IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to recall that fishing tackle manufacturers have to pay a special tax for recreational fishing enhancement or something like that... Does this special tax still exist? If so, is it a state or federal requirement?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Since I'm single (no tax credit), and making less than 6 figures (no tax credit), and have no children (no tax credit), and am not poor (no tax credit), and have no stocks (no tax credit), should I be surprised that tackle manufacturers have to pay a tax, that's passed directly to me?

I'm sure it's the least of my worries..... :sick:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scott- Do you (as the one making the direct payment of the tax) or we fisherpeople (as the indirect payers of the tax) have any say in where it goes? It seems like the perfect item to make sure is being spent wisely -- both to benefit the market for tackle manufacturers, as well as to make sure it makes sense for the consumer tackle buyers. Thanks, Mack

·
Registered
993 Posts
they say it goes into the fisheries but it most likely pay for someones car to drive from washington to salem we have no say everytime they close a season i feel like i shoulden't have to pay and being a small co. i can't pass it on to the consumer i eat it and it dose not taste good

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
There is a federal tax on fishing tackle as well as other outdoor equipment such as camping supplies, backpacks, etc..

The funds are supposed to go back to the resource. I know there is some of this money channeled through the state in the form of restoration grants.

[ 06-13-2003, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Dingle-Johnson act, created in 1950 is a 10% excise tax on fishing tackle and equipment

Pittman-Roberts act, created in 1937 is a 10% excise tax on hunting equipment

1 - 8 of 8 Posts