IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With father's day coming, I thought I'd share this story I wrote for an upcoming book. Who knows if it will ever be published, but the important thing was it felt good writing it. I hope it inspires all of you to get your dad, (or mom) out there and enjoy a day on the water, or take your child. Three generations of boys catching fish, I'm game! I also hope you don't just do it on this one day of the year. One day we'll all look back and wish we had more time with them. It just happens that way. Fishing with those we love is what it's all about, strengthening the bonds of family and friendship.

Here's the story, sorry if it's long.

I'm sitting on the couch watching television right now. As I glance to my right, my attention is drawn to a picture frame on the bookshelf next to me, a wonderfully stirring picture of dad and I. It's of just the two of us, with my arm around him. Warm peaceful smiles, and the soft glow of an Alaskan sunset cast across our faces. This photo was taken 8 years ago, on a halibut charter out of Homer, Alaska. A reminder of a found memory I’ve carried with me ever since.
I grew up fishing, as my dad did. As a child, my family would take camping trips and fishing was always part of it. A lifelong indelible passion for the sport was born in those years. As I became a young man, the trips with my dad became less frequent. He seemed to be replaced with fishing buddies, or I just fished alone. I love me dad dearly, and I know his absence due to working to provide a good life for us was with the very best of intentions. I also regretfully admit, fishing with a friend seemed more “hip” too, in those days as a teenager. About 10 years ago my father suffered a heart attack and we almost lost him. What a painful reminder of life's fragility. It also was a wake up call that the enjoyment I shared fishing with my father needed to be rekindled. I decided to plan a fishing excursion to Alaska and was so elated to learn that my dad could join myself, and some of my closest fishing pals. While there, he landed one of the biggest rainbow trout, as we all cheered him on. He shared his brand of humor, wit and wisdom, like only he can. All of the guys found him to be a huge part of the charm that made the trip what it was, something very special for all of us. One day while there, we hiked down to a river much too strenuous for him. I was scared to death when I realized my dad was once again having chest pains. We were in a remote place, far from any hospital, so medical help was a long way off. In a frightening instance I was reminded of his close call from two years earlier. I cursed myself for being so selfish and distracted that I did not think of his health first. Fortunately the pain subsided and we released many wonderful fish that day.
On the last day of our fantastic trip, I suggested that our group do some halibut fishing. Something I had always wanted to do. Ironically, it was going to be just dad and me out there that day. Just like it was scripted, dad caught the largest halibut. I managed to land the smallest one, oddly. We joked about it as we headed back in. The sun was setting and the day drawing to a close. I reflected back on how blessed I was to be in this beautiful place with him, and to just still have him with me. That he could to be part of a fishing trip that we all dream of, made it all the more perfect. The ocean was as calm as glass that September day, a rarity for that time of year. The warm bronze glow of the suns rays blanketing the waters as far as my eyes could see. The moment seemed elegantly poetic, flowing along, unhindered by time.
Another passenger snaps a picture of a man and his happily content son. Capturing the glory and meaning of why a father and son fish together.

[ 06-02-2003, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
814 Posts
Greenbuttskunk,
Have you been following me or something? This is a page right out of my personal story book as well. I unfortunately did lose my father a couple of years ago, but not before we went up to Homer one last time. He had been sick with cancer for a couple of years at that time and we knew it would probably be the last time. Those are memories I will never forget. So I guess, in a way I do take my Dad fishing with me everytime I go. It was him that made me the man and the sick-o I am today. With him gone, there's a lot more fish available. That's for certain. He was a killer I tell ya.
Yes Father's Day has been kinda rough without him, but I know he's there with me whereever I go. Great topic GBS.
Maybe someday some youngster will want to take me fishing. Hey any of you Old Farts care to go out with me?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
My dad wasn't the best of fathers. Long long story I won't boore you with since I'm not looking for sympathy. I will say this. I have not spoke to him for 3 years now.

When my wife was pregnant with our daughter I started a family tradition. Every fathers day we go fishing and try something we haven't done before.
We've been fishing off the docks in saltwater, we've been sturgeon fishing, missed a couple years due to injuries but the years we did make were a blast that we all look forward to.

So if you can't go fishing with your dad or refuse to, you can break the chain and learn from what he did wrong and start your own traditions.

In-laws had a hard time with it. We had to sit down and tell them "Listen, we are our own family now, it's time for our own traditions. We'll come over the day before, but Fathers day is OUR day"

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ragner,
Sorry you lost you dad to cancer. My father in law is suffering from it too, wish I could take him out. Unfortunately he lives in Maine.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Great story GBS

It brought a tear to my eye. I lost my Dad 12 years ago but I am still fishing out of the used 15' Valco/50 hp Sled that we bought together over 17 years ago. I have often thought about getting a "newer, bigger, better" boat but since this one just keeps running and putting fish on the table (last one was a 14# steely on Fri) and has all the good memories, I have just hung onto it.

My oldest boy has caught his 1st steelhead and Spring Chinook out of "lil' Val" and hopefully his younger brother will keep his Granddad's legecy going too!!

One of the great stories was a nice sunny afternoon on the Clack above the 205 bridge Dad & I were fishing for Steelhead with 8# leader. We had caught several and were having "one of those days" when low and behold a nice 22# Chinook decided to take dads bait and head downriver. Backtrolling thru the rapids and past the bridge piers, after a good 30 min battle I slipped the net under that bad boy. Dad said he was pooped and ready to go. I told him to just sit back and rest then cuz this fishing was just too good. (after a short rest he did happen to hook a few more fish :grin: )

Spend time with your parents cuz they won't be around forever but the good memories will be!!! and make sure to spend time with the kids also so they have the same advantage!!

If you see a big guy in a little sled on the Clack or Willy say hi.

Here's to a Happy Fathers Day to all. :cheers:

tite lines
<))))))><
Bob

[ 06-02-2003, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: bob'r down ]

·
Registered
627 Posts
I fish with my Dad as much as I can, and he sometimes out fishes me but not always.... :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotta bring this back up, I think because this will be my first fathers day and I'm getting all mushy and sentimental
:smile: .Hope this inspires you guys to take dad out this weekend. He deserves it!
Post a pic of you and pops with a fish too.
GBS

[ 06-12-2003, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
104 Posts
I take my dad fishing on every trip! I lost him seven years ago, but I know he is there on every trip.
We did'nt have the closest relationship but the more I reflect the more I realize what a great father (man) he was. He didn't take me fishing as much as I liked (I guess seven days a week was asking too much :grin: ). Every home baseball game during High School I could spot him somewhere down the foul line, standing by himself enjoying the game. While coaching third at my son's game tonite I looked around and didn't see him but I knew he was there...enjoying the game.

I think one of the best things you can do for your kids is make memories for them.

Thanks Dad,....Happy Fathers Day!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Sinker, you said everything I was going to say. I had a horrible father and we havent spoken for the last 3 yrs. Fathers day is all about spending time with my boys now. We'll be on the river come sun up on Sunday!

[ 06-13-2003, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: TundraIII ]

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
byteme you summed it up pretty well for me. I'd love to take my Dad fishing - we were just really starting to have a decent relationship when he died of lung cancer at the age of 63 - that was 6 years ago. I know he'd love my new boat - and the grandkids. While I know he's with us on every trip, it's not the same for the kids that miss his laugh and quite frankly - I've never met anyone that knew more about fishing than he did. The quote at the botom of my message was used as his eulogy. I miss him every day. I'll be fishing with my kids (and wife) on Sunday. Have a good day y'all! :cheers: zip

·
Administrator
41,360 Posts
Alas, I won't have any more fishing trips with my dad. :depressed: But I sure have some great memories of northern Quebec and of Chesapeake Bay and of New Zealand fishing with him. I'm glad we got to share those times together, it's when we both were most relaxed and truly got to know each other as friends. Here's to you, Dad.

This year, my daughter is a little young to take me fishing. She's just 3. But we'll be at the Rhodes Pond fin clipping on Saturday. Maybe the chinook we clip will be her first chinook tagged when it comes back from the sea!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
My wonderful son and daughter invited me to take them fishing on Sunday! Can't wait to watch them catch fish. I fish a lot, very seldom do they join me, son is 22 and into his own thing, my daughter is 13 and enjoys spending time with her friends. I am very happy they choose to spend a day with me doing what I love.
Thanks Adam and Amanda!

Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts