IFish.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was one of the first boats in and one of the last out - but no fish came back in the cooler. We lost 12 of those beauties, 5 broke our line. We were using 30 lb test for both line & leaders, is that too small? Tried screwing around with the drag, but looser seemed to result in having the hooks spit out. Any advice folks?

[ 09-02-2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: cf ]

·
Registered
228 Posts
Grits,

It is after labor day, it will only get better from here. I also launch with the tides and I like it. I do not need to have a fish on at crack of dawn.

CF,

Salmon snubbers? I have not lost a fish which bit and pulled line out this year using them. I use 50lb tuff, 40lb leader and a stiff rod.

Oh yeah, 5/0 and 6/0 hooks!

[ 09-02-2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: BigFish ]

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
That's a tough one cf. I landed 13 of 15 on Saturday, but only one due to a breakoff and the other snapped off on the motor. 30 lb is plenty strong for Silvers. They do have a soft mouth so you have to give the larger ones some drag to play with. I also take the motor out of drive to give less pull on the fish. This is tricky at the deadline, so always have someone at the wheel and watching for other boats. Were all your leaders breaking in the same place? More specifically towards the end? Were you using a leader with the second hook adjustable tied?

90% of the time I will loose a fish with the adjustable tie rigs because the fish with get hooked on the top hook and then it will slide down and snap the bottom hook off. This won't happen if you use the solid tied rigs. There is no need for the adjustable tied rig unless you need it to get the herring roll. Either learn to plug cut or use stronger leaders.

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
CF! What the... 30lb??? I use 80lb Tuff and 50lb leaders... these fish are not leader shy in the least... step it up and you will be glad you did! :cheers:

·
Registered
516 Posts
I couldn't believe there was no line at the boat ramp this weekend. Everyone was launching at o'dark early on the outgoing tide. I never launched before 9:30 this weekend and had no line and lots of fish. We did see a few boats at the ramp that were back because it was to rough. Tried to convince them to give it an hour and it would lay down after the tide changed but they didn't seem to believe me.

At any rate I appreciated the lack of lines at the boat ramp and minimal boat wake on my run out to the zoo.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Dont you love it when people cooperate to make your fishing day that much better :cheers:

2 hours before high, high slack and first two hours of the outgoing are all you need for many, many fishes in Astoria! :grin:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
And I am just the opposite... thanks to all you people who didn't launch early... I launched yesterday at 6:00, had 1 fish in the box and missed 2 more before the tide change. First pass through the boat next to us hooked 3...

It still ended up being a long day, but it was nice to be at an empty launch first thing... I figured we would fish and get ready for the big action when the tide changed... it was pretty consistent all day but I never did see a hot bite..

Rip'N'Lips

1 - 7 of 7 Posts