IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Re: Taco Salmon - Try it, you\'ll like it!

MMMmmmMMM

A few years back my wife and I were in the San Juans. While in Friday Harbor, we went to the DownRiggers restaurant for lunch. They had a fish taco special that day and I decided to give it a try. When the meal came, it had 2 tacos loaded with all fresh goodies and topped with a huge piece of salmon fillet that appeared to be blackened. The tacos and salmon were awesome and I even had to share with my wife. After the meal we asked the waitress how they prepared the salmon. She said their blackened salmon was her favorite salmon, and she would have the cooks make it for her all the time. And she gave us the recipe!

It is super simple to make, and it is so good that we have not cooked salmon any other way since learning about Taco Salmon. I now take all my salmon and cut steaks only and prepare the steaks as Taco Salmon. We have never eaten it on tacos again, only as blackened salmon as a main dish.

Here is all there is to it. Get an envelope of ground beef taco seasoning (Shilling, Lawry, etc.). We buy the large container at Costco since we use so much of it. Completely coat the salmon with the seasoning either by sprinkling it on till completely coated, or speading the seasoning on a plate and pressing both sides of the meat into the seasoning. Don't worry about overdoing the seasoning, as much as will stick to the meat is the correct amount. It will be spicy and flavorful, but not hot like cajun, so the more the better for me. Fry in olive oil over medium heat. The details about how to keep from overcooking fish are up to you, I just know how it looks and feels when it is perfectly cooked and moist but not dried out.

You can put it on the BBQ as well, but use a foil boat with some oil. I tried it on the BBQ straight on the grill and it doesn't work out. There is something magic about the oil moistening the seasoning, speading it into the salmon, and crusting over as it gets done.

I know it might sound weird, and I have gotten some funny looks from friends that I have given the Taco Salmon secret, but everyone needs to try it once. Like I said, I have not had salmon any other way in the last 3 years (although I may be getting close to adding a little variety in the future).

All credit for this wonderful tasting and easy recipe goes to DownRiggers in Friday Harbor. Drop by and see them if you get a chance.

· Registered
2,454 Posts
Well I got to say this !!! That is was good eats :applause:

When My wife likes it. And she says she likes it. it's got to be great..
There was nothing left on the platter after dinner. :)

· Registered
3,830 Posts
Taco Salmon is good!
My wife made a slaw with coleslaw mix (minus the dressing), cilantro, tiny bit of veg oil, & lime juice. I added some fresh from the garden heirloom tomato...yeah, it was good.

· Registered
926 Posts
We just tried Salmon tacos just two nights ago and agreed it's one of our favorite ways to eat salmon!

Often times we bake salmon, but sometimes on bigger filets the thick portions lack flavor. From now on we just eat the belly/cavity portion of the fish after baking, and then use the rest for salmon tacos. All we did was flake the thick portions into a pan with some olive oil, sprinked some of the taco bell fajita seasoning (our favorite) with a little water, and then all the normal stuff you put in tacos.

We like heating up the shells in another pan before serving...delicious.

We will have to try you recipe too. Thanks for sharing.:applause:

· Registered
4,005 Posts
Blackened salmon!
One of the favorite style of cooking salmon for me. Great on tacos,Taco salad, ceaser salad,pasta, main entree with wild rice and blanched or grilled asparagus or artichoke hearts...

The best way to cook salmon. First being raw, but only springer. Then blackened then smoked.

Jennie,
You just gave me an idea, I have never heard of halibaco before. Might have to try it next weekend

· Registered
267 Posts
Tried it over a year ago. Now my favorite way to eat fish.

· Registered
325 Posts
Made this last night with a fall fish that I pulled out of the freezer. Cut into strips and rolled on bulk taco seasoning from Winco. Kerrygold and coconut oil into a cast iron pan and cooked until done all the way through. Excellent! It's already on the menu for next week when the in-laws come for a visit.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.