The sign was at the high mean water line.

Anyway, folks... I am all for river rights for anglers, but I'm beginning to understand the full spectrum of the problem for both sides. It's frustrating to pick up litter. It's VERY frustrating to attempt to save the chum redds and to take vandalism in trade.
Ask before you destroy things!!! It might end up that you'll find a new place to fish instead of more no trespassing signs.... and perhaps one of those other nasty signs!
Jen

[ 06-15-2003, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
We used to have those kinds of problems on out ranch, put up a sign and down it would come. We finally put up a sign that said "DH&S hunting club members only" there was no club but those signs have been there for 18 years and counting.

G

·
I agree! It's tough to go out there and try to defend the publics right of access to the rivers in Oregon when this stuff goes on :mad: Many landowners have a legitimate gripe

·
Registered
127 Posts
Your first instincts about a sign that says "chum spawning ground" may have right. I'm sure someone out there can help make the sign if you have the design. ODFW might even help or have one ready made. If you need more lumber I will chip in.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Several years ago, we had lot of sp. Ch. spawning on the Trask in a low water area. We build a 4x8 sign with 4x4 post. Statment,( Salmon spawning please do not bother them). Hell they used the sign to tie there boat to while they tried to snag the fish. Go figgure.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
some people just dont care :hoboy: its sad but true and they ruin it for everyone else

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Jennie, I would say that you're wasting your breath talking to this group, I'd hate to think ifishers would be the ones causing yours and other mentioned damages.
I never did any damage when I came to the Tillamook area to fish and recreate but that was years ago. After the land owners in the area closed their properties on the south side of the Kilches above the logging bridge and at the farmers bridge where you used to put the $$ in the old steel fence post and other places the Tillamook area hasn't seen any $$ or anything from me.

Smj

·
Administrator
119,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wasting my breath talking to my friends?

It may not be the usual registered ifish contributers that would cause a problem... I highly doubt that... but ifish reaches many homes.

Not only that, but sometimes you just need to gripe to a friend. :smile:

The one thing I want to get out to the homes that ifish reaches is that there are spots that are heavilly spawned on the Kilchis in the salmon seasons. Please watch carefully when you cross rivers!

..and of course, pack double trash out, what you pack in. :smile: If we all did that, there wouldn't be a problem.

There, I feel better!

Jen

[ 06-16-2003, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Jennie,
Try a differct tactic. Put back up the sign and then add another one near it. "Guard Dogs". I have one on my security fence gate at my office. You'd be amazed at how many people stop in their tracks when they see "Guard Dogs". They might not respect no trespassing but they sure will think twice about "Guard Dogs".

·
Registered
490 Posts
I think that you should put one of those "roadside" memorials with all the flowers and stuff and a sign lamenting the recent demise of a trespasser who didn't read too well.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
"Danger Rattlesnakes", is the best sign. Sure it's ridiculous in your neck of the woods. But you never can be too careful! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
How about: "NO TRESPASSING- VIOLATORS WILL BE REPORTED TO THE TILLAMOOK COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE"

--spud-- :smile:

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Jen and Jerry

You should indeed try a different approach regarding the language you use on any sign designed to prevent unwanted fishing. I believe the following would be most affective:

WARNING: EATING SALMON CAUGHT IN THIS AREA WILL CAUSE ERECTILE DISFUNCTION AND OTHER SEXUAL SIDE EFFECTS IN ADULT MALES.
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :sick:

(I think that should work pretty well :grin: )

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Used to be a sign up Kilches that said,( IF YOU CAN CROSS MY PROPERTY IN TWO MINUTES, GO AHEAD. MY BULL CAN CROSS IT IN ONE MINUTE) I never did hear of any one trying it. JD

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
***- too late for most people who tresspass and litter! :grin:
Jerry- I used to drvie by there JUST to see the sign and have a laugh (usually after a no-fish day).
You're right- never saw a bull but never tried. Sure did think about it though! :grin: :wink:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Jennie, I know you would never do it, but by far the most effective "no tresspassing" sign I ever saw said simply "keep the f... out". I think people got the idea the guy was serious and the type who wouldn't put up with anyone on his property.

It makes me sick for you that you have to deal with that kind of stuff. At the same time I hope I have to someday! :grin:

[ 06-16-2003, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: fisheromen ]

·
Registered
104 Posts
How about the sign that says "forget the dog, beware of owner!" Just kidding... :wink: Seriously tho, some peole have no respect for others at all. I don't see them sportsmen/women, and I wish they'd take up badmittin. Those folks definately ruin a lot of good hunting & fishing spots for us all. Just take a look at the faces on some of the land owners around Burns, if they think you're a "Valley Hunter"! It says it all....

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Jennie, those fry will be so thankful they will return to you their bounty!

As for the frustration of being a property owner on a waterway, I fully understand.

I live on a small creek that sees a small return of fish and am amazed at the disrespect the public has for my property.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts