IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a 16 page Black Friday sale flyer from Sportco this morning. Unfortunately there is a glitch in the link and you can only see the first page.

However, on the first page there was a Tanacom 750 including Daiwa J-Braid for $479.99

Just a heads up in case someone is looking for one.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I am looking to get a couple of these, but I couldn't find the ad online, so I called and talked to the fishing counter.

The guy told me that this sale was limited to stock on hand, and that you have to come in to pick them in store. It's a bit of a drive from Salem to Fife!

So, if anyone knows of any other good deals on this reel, please PM me. Or if anyone is making a drive up there and wouldn't mind picking me up a couple, I would compensate you plus contribute for mileage.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Englunds usually has a similar sale in the spring. I picked up a Tanacom 750 full of 80lb braid on a cheap rod for $499 last year from Englunds. Maybe it was $549?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Englunds is on back order. Sportco’s are in person pick up only Friday through Sunday. I asked if I could drive up and pick up a couple tomorrow and they said, “No can do.”

·
King Lingcod
49,537 Posts
Are the 500s any good. I am thinking about a set of these for the boat

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Are the 500s any good. I am thinking about a set of these for the boat

Those 500s don't look bad at all. Look like they hold plenty of line and I like the gear ratio better for hand cranking a fish in.(if you choose to do so) seems Iike plenty of drag as well.

·
Premium Member
17,554 Posts
750s are a big reels. 1000s are huge. Seems like a 500 would be a good size for a lot of our coast line. I ended up with a 750 and like it but it is the biggest, heaviest reel that I own. Works great. English menu. If I buy another electric reel I'd be tempted to buy a 500. Daiwa.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Englunds is on back order. Sportco’s are in person pick up only Friday through Sunday. I asked if I could drive up and pick up a couple tomorrow and they said, “No can do.”
Last time Sportco had them on special sale they imposed a two reel limit and those they had were still gone in about two hours.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
750s are a big reels. 1000s are huge. Seems like a 500 would be a good size for a lot of our coast line. I ended up with a 750 and like it but it is the biggest, heaviest reel that I own. Works great. English menu. If I buy another electric reel I'd be tempted to buy a 500. Daiwa.
500s big enough for the Ranch?

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
I believe the 500 and 750 have the same motor.

My issue with the 500 would be one break off in the deep water and your toast.

I have a few versions of custom made rod holders that support the 750 so it doesn’t twist when powering up.

Another option I use is a fighting belt with a gimbal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I believe the 500 and 750 have the same motor.

My issue with the 500 would be one break off in the deep water and your toast.

I have a few versions of custom made rod holders that support the 750 so it doesn’️t twist when powering up.

Another option I use is a fighting belt with a gimbal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good call on line capacity. That is exactly why I would not go for the 500.

Since plopping my 750 on a spiral wrapped rod, I don’t notice the reel width being a hindrance anymore. A gimbal belt is a good idea and cheap!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I'm not sure the 500 has the same motor as the 750. reading the specs, the "momentary winding power" is different. Couldn't find any specs on the actual motors themselves.

Specs & Features

Daiwa Tanacom 500 Power Assist Reel
  • Rugged water resistant LCD display
  • Reads out in English for easier programming
  • Momentary winding power of 57 lb.
  • Smaller size compatible with stand-up fishing
  • Ridged aluminum frame
  • Variable Speed Control
Daiwa Tanacom 750 Power Assist Reel

• Same Power as TB750
  • Momentary Winding Power of 141.1 lb.
  • Max Winding Power of 19.8 lb.
  • English Version LCD
  • Watertight Electronic Components
  • Automatic Stop and Jigging features
  • Line Counter and Depth Memory
  • Washable design
  • Includes power cord and reel clamp

·
Premium Member
17,554 Posts
500s big enough for the Ranch?
Don't know the Ranch, not my port. I opted for the 750 in case Halibut Hill out of Garibaldi ever draws fish again. With a little blow back you can easily have 800' of line out. Specs from the Daiwa site: the 750 gives you 770 yards vs 440 yards of 50 lb braid. I use 65 lb but many folks prefer 80 lb for their deep drop reels so considerably less total line capacity as heavier line is used. The Pew stated one of the reasons I went for 750. If you should break off at depth there will likely be enough line to continue fishing with the 750. Iffy with the 500.

·
Registered
279 Posts
We have 1 750 and 3 1000s
I would never buy a 1000 again
Way to big and wobbly
:twocents:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I just reached out to Diawa on the line capacity of the 500 and it was noted that it will hold approximately 275 yards of 80lb. Braid.

·
King Lingcod
49,537 Posts
Thanks for all the great information. Looks like some 750s are going to be in my boats future.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Dave: The electrics on my boat are the 750's. I think you used them with me once or twice.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I just reached out to Diawa on the line capacity of the 500 and it was noted that it will hold approximately 275 yards of 80lb. Braid.
You could see the spool out on Halibut Hill.
That would be the Scarry part seeing the spindle!
I remember very well reeling up from out there. I think my arms still hurt thinking about it. But we sure caught a lot of fish in the day. Really would be interesting to see why it died like it did?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts