IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just watching the evening news and there was a story about 2 teen girls who got caught stealing and there dad made them stand on a busy intersection holding signs with bold letters saying "I GOT CAUGHT STEALING", evidently they were they had to do this for a few day's. once done with that punishment, they are under house arrest for a month and will have to pay back restitution.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
I'd reword the sign - my kid's would say

"I AM A THIEF"

to me the other one makes it sound like the bad thing was getting caught, not the stealing.

But hats off to him. :)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Yes the first day I saw them holding the sign was monday morning about 830am over by the mall, and then the "I GOT CAUGHT STEALING" girls were all over the local paper for a few days with different disputes about the actions taken and the "boyfriends" aka moms husband actions.
But all in all we saw them around town all week in different locations and I think it was a GREAT idea. I just also think he should have gone one more step and made the girls take their hoods off and sunglasses, that way retailers now who the local thiefs are..

But all in all bravo to the man that made these to cousins go out and hold the signs. Albany sure is talk of the news over it.

·
Premium Member
30,286 Posts
I missed the news piece on this but I think it's good - - but, yes, change the sign and lose the hoods and sunglasses. :twocents: Don

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, I agree they should have had to remove there sweaters and sunglasses because as it was , you couldnt tell if they were male or female, and the local merchants should get the opportunity to see who may be ripping them off. If you want to see it Im sure its on ch. 12's website by now. I imagine after this stunt though, theres a good likelyhood they wont do it again.:bigshock:

·
Premium Member
30,286 Posts
Yes, the article is up: http://www.kptv.com/news/13974357/detail.html

Gee, IMHO, I think the dad had the right idea but didn't quite think it through to obtain the intended objective: " Melton, who was always nearby with water to keep them hydrated, allowed the girls to protect their identity by wearing disguises." (emphasis added)

Don

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Yes, the article is up: http://www.kptv.com/news/13974357/detail.html

Gee, IMHO, I think the dad had the right idea but didn't quite think it through to obtain the intended objective: " Melton, who was always nearby with water to keep them hydrated, allowed the girls to protect their identity by wearing disguises." (emphasis added)

Don

I agree, that could be anyone out there, the real punishment would be to do it without the hoods and glasses so that they would be totally embarrassed by what they have done.

MD

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I think they should have had the hoods off as well, but in a small area like albany, I am sure most people knew who it was. I would do the same thing though and make them pay of the fines, they are 16 they can get some kind of job. I know if I would have been caught stealing I would have had to pay everything back MYSELF!

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Hoods no hoods....geeze give the guy credit for having the balls to do it in the first place. Too many parents (and likely myself) would be too ashamed to go public and want to deal with this behind closed doors. Lets applaud the effort and not knock it!

I say BRAVO :applause::applause::applause:

Jim

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hoods no hoods....geeze give the guy credit for having the balls to do it in the first place. Too many parents (and likely myself) would be too ashamed to go public and want to deal with this behind closed doors. Lets applaud the effort and not knock it!

I say BRAVO :applause::applause::applause:

Jim
:agree:

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
1st - I hope and pray that I am raising my children in such a way as I never have to deal with this kind of situation! :pray:

2nd - I also hope and pray should this situation enter our lives that the Lord gives me the strength, courage and the wisdom to administer a life changing lesson for the good of our whole family!
I believe that this father did just that and my hat is off to him! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
30,286 Posts
Hoods no hoods....geeze give the guy credit for having the balls to do it in the first place. Too many parents (and likely myself) would be too ashamed to go public and want to deal with this behind closed doors. Lets applaud the effort and not knock it! I say BRAVO :applause::applause::applause: Jim
Jim, your point is well taken and I do give him credit for trying to do the right thing - - I just feel w/the shades, hoods and signs that seemingly point-up more the getting caught versus the act itself detract from the lesson he probably intended. Don

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I saw the piece and was impressed. Impressed that this was not a slap on the hand penalty but one the girls will REMEMBER. It does not matter that they wore hoods and glasses except to the curious, the girls were had to spend time holding signs admiting a wrong many times, they will remember that. They will remember they could have done something else than holding a sign.
Further they will pay restitution in some form, they will remember as they work it off.
When they are tempted to steal, they will remember
When they are older and more mature they will remember and say thank you.

·
Registered
627 Posts
OK, this is a good thing, teaching young un's about accepting responsibility for one's actions.
Perhaps this guy could of taken away their cell phones for a month, too. That would really sting them. But then the ACLU might threaten to sue for cruel and unusual punishment.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
30,286 Posts
OK, this is a good thing, teaching young un's about accepting responsibility for one's actions.
Perhaps this guy could of taken away their cell phones for a month, too. That would really sting them. But then the ACLU might threaten to sue for cruel and unusual punishment.:laugh:
'Hadn't thought about that - -- - heck, he'll probably hear from them :frown: anyway. Don

1 - 20 of 24 Posts