IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this recipe on a hunting show and I tried it this weekend with some elk steaks and it was fantastic......................

2 lbs Venison (or any game) Filet or back strap
3 large eggs
2 cups flour
4 cups fine unseasoned breadcrumbs
1 lb sliced Swiss cheese
8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
4 cups brown gravy
Preferred seasonings
½ cup water
Cut back strap or filet into 3 to 4 oz pieces. Using a chefs or filet knife cut and unroll meat to approximately ¼ inch thick rectangular pieces. Now using a meat hammer and butcher block pound the filets from the center working your way outward until they are approximately 1/16 inch thick and approximately 8 to 10 inches in diameter. Season both sides with preferred seasonings and place in refrigerator for approximately 2 hrs.
Make an egg wash by scrambling 3 eggs with 1/2 cup of water. Place 2 cups flour in large baking pan or bowl and pour the fine breadcrumbs into a large baking pan. Take each filet and coat with flour then give it a quick rinse in the egg wash. Now place the moisten filet in the breadcrumbs pushing down to so filets are evenly coated with the breading. You can prepare all of your filets to this step before proceeding to the next step.
I large skillet or griddle preheated to 350 degrees pour enough of your favorite cooking oil to cover the bottom. Now pan fry each filet until golden brown approximately 2 minutes each side. Continue this step until all filets are done. Stack prepared filets on a plate with a paper towel between layers to absorb excess cooking oil.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place filets on baking sheets cover each filet with fresh sliced mushrooms and sliced Swiss cheese place in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese in evenly melted.
Place Schnitzel on serving plate with garnish and add a side of German red cabbage and warm German potato salad.

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another hunting season recipe we enjoy..............

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have some back strap left from last years deer I need to go through before I leave for deer season in a couple weeks......

I'm going to do some of this up for Sunday dinner. Plan to put it over a bed of garlic smashed red potatoes covered in mushroom brown gravy with some cooked German apple/red cabbage and sliced garden fresh tomatoes........

Can't wait, I love me some German eats......

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pushing this favorite of ours to the top since hunting season is upon us.............

· Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
3,181 Posts
Don’t forget the spaetzle noodles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bumping to the top since it's hunting season..............enjoy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts