IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
119,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know all about this, but I just wanted to remind people of an option.
If the water on the Columbia gets too rough, please think about taking out at the closest ramp, rather than risking running across.
You can always take out, and get a ride to your trailer.
Several people have done this to avoid an accident and know more about the options than I do, but I thought I would bring it up.
Sometimes the water can kick up and get downright dangerous out there.

Pay a taxi and save some lives!

Jen

[ 08-19-2003, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Administrator
119,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David, you posted some really good info about this at one time, I think...

Can you repost it? Do you have any numbers or who do you call, and from where?

Jen

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I searched but couldn't find it Jen.

But this is what to do. If you are out on the water on the Washington side and it gets too rough to get back to Hammond here's what you do.

My first option is that I troll with the outgoing tide all the way down until I'm accross from the flag pole (just below Hammond) and then I run accross the channel and then up along the Oregon shore.

If it's too rough for that either go into the Washinton side or cross the river and take out at the East Morring Basin in Astoria.

If you are going to cross the river to Astoria it can be tricky and very shallow. There's a way across the sand flats that you just have to kind of know or you can also cross right next to the bridge. At low tide crossing at the bridge can be too shallow but half way through the tide should be fine, it helps to have a jet pump though.

Once you've made it into port find a phone book/phone booth and call a cab. I think there's a pay phone near the bathrooms at the East Basin.

·
Registered
135 Posts
a guide turned saleman for custom-weld,who shall remain nameless,was guiding for springers in the hood river area, when the wind came up, and big, he dropped his customers off at a close dock, and figured he could make another 5 miles up river to the putin dock, he did, but broke out all the tempered! glass out of a 23' custom ouch, and peeded blood for awhile. so i would have to say don't be stupid cause you have "big" sled.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
And take it easy when the going gets rough, just plow through. Like I said I usually just troll down through it until I can cross the river.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you get caught on the washington side go above the bridge halfway to the rest area [apx 1/2 mile],and then head diretly for the upper end of east basin on the oregon side. uaually you will have at least 5 ft. of water unless there is a minus tide.
I dont have any problem with getting a taxi for $15 to get back to hammond or warennton
phone is at entrance to east bay moorage.
[female taxi drivers are a bit friskey.]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts