IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine my delight (as expressed by my smile below) when I was out silver fishing today and I was pleasantly surprised by this handsome tule mauling my wiggle wart!

http://www.ifish.net/uploads/521018281.jpg

This made my day as the upriver tule's are easily some of the best eating fish around. Here's how we fix them: At home I take it back to my compost and beat it against the side of the bin a bit. This loosens up the skin so it can easily be peeled off. Then I brace the fish against the side of the bin on the ground and with a swift kick remove it's head (makes great fertilizer). From there it's back to the kitchen where the skin is removed and discarded and the tail is twisted off. We usually don't find it necessary to cook the fish at all - it flakes right off the bone into the food processor.

I usually add a cup of mayo for every 2 pounds of fish and throw in some tarragon vinegar, salt, and scallions (one variation is to go with liquid smoke instead). A quick whirr and you've got some of the best spread around. I give the kids a box of triscuits and this spread and they are always begging for more.

The rest of the fresh fish can be frozen without losing any of its eating quality.

In my opinion these are one of the most underated fish out there!

Enjoy!!!

Steve
Team Tule

[ 10-09-2003, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: fisheromen ]

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
your kidding right?? If not Thanks for the free appetite reducer.=)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ugh, I don't think I'll eat for a week now.

StinkyH

P.S. - that is pretty damm funny.

[ 10-09-2003, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: StinkyH ]

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
tastes like....

·
Registered
294 Posts
(Granny Clampet voice)

I betcha that'd be a mighty tasty substitute in my road kill stew.... HEEEEEHAAAAAAW
:sick: :sick:

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
:laugh:

Steve,

Come up to the Lewis. We have a few thousand of them just dying to meet you. :wink:

:smile:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Now THAT was one of the funniest posts I've read here in a LONG TIME! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Right up there with some of Hogmaster's impeller stories! Too funny!

Thanks

·
Registered
924 Posts
Fisheromen,

Please, please, please step forward and elaborate.

As I see it, there are two choices. The first is, you are dead serious. The second is you have immense literary talents.

In either case, please step to the front of the line and accept my

I haven't laughed that hard in some time. YUK!

PS - The visual of your kids begging 'Steve's Tule Pate' is pretty funny.

[ 10-10-2003, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Redbull ]

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whaaaaat?!?!?!?!

I feel like you guys are making fun of me! I mean I knew that my opinion of Tules might engender some debate but I at least thought I'd be taken seriously!

What does it take to get a little respect around here?!!!!!

Seriously though....

I did actually try to smoke and eat those things in high school. Couldn't figure out why they never came out very well. Fortunately experience taught me that no matter how fun it is to catch one, or how bright they might be, IT IS NEVER, EVER worth keeping a tule (unless you are desperate for fertilizer or in order to convince some poor neophyte how tasty they are so he takes his home as well - but that would be intolerably cruel). Let me stress that again, NEVER.

Glad you enjoyed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice recipe Fisheromen, I used something similar to create an exterior spackle for filling in imperfections in my siding (lower ratio of mayo to tule). Now I have to see if I can come up with a good bondo mix :smile:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
SpinnerDog,
I think the only other ingrediant you would need to complete the formula for your bondo mix would be some Willamette River sturgeon meat. If it works maybe you and I could get together and Discuss a patent. :smile:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I cooked some up for my wifes cats, hoping they would choke on it, and they turned up thier noses at it!!! :shrug:

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is similar to a recipe I have for Tule's. Place a Tule fillet in the oven with a brick and bake for 45 minutes. Remove fish and brick, throw away fish and eat the brick...

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I almost threw up :sick: :sick: :sick:

What a funny post

1 - 20 of 30 Posts