IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else thinking about doing some backtrolling at the mouth,Lots of fish there plenty still bright. :cool:

R.R.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hmmmmmm......was thinking about hitting the bank over there.
Wondering how crowded it's going to be though. :whazzup: Anyone been sturgeon fishing up there to see if just below the dead line is elbow to elbow? :shrug: I hope not.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure there will be a few on the bank,Last year we watched the bank guys do real well on bobber and eggs.And yes it does open thursday.

R.R.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've done fairly well this year just below the dead line with spinners. I might just have to get up there in the next week or so. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
348 Posts
All be out there back trolling if the bank mags don't kill me first. :grin:

And maybe a little oversizing.

[ 10-15-2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Steelhead Hound ]

·
Registered
441 Posts
Oh yea! I'll be there chuckin bobbers! :grin:
I've been waiting for this show for quite a while. :dance:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Can anyone give me directions on where to pull off the freeway for a bankie? I know its up near Bonneville but not sure about the local directions. PM is ok.
Thanks SS

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Pretty simple. Take the Bonniville dam exit and go under the over pass. The road makes a "Y". Take the left route and stay on the road and cross the little railroad bridge. There is a big gravel parking lot there. Park and used the access stairs at the east end of the parking lot to hike down.

Have fun.

·
Registered
532 Posts
are people bank near tanner or fishing right in the creek itself?

Does plunking up there this time of year require a ton of lead? Or are there other techniques that would be better suited?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Most of the area near the mouth of the creek is going to be bobber fishermen. A few guys on the end and the top will try plunking but mostly they get frown at from the guys bobbering it. You will get in front of more fish if your bait is moving anyway..I would say stick with Bobber and eggs (shrimp too, if you can get them :wink: )

Crayfin

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
it is a bobber show, although there seems to be atleast one guy every year that thinks it is a good idea to plunk in the middle of 50 bobbers
you can cast spinners above or below with no problem. bring warm clothes and rain gear :sick: also, make sure your bobber is not set too deep...oversize sturgeon like to lay right off the bank and eat eggs and shrimp

·
Registered
532 Posts
what lb test? im assuming these are coho?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I generally use 15 lb. But when it's crowded like it probably is, I like to put a heavier line on so I can just horse them in and everyone can get back to fishing. If you're going to use lighter line, be willing to move away from the crowd once you get the fish on. Most people get pretty [email protected]#%%d off when it takes a person more than 10 min to get the fish on the bank in the middle of the hole, so they'll just start casting across you. Now, this isn't always the case, but there's always one guy that gets mouthy about it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
But don't try to be there at 5:00 in the morning, the gate to the dam doesn't open until 7:00. Don't ask me how I know this. :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts