IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was thinking about this the other day. Most outboards spend their running time at half to full throttle. I would think that a synthetic would be beneficial. Anyone running sythetic in their 4 stroke? My Suzuki spec's 10w-40.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I have to agree, Mobil 1 10w-30.....all my Honda's ever see.:bowdown: The best place to buy the oil in 6-packs is that place that starts with a C and end with an O. Price was 28.99/case of 6.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
Boat engines yes, they work hard, cars, no. You want to break them in on petroleum oil unless the manual says otherwise.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I've spoken with two seperate Honda Mechanics regarding my 225 and my 8hp and they've both told me not to use synthetic - just to use 10/30.....

·
Registered
735 Posts
I've spoken with two seperate Honda Mechanics regarding my 225 and my 8hp and they've both told me not to use synthetic - just to use 10/30.....
And there business is??????????????????????????????

Use a synthetic, your engine will love you for it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'm not a mechanic - nor do I play one on TV. These guys are both Honda outboard mechanics. Just passing on what they told me when I asked if I should switch to synthetic.... Neither of them knew each other - seperate question about 1 year apart. I'm all for doing whatever will give my engines the longest life. Have you guys been told synthetics are best?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I ran a Penzoil mix this year - switching to yami's newer oil - I've always been concerned about the lack of residual lube in the top of the valve train after the engine has sat for a while - I've heard that the synthetics had an issue in that had a tendency to run off the valve train in cars unless used regularly - but then what do I know - can't go wrong with
Yamalube 4-M FC-WÂ in yami engines .. or so one would think :shrug:

·
Registered
221 Posts
i started useing snthetic oil in my sportjet an i noticed i dont get the power out of it as i did useing striat petroleum oil.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I`ve used Amsoil products for over 30 years and I have been nothing but satisfied . They are now making an FWC (Fourstroke Water Cooled), rated oil for four stroke outboards and inboards.

Amsoil has a bad rep for it`s marketing plan, but there products speak for themselves.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
This might be a little off topic since we are talking about boat motors but did you guys ever see the test that Consumer Reports did on the different motor oils? They did the test with taxi cars. All of the motors were new and each was given a different type of oil which included sythetics. Some were maintentanced regularly and others not so regular. At the end of the test they disassembled the motors and compared wear of the various internals parts. What did they find?

Virtually no difference whatsoever in any of the oils!! The cheapest oils on the market worked just as well as the most expensive synthetics. Keep in mind this is on taxi's too that are constantly on a stop and go routine. Granted a car motor probably isn't getting the treatment that outboards are but it has to make you wonder if the more spendy oils are worth the money.

RM

·
Registered
821 Posts
Ive torn my own motors down and trust me there is a difference in motor oils. Not sure about your test. Any oil should work well as long as maintained properly. But there are differences.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Riverman,
I've read that info from cosumer reports also. Very interesting. My own experience suggests that their information is very accurate.

Bottom Line: Maintain your engines and they will last (as long as the motor oil you use has the proper API rating) Synthetic or conventional won't make a difference

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
This might be a little off topic since we are talking about boat motors but did you guys ever see the test that Consumer Reports did on the different motor oils? They did the test with taxi cars. All of the motors were new and each was given a different type of oil which included sythetics. Some were maintentanced regularly and others not so regular. At the end of the test they disassembled the motors and compared wear of the various internals parts. What did they find?

Virtually no difference whatsoever in any of the oils!! The cheapest oils on the market worked just as well as the most expensive synthetics. Keep in mind this is on taxi's too that are constantly on a stop and go routine. Granted a car motor probably isn't getting the treatment that outboards are but it has to make you wonder if the more spendy oils are worth the money.

RM
NY taxis rarely get shut down,they pretty much run 24 hr a day.

An engine running at full operating temps is pretty easy on oil.

Lets see the same test done,where the cars get treated like all our cars do. They get started and driven to work,they sit all day and get started again. If the trip to work is short they don't get up to operating temps either way.

Lets hook up a boat or trailer behind the taxi and tow it 50 miles to go fishing.

The Consumer reports was a decent test,but IMO it didn't replicate real life.

Most people can get away with conventional oil if they stick to the 3000 mile change thats been drilled into our head. If you run synthetics at change at 3000 miles,then yes its an absolute waste of money,heck even conventional at 3000 miles is typically a waste of money.

If you run synthetics and do a UOA (used oil analysis) you'll see that synthetics will infact go much further than 3000 miles. With a quality synthetic 10K miles isn't that difficult to achieve,and more than likely the oil will still have life in it at that point.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I`ve been somewhat of an "OIL FREAK" for about 30+ years. ICHTHYDEMON`s explination is VERY accurate. I run synthetics in about everything that moves but I understand there strengths and weakness`s. The weakness`s are easy, They last longer than we will beleive in! If however you intend to extend your normal drain intervals you have to know your engine and that it`s not deluting your oil with fuel which four stroke outboards have a habit of doing. Therefore you are better to change at recommended intervals. Why use a synthetic in your four stroke outboard then?

Easier cold starting
Less deposits
Smoother running
slightly better fuel consumption

They only hold a small amount of oil anyway so why not?

Your 2 stroke engins will benifit the most by using a synthetic.

Much cleaner running: Fewer spark plug changes
Smoother running
Slightly better performance
Much less smoking
Engines remain very clean with very minimal carbon buildup.

The best place to use a synthetic is in the lower unit, I have proven this to many on larger engines from 90 HP on up and have witnessed on many occations an increase of up to 300 RPM at WOT. The boat I have now, a Bass boat with a merc 150, I had to change props after changing over the engine and the lower unit oil because I actually did get a 300 RPM increase.

I have never had any failures with any Amsoil synthetics I have ever used.

Sounds like an Amsoil commercial, yes I`m a dealer but I only buy for freinds and family at my cost and am not saying all of this to sell oil hear. (Matter of fact, I won`t), I just want people to know that it`s a tried and proven product. Penzoil products are OK also.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you run synthetics and do a UOA (used oil analysis) you'll see that synthetics will infact go much further than 3000 miles. With a quality synthetic 10K miles isn't that difficult to achieve,and more than likely the oil will still have life in it at that point.
The main reason for an oil change is to remove the dirt that accumulates in the oil from combustion by products.
Synthetic oil still gets just as dirty as conventional oil, so I personally would not recommend a 10,000 mile oil change no matter what kind of oil you run.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
The main reason for an oil change is to remove the dirt that accumulates in the oil from combustion by products.
Synthetic oil still gets just as dirty as conventional oil, so I personally would not recommend a 10,000 mile oil change no matter what kind of oil you run.
Thats why you run the UOA. It'll tell you EXACTLY whats in the oil,and how much life is left. No guessing involved.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts