IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been over a year since my last vacation, I have patiently been waiting for the week of 10/22 thru 11/2 to arrive. My #1 goal has been to hook up with some good freinds and do some salmon fishing in Tillamook for a few day's.

I did just that, and had some great success. Over 6 day's of fishing we managed to boat 16 nice chinook from a 8lb jack to a 43lb giant. We couldnt have done as well as we did without the help of some great people.

First I want to especially thank Dennis and Marie at Tillamook Bait. We were in their shop every morning by 5:30am to load up on shrimp and sardines. One morning we arrived needing some more of Marie's tuna oil. I looked in horror to see that she was out, no problem!! Marie goes in to the back and blends up a couple bottles for us, NOW THATS SERVICE!! :cheers:

I also want to thank Len Self. What a true pro! Every morning I would see Len at the ramp while launching the boat. Len would come up to me and talk about how the previous day had gone. He gave out some great information that definetly helped us make the right choices on where we needed to be at certain times thruout the day. I let him know what my morning game plan was, and he told me that he would see me in the area later and make sure that he left us plenty of room to fish. He did just that, and watched us catch fish, while we watched him catch fish 3 mornings in a row. Thanks again Len, it was great talking to you and fishing around you again.

I also need to thank Rubber Robin. It has been a few years since we have shared a boat, and we managed to make up for lost time. 5 fish by 9:30am. Robin, I hope you still have that smile on your face, I am sure our old buddy Bubba still has his on. It just goes to show you, there are stupid fish!! And thanks for the new line keepers, I showed them around as promised and everyone was really impressed by the new design.

And a big thank you to Kevin, Mark, Scott, Steve,and of course my red neck buddy from N.C. Bubba. Jim, I hope you and your family continue to do well. You guy's have made my week of vacation a great memory I will never forget.

Now I am home doing some honey dues for the wife (paying the fish tax so I can go again Sun.) I will see everyone on the water this weekend, then back to reality Monday.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Great post! That's what fishing is all about - you made my day!

Sure would like to have seen a pic of that 43 pounder though. That's a pretty nice fish.

Good luck on Sunday - and see ya on the water. :cheers:

Skein

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Skein, all of the people I mentioned made my vacation as good as it could have ever been.

One of these days I am going to purchase a digital camera so that I can post the occasional picture. But for now, the memories suite me just fine. :smile:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Rusty,
I can't wait for your next years vacation! Count me in again! I will even write an excuse note to your wife to insist that you must be out fishing for your (and hers) mental health. :grin:

Thanks again for an amazing trip! It was one of my best Tillamook Bay trips ever. The weather was also amazing that day (Saturday). There was no wind and the temp was around 75 deg. This was just back on Oct 25th. Unbelievable!

It may have been a long time since you were fishing on "The Bay" but you have not lost your touch for finding the fish! Yes, a 25#er is a good reason to drink a Mike's Hard Lemonade at 8am in the morning. And yes, another 25#er is another good reason to drink another lemonade by about 8:30am. :cheers: :dance:

5 fish in the am was great but how many could we have hooked if we had connected with every bobber down? You couldn't help it if you were fishing with Jerry's Kids!
:laugh:

Thanks again oh mighty Chinook Master! I will try to post some pics if I can figure out the process again.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Robin, get those pictures up, you and Jim had the digital cameras. Remember, Im the dumb farm kid from Tillamook that knows how to fish, its up to you and Bubba to post the pictures. And yeah its a good thing we didnt land those other bobber downs, one more Mikes that early in the morning and I would have been paying the fish tax to my wife for years. And yes, we will do this again soon, its been to long between fishing trips for us. We cant let it take so long again to hook up and go fishing.

And thanks again Marie, you and Dennis are the absolute best people in the world to deal with. Everyone that I brought in to your shop this week said the same thing..... I now know why you will only by your bait at this one place, good hard working people that are freindly and and always smiling.

Dad's had fish rolling off his gravel bar the last couple of day's Marie, but no biters. I will be there Sunday to see if his grandson and I can change his luck. So I will see you again for some more shrimp and scents this weekend.

Rusty

[ 10-31-2003, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: rebell ]

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Hey Rusty. Glad to hear you had such an awesome trip!
I'm accross the river from you somewhere now and I brought some razor's up with your name on them.

Haven't gone fishin' the last two days or been on the PC but slayed them the two days I fished before that. Kinda spoty though.

Can't remember how far you are from Longview but maybe I can jump accross the river tomorrow to meet you.

Brad's got unlimited long distance so I will try calling you in awhile.

Dan

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Dan,

I thought I heard the phone ring last night. I was allready in bed half asleep when you called, but I got your message. Im not more than an hour away from you now.

I want to hook up with you soon for some silver or steelhead action on your side of the river soon, so please keep in touch.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Second attempt at fish picture coming at ya!!!!!

Not only is Rusty a great fisherman but he also holds the fish for you during pics!!!!! :grin:

You the man!!!!!!!! :bowdown:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
And just when I thought I had this picture thing figured out. Be sure to page to the bottom of the previous post!!!

Another rookie mistake!

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
WTG Rebell,

Saw you there Tuesday AM with Rusty. Three of us in a black A/W. Also saw Len pop a couple right after the turn. Great crisp fall morning. Nice post and nice feeshes. :cheers:

[ 11-03-2003, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Gun Rod Bow ]

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Robin,

You might have better luck if you got rid of that Oregon hat and got yourself a good Oregon St. hat. :grin:

I usually don't even allow hats like that terrible thing in my boat. :wink:

Thanks again anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Rusty remember that is not an O it's zero. Can't wait till the civil war game. Ya had a good time and picked the right week. Had to scatch last weekend for them. But we did find a few that you salmon wranglers didn't get to.
JW

1 - 16 of 16 Posts