IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sincere question was lost in the jocularity of the 75-lb'er picture thread ...

When you have a fish "mounted", do you get to eat the fish?

As I have stated, I have no interest in trophies - if I catch a fish, it's going back in the water or "get in my belly!" - but my understanding is that modern taxidermy consists of creating a fiberglass replica of the fish, based on measurements and photographs.

:whazzup:

Can you have your fish and eat it too? Or does it get trashed? Just curious.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
From what I understand, the taxidermist creates a duplicate fish. You just take lots of pics, take measurments and he does his best to copy it. So yes, you get to eat it. I used to wonder how in the world swordfisherman were able to transport a huge fish, whole, to their taxidermist. Turns out they didn't.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
There are two types of mounts. A skin mount, where they actually use the skin form the fish as well as it's head and fins. A good taxidermist will save the meat from the fish if you wish. This method means the fish was killed. Another type of mount is a fiberglass mount. These can be done by photograhing the fish and taking quick measurments (length & girth). The taxidermists will create a fiberglass reproduction of your fish and you can release them.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Skin mounts eventually decompose. It may take decades, but they eventually look shabby. The only way to go is fiberglass representation. You do not have to kill the fish, just measure as many places as practical, and take a few photos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts