IFish.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone care to share their experiences with T Mobile for cell phone serice? Down here in Corvallis it looks like them and Verizon are the only ones with decent coverage. ATT sucks and Sprint sucks even worse. T Mobile doesnt have as good coverage as Verizon, but from I understand they only have 1 year contracts as opposed to 2 years for Verizon. Also they are a tad cheaper with their plans.........im looking to get a phone for me and one for the wife BTW and almost all my calling is to family in I5 corridor area.
thanks
Russ :grin:

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Russ-
last time I checked T-Mobile didn't cover anything west of about 53rd st and was really shakey for low lying areas even within their "zone". Check around I only take 1 year contracts and was able to do so from on of the Verizon dealers in the Heritage Mall. Good luck, If you get any better info on T-Mobile let me know. If you are looking at getting new phones as well look at Samsung. I have had my A-310 for over a year and haven't had any problems or complaints. I have had Ericson, Nokia, Audiovox, and Motorola and had them all wear out in about a year.

Just my experiences...Individual results may vary! :laugh:

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I have T-Mobile up here in Portland for myself, wife, and daughters. It works very well and I am pleased with their service.TB

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have T-Mobile in Vancouver with 1000 any time minutes for 39.95 with weekends and nights and I love it. :cheers: :dance: :cheers:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I use T Mobile here i Battle Ground and overall I'm pleased with it my cousin and I have a family plan that includes 800 shared minutes, free weekends and nights, free mobile to mobile, unlimited texting. all for 40 bucks a month between the both of us

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I had t-mobile and did not like it. I have ATT now and it is a little better. My phone worked great at the Minneapolis airport and all over the Manhattan area, up the Hudson, and in Newark.

Getting the best cell phone coverage can be tricky. There are dead spots all over the place and places where some work and others don't. Nextel or QWest have the best coverage in my experience. I am going to switch back to Qwest even though thier plans cost a little more.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Russ:
Don't know why you believe AT&T "sucks" in the Corvallis area. I have had Cellular One(now AT&T) since 1994, and have been very pleased with the coverage and reception. My favorite instance occured while in New York/New Jersey. My boss was driving and I was in the back seat. He could not place a call with his Verizon cell phone. Just for fun, I called his cell from my mobile. He was able to receive the call, and when he answered, I said "Can you hear me now?". He gave me half the Verizon sign. :hoboy:

·
Administrator
41,347 Posts
I live in downtown Portland. I had Qwest, but couldn't get any signal at all at my home. Nice feature! I shopped a lot, especially with real estate brokers who cover a lot of ground. Their service of choice is Verizon. I went with Verizon and I couldn't be happier. From the Rock Pile off Newport to Montauk Long Island I have excellent coverage. I've never exceeded my minutes, never had a roaming charge (Qwest dinged me for $284 one month that I never left the Oregon!) and there's a local store for service when I need it. Sure, there are dead spots, like on 6 in the coast range, but I have even had service in the Deschutes Canyon where I forgot to turn off my phone. I've cancelled my long distance land line service and reduced my local land line to a minimum. Can you hear me now? :cool:

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I live in downtown Portland. I had Qwest, but couldn't get any signal at all at my home. Nice feature! I shopped a lot, especially with real estate brokers who cover a lot of ground. Their service of choice is Verizon. I went with Verizon and I couldn't be happier. From the Rock Pile off Newport to Montauk Long Island I have excellent coverage. I've never exceeded my minutes, never had a roaming charge (Qwest dinged me for $284 one month that I never left the Oregon!) and there's a local store for service when I need it. Sure, there are dead spots, like on 6 in the coast range, but I have even had service in the Deschutes Canyon where I forgot to turn off my phone. I've cancelled my long distance land line service and reduced my local land line to a minimum. Can you hear me now? :cool:
I live downtown as well but never had a problem getting reception. You have changed my mind about Qwest because I remember those roaming charges. Nextel for me if I bother to change.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know why you believe AT&T "sucks" in the Corvallis area.
Well I cannot get reception in many parts of Corvallis over to Albany.......most times I cant call my wife from home, which is only about 5 miles away.........thats what I call 'sucks' :smile:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Russ:
I agree, that "sucks". Might be the difference between analog and digital? I do have some calls dropped when traveling in the hills on the north edge of Philomath, and typically in the I-5 area just south of Salem (hills again). I have been able to place calls with my analog phone when friends and family have not been able to get enough signal on their digital models to make a call in various locations, in and out of state.

·
Registered
588 Posts
So who has analog service anymore on portable phones.

I have both Verizon (wife's) and Att...in Vancouver/Portland. Although I cannot comment on the Corvallis coverage all in all my Verizon phone service is MUCH MUCH more reliable than my att...using the exact same kind of phone and antenna. I cannot even make an ATT cell phone call from my own home. I have spent hours driving all over our area with both phones on and the commercials about Verizon going around checking for signals must be at least partially true. The difference is more than an accident...and frankly the att customer service is as lacking as any company's I have ever dealt with in any business. I will be changing my other phone to Verizon soon, now that I can keep my phone number.

Att could match the Verizon coverage but they have for some reason decided not to bother...my only conclusion is that if you are the biggest you tend to rest an your haunches. There so called ATT customer service centers are places to be avoided if you value service or company reps who know their products.

Verizon has my vote of confidence unless they cannot provide good coverage in your area.

M.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,157 Posts
I have AT&T on my work phone and Verizon on my personal. I end up having to use my personal for work because of all the places I can't get the AT&T phone to work. I travel 101 and 84 mostly. Our Verizon phones are so reliable that we dropped our land line over a year ago and haven't missed it yet. :wink:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I had Verison and changed to T-Mobile I like T-Mobiles coustmer service its a great improvment over verison but Verisons service area was better What ya gona do, :shrug:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have analog service! Why? For the past ten years I have been employed in the manufacture of wireless communication subsystems. We sold equipment to all the major OEM's. Digital service infrastructure still has not caught up with Analog infrastructure. I have very few problems with service, and as I previously indicated, can typically get a serviceable signal where others cannot. Then again, I don't yak CONSTANTLY on my cell. :grin:

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the imput guys,
Im thinking im going to go with Verizon because of their better coverage and they have free nighttime minutes, while T Mobile is only weekend free from what I understand.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
T-mobile does have free nights. Just signed up with them. But I would like to have digital/analog rather than just plain digital. You have a much better chance of picking up a signal in the boonies. I stood on top of my truck at the top of a mountain and held my head just right and I got an analog signal where I no prayer of a digital.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts