IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking some Boy Scouts up to Swift Reservoir to work on thier Fishing badges. I have never fished there before, so I NEED some info. We will be staying at Swift Forest Camp at the East end of the lake. We will be fishing out of my sled, so any tips, tricks, or locations would be great!

Thanks!

Ty

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I fished the east boundary last weekend in 6-15 ft water and saw nothing on the FF and had no bites with flashers, bobbers, bottom rigs. Went out to between the island and the south peninsula stumps - be careful of these deadheads - and found a few fish marks near the bottom at 38ft. One bull trout (likely) stripped about 20yds off the flasher rod and wrapped around a stump. Lost the whole rig and fish. Another sculpin take down. Otherwise not a thing.

I think the fish are deep in the river bed, 100-200 feet would not surprise me. The water skiers were messing things up a bit. Usually early in the season topwater rules, but like all lakes, unless its early/dawn, most hot/skier days will put fish down. If you don't have riggers, then put out a max of four trolling rigs with 3-5oz banana lead and flashers/wedding ring. Pretty much 1 pull per foot down. No snubbers unless using braid. Sling blade and koke'a'nut works well too. Crawlers at the end. Good luck.

·
Ray S.
894 Posts
In years past I've had pretty good luck trolling right up close to the dam. The depth can vary but the last time we did it we fished 70 to 75 pulls with 1.5 or 2 ounces of lead. Pink, chartruese or red wedding rings tipped with nightcrawler pieces worked best. Once my worms went belly up so I put a couple of those little pink shrimp flavored marshmallows on the wedding rings and that worked just about as well.
Another fun way to connect there is to run up the north side until you are across from the island. Then drift down in about 50 ft. of water letting the wind push you along. I put a #6 or 8 hook and a couple of split shots about 2 ft. above. Thread on a whole night crawler let out a pretty good chunk of line [depends how hard the wind is blowing] set your drag real loose put the pole in the holder and kick back...
Good luck with those youngsters Ray S.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Be carefull at swift they are drawing the res. down. the NF lewis has been to low to sustain Salmon/Steelhead smolt so they are begining to draw the res down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts