IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where we should go. We have been plunking the CR and doing pretty well but last weekend it died for us. With the nets in I think the only fish will be in the main channel which we cant reach from the bank.
So I got some first cast jigs that I purchased a while ago. I am new to drift fishing. I know how to rig up but dont know where to go. I was thinking of driving down to Astoria and trying the Klaskinine "Rouges". But I have know idea where I am going. I know right be for you cross Youngs Bay bridge you take a left up that valley. That is it. I am not sure if there is any fish there still.
I would like to stay away from the snaggers. My son is 9 and I really dont want to expose him to that type of fishing. I would like him to catch a few fish in a drift before even see's people doing that, that way I can explain to him better that is not the way to catch fish and it is illegal.
I also have eggs, corkies and yarn if need be. If you dont think that River is good right now can someone suggest a river with some simple directions.
I really dont want to go to a crowded hole being I am new to drift fishing.
Emails or private messages are fine.

If anyone can suggest anywhere with in driving distance at least I will be pointed in the right direction. :smile:
Stealhead_Scout

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
River flows are so low in most rivers right now I think drift fishing is going to be tough. Better to wait until after some fall rains. If you are looking for silvers you might visit GI Joes and learn how to set up for bobber fishing and buy some good eggs. Bobber fishing would be easier for your 9 year old too. Just avoid places near hatcheries where snaggers hang out. Most anywhere that holds fish will be busy on the weekends, but if you are in Scappoose I would think you'd have some options on the other side of the river too. Me, if my son was 9 years old and with a beautiful weekend coming up, I'd find a nice lake in the Cascades and do some trout fishing. Fix up a plunking/slider rig with some floating bait, sit in a lawn chair, and let my son skip rocks. Have fun, and keep fishing fun for your son.
:smile:
CT

1 - 2 of 2 Posts