30 gal tank
115 hp Mercury 115/115hp Pump?
110/ 9.8 hp Mercury
Boath motors have 100 hrs, They are
Thunderbolts.

Boat was made in Oregon City by Harley Bristol

Trailer Steel single axel with 90% tread on tires

Boat is in almost 90% new

Box for controles are in need of help or replace.

What do you all think it's worth?? there asking

6500.00 This boat has a console/ not tiler.

Thanks for the help. Tight lines, Mr.A

·
Registered
13,824 Posts
Re: Thanks Mojo, Pirate, Here it is,

Do a compression test on both motors. They should be within 10% max of each other. Be wary of one hole having a large variation.

I have a 115 Merc( 1984), and the in line 6 cylinders of that era are prone to problems. But on an 18' boat ( generally speaking) they were the most popular powerplant of the 70s and up mid 80s era.So it is tough to find one that is not underpowered and not a Merc in line 6.

We bought our sled in April. We test drove it for a full day. It ran perfectly.

Since then we have spent 1200 dollars on the big engine and pump.

I post this not to scare you, but to show that stuff happens.Older motors are a crapshoot.

A friend bought an '85 sled that needed a waterpump. He replaced the less than 20 dollar part, and ran it for 4 years without spending another dime on it. So sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

Try to remember that you are basically buying the motors here( I would not give more than 1500 bucks for the boat only, including trailer. Best case is 2000 without the engines). I thought of selling the big engine in the middle of the fixing. But I would only buy another used motor. And who knows how that would turn out.

I regret that I had to put a lot of money into my engine in such a short period of time. But I bought it and, much like the stock market, will take the good with the bad.If I were to sell it now, all I would do is lock in my losses. But at least I know what has been replaced and what may be suspect if something else goes wrong. So I will run it til I want something bigger. Until then, I will fix the thing.

Oh yeah, if it they run good. It don't leak. And the compression checks out... I would reccomend you buy it. This assumes you run shallow water at times. If not, get a V hulled boat with a prop.

Good Luck.

Mark and the dog.

[ 06-11-2003, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Flatfish ]

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The years of the motors are 1979, and the guy says they run just like new?????????????????

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

For 1979 motors his price is high. I'd take the boat to a shop you know and trust, and if the seller balks at letting you take it there, look elsewhere. If the mechanic at the shop says thumbs up, buy it. I'm with Mark, in that older motors are a crapshoot.

Look at the used motors online, and price out what you can afford motor wise...and don't pay much for a hull.

If I was gonna buy a used boat, I'd look at the ones on this board. Folks here are really honest about what you are getting.

I bought my boat used, with a ton of hours on it, and it has never missed a beat. You need to look at a lot of boats, do your research, and make an educated guess. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts