IFish Fishing Forum banner

Thank you, DepoeBayDan!

711 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  bllelk 
#1 ·
DepoeBayDan was nice enough to extend a blanket invitation to those who want to try rockfishing in and around the Depoe Bay area, and myself, Fish-N-Rush and wife, and Vandal took him up on it.

The weather was absolutely beautiful yesterday, but the wind started early and made it kind of tough-going. It didn't take me long at all to find out that I don't seem to have a black rock bass skunk, which was nice to know for future reference (pictures forthcoming). For some reason when Dan said that we were fishing off of the rocks, I didn't picture it to be 100' off of the water :shocked: If you've got acrophobia, then I wouldn't recommend some of the spots that we fished. Luckily we did also find some productive spots that weren't so hairy.

Overall there were three bass caught and a couple barely sub-legal ling cod, but we had a lot of fun. Thank you VERY much Dan for taking the time to show us main-landers around. I took the fabled Orange Diawa out of retirement for this trip, and I think she belongs back in retirement. Need a rod with more backbone, especially to get those fish up the cliff walls.

#2 ·
Here's the two pics of me catching my fish:

Here I am battling the fish from about a mile off of the water. Check out the cliffs on the other side of me. Funny how catching a fish makes a person forget how scared witless they are.

Here's the fish that I caught. The poor Orange Daiwa almost bit it pulling that one up. For some reason I felt an urge to lip the fish and hollar "YYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!" but one look at the teeth made me decide that it wasn't a good idea.

More pics posted by Dan shortly.

#4 ·
100' off of the water??? Looks more like 4 or 5 feet to me! :laugh:

That was a pic of the Dave (Geek), Craig (Vandal) and a friend of mine from the Willamina/Sheridan area that we ran into fishing right in front of Depoe Bay approx. 50 yards north of the channel entrance.

Fishing was real slow, wind was a factor as Dave mentioned and I was pretty burned out from my Longview trip. But we had a good time and it was a pleasure meeting Dave, Craig, Wade (Bounty Hunter, I think?) and seeing Russ and his wife again whom I had met previously at the Tillamook jetty gig.

Everyone got to take home fresh fish (small amount) and learned how, where & when to fish for rockfish off the rocks. We covered quite a few places and there are plenty more to show them in the future.

I will post some more fish pic's later this evening but for now, I think I will go out and throw some jig's.

Dan

#5 ·
Oh by the way Dave (TFG), I ended up with your neopreme gloves in my fishing vest. If you are not coming down in the near future I might go up to the Clack soon and try bobbering me a springer and maybe I can catch up with you in Milwaukie or leave them with Veronica at Fishermans Marine.

Dan

#8 ·
I just got home and caught 2 lings off the rocks just down the street from my house and half dozen bass and two kelp greenling (seatrout) and I have to go filet them and give away some filets I promised. Started at 6:30PM and almost landed and lost a 15 pound ling right off the bat. Had him right up to the surface of the water 2 or 3 times and on his last run he pulled the hook loose somehow. I was bummed, it was a nice ling. What a difference a day makes. Didn't have the wind and wind waves we had yesterday. I could have limited easily if I would have started earlier.

When I got there at 6:30PM an adult and kids from Willamina were just leaving with a bunch of nice bass, a cabby, and a ling and said it died (the bite). I immediately hooked that big ling after taking pic's of them. I was just getting ready to leave when they started biting and probably threw back 4 lings and caught a heavy sac of fish.

I will post 1 or 2 pic's from yesterday real quick before I go filet them and post some more pic's from yesterday later and start a new thread with pic's from tonight.

Russ being coached by his wife on landing a seabass!

Russ and his bass.

And I caught a bass after some ifisher's informed me that a friend of mine from Willamina that we bumped into was catching some bass. I wasn't bashfull so I went over there and cast a jig. Rod from Willamina had just put 3 big bass on the rocks (spaced out a pic). Russ is the guy in the background.

More later (I got some fileting to do)!

#9 ·
Very cool!! It's nice to see Ifishers out there and having a great time. Catching fish and enjoying life is what it's all about.

DepotBayDan you seem to a very good job at just that.
I missed the jetty gig, however I am known to prowl the rocks from time to time. I hope to fish with you sometime.

Way to go everyone on the nice fish. It looks like fish and chips for everyone!

MH

#12 ·
Yea, thanks for the showing us how its done Dan. I appreciate the pointers and the fish.

I joined the group late (after a Newport Hali trip) as I just happened to recognize Dan out on the rocks. He and the rest of the group were nice enough to let me tag along for the rest of the day. It was nice to meet some more ifishers out on the water. We saw some really neat country and learned a fun technique. My only fish was a 18" Lingcod, but it was my first so I was pumped. I am looking forward to going back and trying again.

#13 ·
I guess i missed my chance for some rock fish action last Saturday. I got there around 12pm (2 hour drive from Portland), a friend and i fished at Boiler bay right off Hwy 101, caught 4 perchs, 1 seabass and one cabezon, lost one Ling though.
The pictures you guys post, doesn't look familiar, where is it at ? Some detailed direction to get there please ?
We'll be back to Depoe bay on wendnesday...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.