IFish.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paramount and Dreamworks said todaythat they're abandoning support for Blu-ray Disc and will begin putting out their movies exclusively on HD DVD, one more step in the aggressively consumer-unfriendly march of large entertainment and tech firms (Sony on the Blu-ray side, Microsoft on the HD DVD side) to leave many people sitting with obsolete equipment -- and to drive both of these allegedly next-generation discs into the ground...
source

I have been watching this war going back and forth for a while... I can't help but wonder if Sony is going down the same path it had with the Beta video tapes?!?! Blu-ray may be superior but if the backing isn't there....

I want to get some of the newer movies on the better than DVD format but really don't want to end up with today's version of the Betamax...

Has anyone made the jump? thinking about it? are you leaning one way or the other?

·
Registered
187 Posts
source

I can't help but wonder if Sony is going down the same path it had with the Beta video tapes?!?!

..thinking about it? are you leaning one way or the other?
Sony did the same thing with the Mini-Disc in the late 80's early 90's.

I'm not going to make a move until the dust settles and someone is very much on top. I'm sure it won't be much longer.

m

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Being a real cutting-edge techie type, I am planning to make my choice no later than, say, 2015.:smirk:

WOW Thumper, why the rush?! ;)

·
Registered
13,535 Posts
Blu-ray was the final straw in us buying a PS-3 a while back; looks incredible on a 50" HDTV.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Blu-ray was the final straw in us buying a PS-3 a while back; looks incredible on a 50" HDTV.
The DVD format war is on of the reasons I am buying a Xbox 360. If Blu-Ray looses, than I am not stuck with a Beta or Mini-Disc player. If Blu-Ray does win, I am sure Xbox will come out with a Blu-Ray for it. Too many dang tech decisions, I also need to decide which HD television to buy when or if the DVD war ends. (LCD, Plasma, .....) :passout:

·
Banned
120 Posts
Being a high tech guy i will wait till they have brought out a standard for blu ray at least...

right now i will stick to my upconverting dvd player.:twocents:

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
The adult x industry has chosen HD over bue ray.. and they are capable of loading the market/demand to one side. Remember technology wasn't why VHS won over Beta.

I am betting on HD at this point.. but then I bet on Beta :passout:
gus

1 - 11 of 11 Posts