IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taco Salmon - Try it, you\'ll like it!

A few years back my wife and I were in the San Juans. While in Friday Harbor, we went to the DownRiggers restaurant for lunch. They had a fish taco special that day and I decided to give it a try. When the meal came, it had 2 tacos loaded with all fresh goodies and topped with a huge piece of salmon fillet that appeared to be blackened. The tacos and salmon were awesome and I even had to share with my wife. After the meal we asked the waitress how they prepared the salmon. She said their blackened salmon was her favorite salmon, and she would have the cooks make it for her all the time. And she gave us the recipe!

It is super simple to make, and it is so good that we have not cooked salmon any other way since learning about Taco Salmon. I now take all my salmon and cut steaks only and prepare the steaks as Taco Salmon. We have never eaten it on tacos again, only as blackened salmon as a main dish.

Here is all there is to it. Get an envelope of ground beef taco seasoning (Shilling, Lawry, etc.). We buy the large container at Costco since we use so much of it. Completely coat the salmon with the seasoning either by sprinkling it on till completely coated, or speading the seasoning on a plate and pressing both sides of the meat into the seasoning. Don't worry about overdoing the seasoning, as much as will stick to the meat is the correct amount. It will be spicy and flavorful, but not hot like cajun, so the more the better for me. Fry in olive oil over medium heat. The details about how to keep from overcooking fish are up to you, I just know how it looks and feels when it is perfectly cooked and moist but not dried out.

You can put it on the BBQ as well, but use a foil boat with some oil. I tried it on the BBQ straight on the grill and it doesn't work out. There is something magic about the oil moistening the seasoning, speading it into the salmon, and crusting over as it gets done.

I know it might sound weird, and I have gotten some funny looks from friends that I have given the Taco Salmon secret, but everyone needs to try it once. Like I said, I have not had salmon any other way in the last 3 years (although I may be getting close to adding a little variety in the future).

All credit for this wonderful tasting and easy recipe goes to DownRiggers in Friday Harbor. Drop by and see them if you get a chance.

· Registered
7,824 Posts
Re: Taco Salmon - Try it, you\'ll like it!

Sounds yummy and what a coincidence! I'm making tuna tacos tonight... er... uh... that didn't sound right... :shocked: how about albacore tacos? I've never done it before and don't have a recipe... but have a great idea for an experiment. If it turns out tasty, I'll post it later.

· Registered
47 Posts

Here is the way to prepare blackened fish as I learned it when I used to live in the Fl. Keys some years ago. It is tasty as hell on most fish I have tried, from Grouper to halibut. This recipe is not nearly so healthy as Orca's due to the amount of butter, but what the heck. You need to get a bottle of Paul Prudhome's Blackened Redfish Magic which I have found locally at both Freddies and Safeway. Melt some butter in a pan, coat the fish in it, then coat the buttered fish in the Paul Prudehomes. Then melt a little more butter in the pan andf throw the fish back in it for a few minutes per side, or until it blackens. Presto. This cooking method tends to create quite a bit of smoke so you might want to do it outdoors on a coleman or on your gas grill.
The Paul Prudhome's comes in a granular form in a glass bottle with a picture of a fat Dom Delouise lookin' guy on it. Give it a shot if you're bored with your other fish cooking methods, I think you'll like it. I myself will be trying out Orca's recipe tonight on some fresh tuna. Cant wait, gotta go grub.

· Registered
7,824 Posts

Well, we just tried the tuna tacos. It was awesome (Pilar says 'WOW')

1/2 onion, chopped
olive oil
juice from 1/2 lime
2 tsp cilantro finely chopped
1-1/2 lb fresh albacore, raw, diced
1 envelope McCormick Chicken Taco seasoning.

saute the onion in a very small amount of olive oil until soft. (using too much oil will produce really oily tacos) Add lime juice and cilantro. Saute one minute med-high. Add Charlie, er, tuna to the pan. Sprinkle on the taco seasoning while stir-frying. Continue to cook until no pink is left. Serve as you would any taco.

· Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
15,153 Posts

Holy moly!

Add home made Guacamole, homemade fresh salsa and some cheese and you're the man!

· Administrator
129,616 Posts

Just thought I'd sticky this, this week for all of you halibutters out there.
I'm cooking halibacos, tonight!

Jen

· Registered
1,000 Posts
I just made these blackened salmon taco's with some red cabbage and made a white pablano-cilantro sauce to go with. Holy Catfish!!!! They were knocked out of the park at work! I have to admit they came out way better than I thought. Thanks

· Registered
997 Posts
Got to try this one. I bought $150 worth of Coho last summer and was VERY dissapointed when I found out the flavor was "off" Still not sure what it is, but it tasted a touch fishy and slighty bitter. I get frustrated every time I open the freezer and see what's left. I can't toss it, yet I can't seem to easily mask the flavor.

Never again.

Thanks for the idea!

· Registered
401 Posts
We tried this recipe on sunday. Boy was it good. A great new way to cook salmon. thanks so much for sharing it.. its fantastic.

I made a sauce to go along with the taco salmon, 2 parts mayo, 1 part sour cream, and 3 tablespoons old bay, mixed together. For a little more spice.

codyor448

· Registered
750 Posts

Thanks for sharing...My wife and I just finished making tacos...It was excellent! We were at Downriggers this summer...Wished I were there this week! Thanks again .. Dan

A few years back my wife and I were in the San Juans. While in Friday Harbor, we went to the DownRiggers restaurant for lunch. They had a fish taco special that day and I decided to give it a try. When the meal came, it had 2 tacos loaded with all fresh goodies and topped with a huge piece of salmon fillet that appeared to be blackened. The tacos and salmon were awesome and I even had to share with my wife. After the meal we asked the waitress how they prepared the salmon. She said their blackened salmon was her favorite salmon, and she would have the cooks make it for her all the time. And she gave us the recipe!

It is super simple to make, and it is so good that we have not cooked salmon any other way since learning about Taco Salmon. I now take all my salmon and cut steaks only and prepare the steaks as Taco Salmon. We have never eaten it on tacos again, only as blackened salmon as a main dish.

Here is all there is to it. Get an envelope of ground beef taco seasoning (Shilling, Lawry, etc.). We buy the large container at Costco since we use so much of it. Completely coat the salmon with the seasoning either by sprinkling it on till completely coated, or speading the seasoning on a plate and pressing both sides of the meat into the seasoning. Don't worry about overdoing the seasoning, as much as will stick to the meat is the correct amount. It will be spicy and flavorful, but not hot like cajun, so the more the better for me. Fry in olive oil over medium heat. The details about how to keep from overcooking fish are up to you, I just know how it looks and feels when it is perfectly cooked and moist but not dried out.

You can put it on the BBQ as well, but use a foil boat with some oil. I tried it on the BBQ straight on the grill and it doesn't work out. There is something magic about the oil moistening the seasoning, speading it into the salmon, and crusting over as it gets done.

I know it might sound weird, and I have gotten some funny looks from friends that I have given the Taco Salmon secret, but everyone needs to try it once. Like I said, I have not had salmon any other way in the last 3 years (although I may be getting close to adding a little variety in the future).

All credit for this wonderful tasting and easy recipe goes to DownRiggers in Friday Harbor. Drop by and see them if you get a chance.

· Registered
40 Posts
Tried it on some Cowlitz silver that i had in the freezer, super simple and super tasty. My wife even liked it! I like to skin it and make the pieces I'm cooking a little smaller, that way they are easier to flip and you get more seasoning on all the pieces. It turned out super moist and very flavorful through every bite.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.