IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several local BSA Girl and Boy Scout leaders are trying to figure out where to have fishing events. All of us are fishers, and we are drawing a blank. Mostly because:

-We need safe bank access
-Kids have little patience, the bite needs to be fairly quick as in no more than a half hour between bites.
-Small warm water fish would be fine -- the kids are there for the tug, not food

Nearly everywhere these conditions exist, (any of them, not even all three) is over fished. We need to try to stay within about an hours drive of Portland.

If anyone has ideas they would care to offer to help figure out a solution, please PM me for further discussion. I do not wish to discuss on here because such information would likely lead to any spots becoming over fished.

Thank you
StreamFixer -- Asst. Scoutmaster T-452

· Registered
24 Posts
I know one group meets/used to meet at Blue Lake Park in the summer time to get kids going on panfish. It has a safe bank and there's a few fish around - you can even watch them in the shallows - they'll leave the cover of weeds to start pecking at the worm. I don't think the 4" bluegills that the lake grows will cause the spot to ever be overfished. I'm not sure if ODFW still stocks it with trout even. The fishing dock was closed last year due to safety concerns but there was enough bank access otherwise.

St Louis ponds might be an option? That probably falls in your "overfished" category though.

· Registered
3,121 Posts
I lived on this lake as a kiddo. Ahh, the memory's of tackle football when the lake was frozen.

No need to hide the fact its perfect for your needs.
Check the stocking schedule and prepare around that week or 2 after.
See post #2

Commonwealth Lake Park | Parks & Trails | THPRD

Nestled in the Cedar Hills neighborhood, between Walker Rd. and Hwy 26, 20-acre Commonwealth Lake Park surrounds man-made Commonwealth Lake. Johnson Creek runs along the north border of the park, while a playground and soccer field are featured on the park's west side.

Walkers and bikers enjoy the paved, flat trail - about .8 miles around - that surrounds the lake. Benches and picnic benches are available at the park, which is a favorite spot for bird watchers and photographers seeking out Great Blue Herons, Cedar Waxwings, and Green Herons, as well as a variety of waterfowl.

This park is also a popular destination for anglers. The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife stocks the lake with trout; it is one of three THPRD sites where fishing is welcome with a valid Oregon fishing license.

On its east end, Commonwealth Lake Park connects to Foothills Park across SW Huntington Ave.

· Registered
5,647 Posts
St. Louis ponds in Gervis. Catch a ton of 4-6" blue gill in an afternoon. There is one or two ponds stocked with rainbows in the spring before the water gets to warm and weedy. I've caught trout, bass, blue gill, and crappie in the ponds. There are also cat fish, but just never connected with one.

· Registered
3,440 Posts
Expand your search to two hours and things will open up for you. Clear, Timothy and Trilium Lakes on Mt Hood for trout, Cottage Grove and Dorena fir trout and warm water fish, many lakes on the coast with good bank access.

· Registered
5,671 Posts
Camp Adair has several stocked ponds. Just north of Corvallis. It’s an ODFW run facility.

· Registered
2,632 Posts
My kid did cub scouts. Hagg Lake has a youth fishing day every year. Our den attended the event pre-covid. People volunteer their boats to take groups of kids out. My son won a tacklebox. That would be your best bet.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts