IFish.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3/4 of Team Baby Arm hit the water today. Big & Bright, Bobby, fished up near Sellwood & OC today. I will let him tell his story but he boated this nice bright fish

ZaQ and I along with GI Joes superstar Stever fished the big river around St. Helens. The other 1/4 of TBA was working, say it aint so Chris!

We got to the ramp at 5:15 and were out to one of my honey spots. The action was very steady through morining till about 2 PM then came to an abrupt halt.

Things started off with my rod pounding down. Stever yelled at me so loud that I instantly had strike anxiety, jumped up to set the hook too soon and lost the fish after about 30 seconds.

Not long after Zaq had a nice pound down that was ripping line off his rod, when he set there was nothing!

After that I had another drive by then Zaq had another pound down but came up empty

A little while later as all of us were sleeping I hear my clicker playing that sweet music. I jump up and set the hook on this nice fish that came in at 18lbs 2oz on the dig scale

The fish is only half the story here. As Stever was going to grab the net he knocked ZaQ's GL2 into the water out of the rocket launcher. Fortunately he was able to pull it from the depths of the Columbia before it sunk! Then as he went to net my fish he tried to stab the thing off. He actually got my favorite kwik, Old Reliable, hooked on the brim of the net with the one point that was not in the fish. The problem was the fish was on the outside of the net! I ended up gaffing the fish into the boat. Steve felt real bad.
and gave me this Clown Frown so I forgave him, after all we got the fish. Check out my "OR" and how bad she got tweaked, I think Stever was trying to send her to the deep!

Notice the back hook is all gorked out and the belly hook was ripped from the split ring. By the way do you know how to tell the good plugs from the bad? The good ones have lots of teeth marks like "OR"!

We motor back up on anchor and sure enough ZaQ gets pound downs 3, 4 & 5. Whiff, whiff & whiff

All in all a good day on the water but horrible odds on the fish. We ended the day 1-8, 1-3 for me and 0-5 for ZaQ. The nice thing is ZaQ found a plug that flat out works for him, the CA Watermelon K-15 style.

Fished in 16ft of water with wrapped kwiks. Sardine/Anise scent was the clear leader today on the takedowns. Had a great day with two good dudes! The last 3 trips to the big river my boat has had 17 takedowns! Good way for me to close out the year on the big river!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Just curious as to what part of the river you were fishing in. My girlfriends father is here from Utah and has never caught a salmon. I have 2 days to do it, going out tomorrow and fri. Still trying to decide where to go...CR or Willy? Decisions, decisions....any tips? Take care. PM me if ya like :smile:

[ 04-30-2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Rimshot ]

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Glad to see that TBA did all right today. The part I really love is the 1 or 8 :whazzup: . There is somthing just flat out wrong with that Steve I always bring someone to net my fish other than steve.............Chris

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
0 for 5! 3 of those pound downs were tip to the water downs, and when I would get to the rod it was up and the old Kwiker was working again. Not much you can do about those. Den, the other two were pounding and I let them pound until line came off the reel. Both times line started to rip, and I would pick the rod up and there was absolutely nothing there. I would just put the rod in the holder and curl up in the fetal position at the front of the boat and rock myself to tears. I couldn't believe it.

Thanks for a good trip and good shooting the MARF with all!

[ 05-01-2003, 05:43 AM: Message edited by: ZaQ ]

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Great Story!!! and nice Joe cool Pic :wink:
always entertaining :grin:

Just imagine if you guys boated every fish that gave you a pound down.

Hey Steve, I like that Clown frown, Where's yours Shane?

Sorry Zaq, Drive bys have been a problem as you and I know, I'm designing a little contraption that will help.

Sellwood Report..Pic up above
Well, My day ended in success but I thought it was going to be better by all the reports. We fished the sellwood area today from 06:00 to 13:30. My Father in-law hasn't got a springer this year (Slamin Salmon)
so today was the day at 09:30 he gets his viscous pound downs rod tip in the water, He fights it for around 10 SEC and then off :mad: :mad:
Next time Mike, 13:00 rolls around and My rod starts pounding & slammin, starts peeling off line, this Chromer was a hot, Hot mama I'm talking torpedo fight the whole time....in the boat, gills cut.

We were using C/P Herring (blue) w/flash and without & 6oz lead. I tried to keep or bait down around 18 feet. All in all I seen around 1-2 fish caught every hour and there was no hot bite.

Good luck out there
Bobby

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Poor ZaQ, he got a blister on this thumb because he started sucking it while he was crying after cracker #2 :hoboy:

ZaQ, fishing is a numbers game missing those 5 fish just means the next 5 are in the bag... are you feeling sick? Maybe you should not go to work on Friday :wink:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Karma is something that you and I definately both have. :dance: I was trying to tell those guys how to achieve good Karma yesterday :wink: :grin:

BTW ****** is that an "Old Reliable" peeking out of the self on the boat there on the bottom right of the picture??? :shocked:

[ 05-01-2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: 5-Cents ]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good job " 3/4 Team Carrot Milk & Steve " Sounds like a spectacular day of action! :cheers: See you guys on the river real soon! Save some fish for " Team 1/0 ".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts