IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday headed out of Garibaldi at 8:00am. Motored over to Crab Harbor area to drop our traps. We get there and notice a 14-15' Valco (WN 3573 MB) with a small Merc. NO fishing gear to be seen. On board are 2 men and 1 woman (she is wearing a red coat)

As we are prepping and dropping our traps we notice the 2 men are splashing around in a small tide pool, where we see the splash of a salmon. The 2 "sportsmen" return to there boat and get the oars and head back to the tide pool. From our boat we can see the oars being used as clubs. A minute or so later the poacher scum are seen walking back to there boat with a bright chinook (estimated in the 30lb range) in tow.

Needless to say I was disgusted. We returnd to the dock did not find and ODFW checkers there yet so I contacted OSP to report this crime.

I am still very angry about this complete lack of ethics and criminal behavior. What kind of pathetic scum clubs a trapped salmon. I hope that OSP located and fined these poachers heavily.

I don't want to moralize here, just wanted to share what we saw and hope the ifishers will keep vigilance on our waters. Snagging has gotten a lot of attention lately (and rightly so) but there are many forms of criminals and OSP and ODFW can't be everywhere, so please keep your eyes open AND REPORT ILLEGAL BEHAVIOR.

Finally, does anyone know if you can contact OSP or ODFW via VHF? Would the coast guard assist in a situation like this? (relay vhf to OSP etc...)
I was really torn about cutting into our fishing time to report these criminals but felt this was more important.

EK

ps - fishing was kinda slow. we had one native coho released at the boat, and 1 19lb chinook, plus enough crabs to make a meal or two. Good company and nice weather to boot!

did see a 50+ lb at Garibaldi, plus I heard that some lucky person landed a 56lb!

[ 10-07-2003, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: El-Kabong ]

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
The OSP/Sherrif boats normally monitor VHF 16 and CB Channel 9. The CG can (and will) also contact the appropriate agency for enforcement of things out of their direct jurisdiction (game law violations for one). :cheers:

Never heard of this one before, hope I don't again. :depressed:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Yeah, EK.

What he said.

Thanks for making the extra effort.

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
These guys mostlikely didn't know any better, from the sounds of it and were praobly elated at finding the salmon caught in the tide pool. Not everyone goes out to break the law, some just don't know any better. Imagine being a nonfishing, or rarely fishing cracker who stubles on to a large bright chinook trapped in a tide pool. You'd proably figure out some way to get it, in this case they chose an oar and clubbed the fish like a seal pup on the ice.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
This used to be a common occurrence in Coos Bay when Anadramous was still in operation. Salmon trapped in the flats at low tide. The way I understand it, if you walk up to the fish with your rod, reel up to the tip and place the hook in the fish's mouth it's technically legal. What do you think the odds are of a fish surviving a tide series with no water? I really don't have a problem with it if the fish is trapped like that. But then again, I guess I'm just a hillbilly redneck.

[ 10-07-2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Ramstrong ]

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Drawing a mental picture of a dozen ifishers standing around a tide pool, rods in hand offering this fish all kinds of lures and such.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you can catch a fish with your bare hands is it legal? I have heard of people sneeking up on fish and grabing them. Also noodleing, useing your fingers as lures to catch fish. I think that must befor fish without teeth, like catfish. I think thats just in the south and not legal here.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Nice thread guys...... Jeez. Have we forgotten about ethics? About what's best for the salmon runs? About what we don't want to see happen on our rivers?

Be a hillbilly, but don't do it on the river I'm fishin'!!! Because I WILL call in snaggers, and anybody who doesn't fish LEGALLY.....

Don't want to get up on my high horse, but if you're in a boat and you snag a fish or club a fish in my presence, I'll Take The Time to see you pay for helping to ruin the reputation of MY sport.....

And WRO..... I don't care if they don't know any better. Ignorance is no Excuse for bein' a poacher....

We have rules for a reason, because if we didn't, there wouldn't be any possibility of having a fishery.

IMHO..... T :mad:

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
When I read your post I couldn't help but think of that scene from Jeremiah Johnson where Redford is splashing around in the creek trying to catch the trout with his bare hands and the Indian rides by on his horse with a whole striger of fish... :wink:

[ 10-07-2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Killertraylor ]

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Two years ago, a well-known guide, with a boatload of clients, witnessed a seal run a VERY large salmon all the way up onto the sandbar on the south side of the Rogue Bay. Being the "resourceful" type, he immediately raced over, jumped out, and grabbed the fish off the sand. 50lbs!!!

This was witnessed by many people, and the story was actually written up in the Curry County Reporter. As far as I know, this was an illegal action. Also as far as I know, nothing was ever pursued against this person.

TR

·
Registered
17,213 Posts
EK, way to go in taking the time to report those idiots. Too many folks would just shrug their shoulders and 'not get involved'.

OSP can't be everywhere, it's up to fisherman to report the violators - and get them el-kabonked!

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Talked with the OSP officer G. Love. Glad that you are out there working for us. Wish you had more help. Well I really wish that we didn't have snaggers/poachers/illegal hunters etc...

Please Be Careful, it sounds like you have to deal with some pretty low characters.

Back to the poacher. Officer Love met poacher at dock, no fish, and he was alone. The Poacher did admit that he clubbed a dead fish to use as bait. (not sure why he would have clubbed a dead fish, but I wouldn't expect a better lie from a poacher) He was from out of state, and did not have an OR. fishing license.

A violation will be issued against this person.

I come away with 3 hopes and 1 warning from this

1) That $299 will make them think before they act,

2) that they tell there friends that Oregon is not a place to fish illegally, and

3) maybe someone who read this thread and thought that this kinda crap was okay will also think twice before they act.

timinthegorge: you are not alone. If I see ANYONE fishing illegally I WILL report you and pursue the matter to see that you are legally punished.

Finally as Miss B Haven wrote, and this was confirmed by Officer Love, the Coast Guard will respond (either themselves or will contact OSP) so if you see illegal activity PLEASE don't hesitate to contact someone.

EK

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
It may be illegal to club a trapped fish. But I am not sure about it being unethical. Big difference. If it is legal, I think I would whack it and enjoy eating it. My bad. :depressed:

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
He won't pay the fine and Oregon will not persue him if he is out of state. But maybe he will get picked up in Oregon within the 5 year statute of limitations if we are lucky, what a dough ball. Probably dropped the fish off with the buddy on the beach. Bright salmon for bait? unlikely.

[ 10-08-2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Chrome Bumper ]

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
by the way Ramstrong

"What do you think the odds are of a fish surviving a tide series with no water?"

It chances of survival were 0 once this nimrod took his oar and clubbed this trapped animal on the head.

this fish had already made it through the low tide (it was on the rise when our unethical poacher decided to illegally take this fish.

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts
Geez Michael, don't you always bludgeon your frozen shad with several overhead swings of an 8 foot wood oar before you put them in your crap traps? :shrug:
:rolleyes:

Thanks for seeing this through.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Riverkeeper,

ummmmm tenderized crab bait.

must be some new zipperlip secret.

[ 10-08-2003, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: El-Kabong ]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts