IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats a fun place to go. When I was there we jumped a few each day but they are hard to hook. It was several years ago. That hot weather nearly killed me. Couldn't wait for a little cloud to cover the sun for a minute or two.

Did land one estimated at 150 pounds and took me 65 minutes to land on 30 pound mono.

Yes, it is very exciting to see a herd coming at ya just a gulpin' and moving closer.

We went to Islamarada(sp) and fished with a guide named Richie Amarado. Not a very talkative person. Just answered when we asked a stupid question to him and that was about it.

Glad ya had a good time but it sure is nice to get back to the coast and get some real weather.

fop

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
fop: Ya', I was really glad to get back here too. The mosquitos were terrible. :mad: I started sweating when I got off the plane and didn't stop till I got back to the Northwest. :shrug: What a sight to see those huge fish coming in "herds" like that. :grin: :grin: Our guide (Jerry Murphy) was a lot like yours. He did't talk a whole lot either. I'm glad that you got to jump some fish and also land one. I think that this is the exception rather than the rule from what we saw.......but it was fun. Would you go again? fishrite

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
man i wanna catch a tarpon....maybe someday soon...glad u had fun....

·
Registered
149 Posts
:smile: Welcome back Terry, sorry to here that yall didn't hook any big scalies. :shrug: But now you can I mean now we can start catchin some good red meat.HA HA :wink: PS I'm sure you had some quality time with Jeff that you will also never forget

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
We visited a friend in Guatemala about 30 years ago. He had been in the Peace Corps there, working with people in the jungly Peten area. We travelled by dugout canoe to a lake where we fished for tarpon. My friend and I trolled with reasonably stout gear while my wife fished with a trout rod. She had a half dozen strikes that immediately popped the 6 lb. line. We finally did hook a tarpon on one of the heavier rods and got it all the way to the canoe but could not get it into the canoe. I don't know how much it weighed, maybe 80 - 100 lbs. Pretty exotic stuff, fishing for tarpon in the jungle from a dugout canoe, hearing the howler monkeys in the trees.

I'd still like to catch a tarpon, but right now I'd settle for a salmon.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Billy: It was spectacular to see those big fish come after the fly. They just would not eat. :mad: :mad: We still had a wonderful time together. I sure do not like the South. Humidity, mosquitos.....I'm really glad to get back to the Northwest. :cheers: Terru

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Billy: It was spectacular to see those big fish come after the fly. They just would not eat. :mad: :mad: We still had a wonderful time together. I sure do not like the South. Humidity, mosquitoes.....I'm really glad to get back to the Northwest. :cheers: Terru

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
:shrug: Well, we are back from Florida. We are sunburned and redfaced :blush: :blush: because we did not hook a tarpon. We just could not get any of the fish to eat. :shrug: We broke 3 of 4 from the pack and had them chase the fly, but just would not eat. My son, Jeff got to cast to a "Triple Crown" in one day :bowdown: (thats a Tarpon-Permit-Bonefish) but only got the Bonefish to bite. It was a nice Bone, larger than any of the fish that he caught at Christmas Island, but that was it. The bones there were very shy of the boat. The experience was terrific. We got to see lots of migrating tarpon and got to cast at schools of 50 and over.It was spectacular to see them "glupping" air on the surface of a flat ocean. None of the other guides in the area got any fish to eat while we were there either......BACK TO SPRINGERS NOW. :dance: :dance: VERY SERIOUGLY!! Terry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts