IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Teamfish

I guess today while I was fishing, you started a post upset about my cure. Well let's see, you said cure from front page that has a website with directions. I'm banking that it was my cure. I can say without a doubt that you did one of three things wrong. Either you used too much cure, drained the eggs too soon or cured the eggs in the fridge. All three things can be rectified. If the eggs are too hard, soak them in the cure juice for more time, and they will be fine. If you used way too much cure, this might take a couple extra days. People that have not used chem. cures much have trouble sometimes overdosing the eggs the first time. Use a little less, and the eggs will come out fine.

It's time like this that are the best advertisement for my cure or eggs. Thanks to Fishing is Life, cooter, Skp, Blackdog, Wetaline, Pete, Cohoangler, Tila , JohnB, Tanner, Hooker, 5-cents, Salmon Stryker, Sturgeon 42, Steelhead hound, West linn Wader and Drunk Cowboy for all the nice things you all said about my cure and that all this guy had to do was call me. I could have talked him through this problem in a minute and saved this guys eggs.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
I was glad to see scott's cure at G.I. Joes but beware every time I Go to try to get some the store is stocking it on the shelf thus ruining the cure due to the moisture getting in .Hope they fix the problem soon,It needs to be in the freeze.I have used your cure and have had good results.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Delta Park GIJoe's has the cure in a freezer/fridge on the counter at the back.

BTW - it comes in a handy sprinkler container now. Convenient.

StinkyH

[ 10-06-2003, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: StinkyH ]

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Stew, the answer to that is yes, Hillsboro GI Joes is carrying it. You might need to ask them though, I think it's in a back freezer. I got some cure a couple weeks back and they had to get it from the back freezer.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have to chime in here also. I had the same problem as Teamfish. My eggs came out hard as a rock :mad: . Not only where my eggs hard as a rock but there was also about a gallon of egg juice all over my counter and kitchen floor. I guess I did not close my bag good enough
. Along with my little mishap(luckly I live alone) I think I may have used to much cure.
For my second try with Amerman cure, well what can I say, AWESOME. These eggs turned out to be some of the best eggs I have ever cured. Don't kid yourself I made sure that I put my curing bag in a container this time. Scott your egg cures are great and I think a word of advice is: "You do not need to use a lot of cure to make your eggs look great". Another happy customer here............chris

[ 10-06-2003, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: fishnxtc ]

3,877 Posts
I have a question about this cure.

I went to GI Joes and picked some up tonight and in my excitement to fix dinner for my wife and do some chores and watch the MNF game and the baseball playoffs, I forgot to put the cure in the freezer

It dawned on me it was setting on my dining room table so I hope I didn't ruin it.

It was not clumpy or anything and I tapped it around the counter a few tims and it went in to the freezer. No clumps & still granulated.

The question is, is it OK since it sat at room temperature for 4 hours????

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts

FWIW - this was my first attempt at curing eggs ever - used the Amerman's cure with great results(as far as a greenhorn can tell). Was pretty simple really. The most difficult part was cutting up the skiens and keeping those membranes in tact and in usable sizes. I think the next time I might cure the skeins in larger chunks - maybe even halves and then cut them to bait size when I thaw them for use. Maybe easier to cut the cured more firm skien?

I think I turned them once every hour or two while I was awake(anxious). There was not much juice in the bags with the eggs when the 48 hours was up. I took them outta the ziplock bags put them in jars(sealing with wax paper burn). I didn't dry them at all. The little bit of fluid that was with the eggs when I was done curing was almost a syrup and coated the eggs. Little was left behind in the bags. The eggs were firm - as in plump with fluid.

Pretty neat how when you first start the curing process they juice out and look deflated within a few hours and then reabsorb all that fluid by the end of 48 hours. They sure look pretty. Can't wait to test them.

The container is enough to cure 10 lbs of eggs. I cured 5.5 lbs and used just over half.

StinkyH

P.S. - anyone know how long you can keep these in the fridge after thawing them in the fridge? Days? Weeks?

[ 10-14-2003, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: StinkyH ]

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Scotts cure is a great cure, follow the directions and everything will be perfect. I add a few other things in when I do mine but those are the chances I take :smile:

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have used Scott's cure since this spring and put a serious spanking to the fishies. I even used it on immature springer eggs for springers and it still outfished eveyone else with their "whatever-cure." Like Scott said, this is the best advetisement he could get. Personally, I think it's great to see a local boy make good. Scott. You have me hooked (every pun intended)! Keep it coming!
I just oreded two 5lbs. bags the other day.
Ragnar

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Scott-
You cant make 100% of the people happy 100% of the . I know that your cure is solid and proven. Just like you said chem cures are sometimes difficult to figure out in the beginning. I'll be seeing you in a week or so on the river. Take care.

John Barth

3,877 Posts
Thanks CohoAngler.

I figured it was going to be OK. I typically use my own cures but I have to have another weapon in my arsonal per say and with all the positive results being highlighted i figure I need to have this as well.

I look very forward to using this product.

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Ok just had to chime in here. For those of you that buy a commerical cure you can not go wrong using Scotts cure. Sure there are alot of good cures on the market and his is just one of them (one of the better ones I might add) but it's the fact is that Scott cares. If you have an issue you can call him up and actually SPEAK TO A PERSON, if fact you can talk to the man himself and no matter what he will be square with you. He is a stand up guy. I get nothing for this post and could care less what cure you use, but make good decisions, bleed your fish, pay attention to the little things, don't fish Nanooks hole, have fun and catch lots and kill even less....... FB

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have cured 20 full qt jars in the last 2 weeks, and have 6 skeins in the cure right now.I am curing them just the same way as StinkyH, If i could send a picture that is what they look like! fishing has been great to my son and i for lots of sweet hens this past couple of weeks. i cant wait for the trask to heat up so we can sample them, all i have to say about this cure is it is very simple if you can read, or have cured eggs before! Do they look good after a year or so in the freezer? i have already got the air out by the burning wax paper trick.

G

·
Any Amerman eggs you don't want, I'll pay the shipping. :smile: Scott's Dad and Scott have been doing this for a very long time. Pretty much a proven product. Nothing to gain or lose for me either. I've seen his Dad catch a springer in a mud puddle in the parking lot :cool: My two cents don't mean squat in real life, just my observations over the years. A public blasting without the facts, does suck, then having to respond with a public defense, sucks even worse.

Fishbait, if you chime in, it must be so. :tongue: :wink:

By the way.....
"don't fish Nanooks hole"

:sleep:

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Originally posted by Amerman:
I can say without a doubt that you did one of three things wrong. Either you used too much cure, drained the eggs too soon or cured the eggs in the fridge.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Scott - Question about the "cured the eggs in the fridge" bit. I have never used your cure, but I do use a combination of two other well known cures. On hot, and one not-so-hot. After sprinkling on the cure and puttin the eggs in a jar, I just let them cure in the fridge for 4 days, flipping over the jars ever 6 hours or so.

Would you tell me to stop doing this? If so, why? The only thing I can think of is that the fridge is probably slowing down the curing process. Once they go in the freezer, the curing process stops.

Just curious as to why you said the bit about the fridge, and if that only implies to your cure, or curing in general.

[ 10-07-2003, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: parker ]

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to everyone that said all the nice things this is why I love making cure--all the happy stories.

K H H: Your cure is fine. It just should be stored long term in the freezer.

River Ranger: We have talked to all the stores, and our cure and eggs should be better kept now. If anyone cannot find it at any store, ask someone in the Sporting Goods department.

StinkyH: Thanks for the pictures. The eggs will store for months in the fridge or years in the freezer.

Parker: I would only say change things if you are using my cure. My cure has a couple ingredients that activate under warmer temps. ( this is why we store it in the freezer). Curing eggs with my cure in the fridge will keep these ingredients from activating like they should.

Thanks again all. I will check back tomorrow and try to answer more questions if anyone has one.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Kentucky HH - Leaving Scott's cure on the kitchen counter for a few hours won't hurt it. But if you leave it at room temperatures for a few weeks, it's likely to get clumpy. I left two pounds of it at room temperature for about two months and it was like rock. But I was able to break it up without much difficulty and it cured my eggs just fine. But now I leave it in the freezer and it's like new.

I tend to use more cure than Scott recommends but I have not had the problems described by some folks (e.g., hard, dried eggs). My eggs turn out incredibly bright, perhaps a bit too bright for steelhead. But that's my fault for using too much cure.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Love my Amerman cured eggs. I have about 20 quarts put up in the freezer waiting for winter steelies, and spring chinook on the Santiam. We had an awesome year using Scotts eggs, and then his cure. Its pretty near fool-proof...........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts