IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all...

Just wanted to know if any fish are in the Elochoman, Grays or the Nasselle River yet. If so, what is the method that has best been used to take fish?
I will be up there by the end of the month and those are my Three most fav rivers to fish...
Any help would be appreciated.
Also, hows the Kalama?

Thanks in advance and fish on...

Romeo

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
FishaholicAZ,

The Elocoman and Grays both should have coho in tidewater by now along with the Kalama. But it will take some good rainfall to move any up into the rivers itself. The magic number for the Elocoman is 1/2 inch.

Not sure about the Naeselle yet but it will require the rain also to get them out of tidewater.

Until then it will be a tidewater show in those rivers with the exception of the NF Lewis and the Cowlitz.

Last year I discovered that coho will hit Wiggler's in tidewater better than anything else. They will hit spinners in tidewater also but not as consistant as the Wiggler's. For the most part folk's are snagging or tight lining with corkies.

By the time you get here it should be hot everywhere.

I included some SW Washington coho info below that I posted previously on the Washougal thread and UG's report thread. Some of it I'm sure you are aware of since you have fished here previously.

Dan

A little info on SW Washington hatchery coho runs. Most of this I took and copied/pasted from my post on the Washougal thread and added and edited for accuracy.

The Kalama, Lewis and Elocoman rivers have both the early (type S) and late strain (type N) hatchery coho. The general rule of thumb is that the early's start returning around the end of August or early September. They wind down around mid October. Then the late's start showing around mid October and return through November and in some cases into December. It is not uncommon on the rivers that have the late strain coho to get a mixed bag of late coho and winter steelhead.

Some folks believe that the Cowlitz has two runs of coho. An "A" run and a "B" run. But in reality the Cowlitz has a late strain only. I think the confusion comes from the early run of Toutle/Green river hatchery coho that migrate through the lower Cowlitz all the way up to the Castle Rock area where they enter the Toutle.

The Toutle/Green has the early strain coho only. The Toutle is a real early run and should be showing up between now and next week.

The Grays River has only the early strain also.

The Washougal is the late strain coho only but does have some early strays that come from?

The Elocoman and Kalama rivers run timing in the river itself can be affected by the water level or rains. The Cowlitz and Lewis that are controlled by dams seem to always have enough water for the fish to move up when their clock says go.

Two years ago when we had a sizable hatchery year (1.3 million OPI) the Toutle coho were a big disappointment. I believe the Toutle had a 6 coho limit that year but they were held up in the Cowlitz due to low water conditions (drought) and didn’t enter the Toutle until early October and were for the most part in poor shape when they finally could go.

The Washougal starts out 3 coho a day this year and also they are the late strain coho type (N). I don’t fish the Washougal but would guess they probably won't start showing until about mid October as do the late's in the NF Lewis, Cowlitz, Elocoman and Kalama rivers. The run size is only estimated to be around 6,000 hatchery coho but has been given a 3 coho a day bag limit because unlike the Elocoman or Cowlitz the excess hatchery coho aren’t passed up stream to possibly spawn in the wild. Therefore they are giving you extra opportunity to catch the excess fish.

The Cowlitz, NF Lewis and Toutle rivers all start out with a 3 coho a day limit this year due to predicted strong runs and there is the possibility that they could get an in season bag limit increase to 4 or 6 fish a day. Possibility!

The bag limit on the Cowlitz was increased to 4 coho a day last season after fishery managers realized the return was larger than preseason predictions.

It’s going to be a great year and one not to be missed!

The OPI this year is predicted to be around a million coho.

Dan
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Here is how I keep tab's on the Elocoman. I get this forecast every day in my email program and if it is showing what looks like a substantial amount of rain for the Elocoman I either go or call the hatchery and inquire about the amount of rain and/or whether or not the river has rised or fish have moved up.

Enjoy your vacation.

Good morning, Dan!

Here's your Morning My-Cast prepared on Mon, Sep 8.
Check out kgw.com for My-Cast updates throughout the day.
Then tune in tonight to the KGW weather team for your complete forecast.

----- MY-CAST FOR ELOCOMAN -----

Mon 8AM: 49F Wind SW 4 Cloudy
Mon 10AM: 57F Wind SW 5 Partly cloudy
Mon 12PM: 57F Wind SW 5 Partly cloudy
Mon 2PM: 63F Wind SW 7 Cloudy

Mon 5PM: 62F Wind SW 9 Cloudy
Mon 11PM: 54F Wind S 4 Cloudy and Chance of Rain
Tue 5AM: 51F Wind SE 9 Rain
Tue 11AM: 55F Wind S 7 Rain
Tue 5PM: 56F Wind SW 8 Cloudy and Chance of Rain
Tue 11PM: 53F Wind SW 5 Cloudy

Currently: 54F Wind SE 3 Cloudy
(on Mon 5:55AM À at Kelso-Longview Automatic Weather Observing / Reporting System)

----- MY-CAST FOR HOME -----

Mon 8AM: 54F Wind S 7 Cloudy
Mon 10AM: 57F Wind S 7 Partly clear
Mon 12PM: 57F Wind S 7 Partly clear
Mon 2PM: 64F Wind SW 12 Cloudy

Mon 5PM: 62F Wind SW 12 Cloudy
Mon 11PM: 54F Wind S 13 Rain
Tue 5AM: 53F Wind S 19 Rain
Tue 11AM: 56F Wind SW 14 Rain
Tue 5PM: 56F Wind SW 12 Cloudy and Chance of Rain
Tue 11PM: 55F Wind S 8 Cloudy and Chance of Rain

Currently: 54F Wind S 6 Cloudy
(on Mon 5:50AM À at Newport Municipal Airport)

To view your full kgw.com My-Cast, click the desired forecast below:

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Fishaholic, Dan has it nailed. With the rain we're getting it will get RED hot soon. Just avoid the corky crowd and the fish will be more agressive and brighter too. I'd like to see em do something different than what they have been to thwart the massive amount of snagging going on. Like perhaps, outlawing the use of corkies from Sep to Nov. :tongue: What they're doing isn't working. I'd like to see more enforcement but that would force the state game depts to charge us out of state fees for a resident license just to fund it. :shrug:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... Some great advice and if anyone wants to meet up, let me know. I would love to learn some new fishing techniques and also meet some of the people behind IFISH.
As for the wigglers, are those wigglewarts or what and what kind of spinners work best? I have had some success with blue foxes and drifting eggs in the past. May want to try something new though...

Thanks and hope to see you on the water.

Fish on
Romeo

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
fishaholic, Brads wigglers are warts. He bought the molds and has colors better suited to our area and species we like to fish. He also has a lot of bass colors. For coho, all I can mention them by is the number due to one guy naming it something different than the next. A lot of confusion and sometimes drawn out thread arguments over names. :shrug: The ones that work really well BW29, 08, and 74. These will get you started. Stock in some stores might be depleted. Some stores don't carry some of these colors.

E-mail me and I can give you some contact info about locales or finding some of these colors.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
FishaholicAZ,

Spinners seem to work better in the river than in the tidewater from what I have seen. In tidewater I will catch ten to one on wiggler's as compared to spinners. Spinners seem to work best in tidewater at first light but the wiggler's will catch them all day long. Wiggler's work well in the river also.

Blue Fox spinners work well in tidewater and in the rivers along with other spinners. A few years back when I discovered the "late strain" coho run in the Elocoman river I was using a Blue Fox. I got it hung up across the river and the cheap skate that I am I went over to the other side of the river and waded for it. I found four or five other spinners. Score!

One of the spinners that I found out fished the foxes that afternoon. I thought at the time it was a home made spinner. The next morning I talked Brad Schoenborn into fishing my newly found fishery instead of the Naeselle where he was heading. He was glad he did and by 7 or so in the morning I had two nice coho on the bank. Brad never had a bite on his trust worthy foxes and you can hear him say in the video, give me that spinner. After switching to the spinner I found the day before we were heading home with 4 nice coho at 7:30AM.

Went to Bob's and bought spinner making material that Brad was out of and built some spinners. Around ten in the morning Brad and his wife Joann headed for the Elocoman as I baby setted their young daughter Kylie. The Elocoman hole that we fished is about a half hours drive from Longview. About noonish they were back with Joann's two cromer coho's.

Forgive me if I don't get the names right but I believe the spinner is a Flash Glo. It has a nickle body with chartruese beads. Don't recall the weight (maybe 1/8 oz.) of the spinner but is relatively light as the Elocoman is a small shallow river.

It didn't matter what body components we used as long as we used chartreuse beads (two different sizes if I recollect) and a #4 nickle french blade. I consistently killed them there and then on the Cowlitz and the few times I fished the Lewis hatchery hole including on the day of the Thanksgiving day flood of '99 I believe it was.

A year or so later Brad told me he was using a new spinner from the bank at the hatchery hole on the Lewis and it out fished the fox spinners and everything else that day. It was the new G-Spot spinner and had the chartreuse beads and nickle body but had a hole drilled in the french blade. So I got out the drill and drilled all my home made spinners and I don't know if it helped but they caught real well.

Last year I decided to try and field test some of Brad's new Wiggler's including the new custom color BW-29. It wasn't long and I felt comfortable with some BW-29's and leaving the rest of the wiggler's and spinners at home. It is a copy of the "old Style" wiggle warts in the nickle herring bone that some "in the know" (which didn't include me) used to dye with with a charise paint or dye. The rest is history and everwhere I went I showed and told folks how well they worked. Soon even some of the prior snaggers were fishing them and realized it was a whole lot more fun fighting a fish hooked in the head than in the tail. And it was legal!

My most favorite way to catch coho is in the rivers itself drifting eggs. Last year it was a low water year so I ended up fishing spots I don't normally fish where eggs didn't work well. So most (almost all) of my fish were caught on Wiggler's. Ended up with ton's of eggs because you don't burn them up fishing wiggler's.

At times I have been at a hole where the coho terrorize the eggs for a while and won't look at a spinner and next thing you know they won't touch them (eggs) and hammer the spinners.

Here's a couple pic's from 2001 of spinner fish caught on the Cowlitz (just below the "high bank hole"), egg fish on the Elocoman and some pic's of last years fish caught with wiggler's in the Kalama and Cowlitz and one Toutle egg fish.

2001 6 fish limit. Just below the "high bank hole". Caught 4 fish there a few times on spinners but never 6. Caught 6 elsewhere on the Cow on eggs.

4 fish on spinners - Cowlitz 2001

6 fish limit on the Elocoman on eggs - 2001

Toutle coho caught on eggs last year in low water - 2002

A couple coho caught last year in the Kalama tidewater on Wiggler's - 2002

Bank fishing wiggler's on the Cowlitz - 2002

Two nice coho's (one 19#'s and 15# if I remember right) caught in twenty minutes of bank fishing the Cowlitz with wiggler's. It was sooo crowded that there was nobody there to take a picture and I had them take one at Bob's.

And the awesome fish killin' machine, the BW-29.

And here is my largest coho ever and the first time I have broke 20 pounds on a coho that I posted recently after discovering it on a website.

"The Local Fisherman News" Photo Gallery

Earl,

You had it about right but actually Brad had the wiggler molds built and they are just slightly different than the old style Wiggle Warts that they discontinued. Beeg mistake! Anyway the original wiggler's didn't fish right and they modified the molds. Look at the indentation where the eye goes in. You won't see that on the Wiggle Wart's or the original Brad's Wiggler's. The correction or improvement took place well over a year ago and most all wiggler's in stock anywhere should be the newer improved like the one's I was using last year. And they work!

The two hottest colors that I used and saw used were the BW-29 and BW-08. The #8 is nick named the "pickle" in the Longview area and is hot for winter's also. The BW-29's became so popular that they sold out during the season. Some of the guys on the Cowlitz that I got started on wiggler's started using the smaller BWW-29 and some thought it worked even better. I caught my share of fish on the BWW-29 also. My best day was on the BW-08 however. But I probably caught over 75 coho's on the BW-29 last year.

I know nothing about the BW-74 but just looked at it on Brad's site and it looks like a good one to me. I don't think it was available last year but could be wrong. Looks alot like the BW-08 but has the stripes or "herring bone" instead of the black dots. Couldn't tell from the picture whether it has the same red or orange belly of the 08. Should be a good one!

Well that's all for now and apologize to Jenny for posting so many pic's but that season is among us and my ISP hasn't sent me the info I need to post the pic's there. I have a bunch more cool pic's I would like to share but we will all be puting some fresh pic's on there any day. I hope to be up there in a couple days and I will post some fresh pic's.

There is some awesome fishing up there the next two months and no reason, absolutely no reason for anyone to snag and/or floss these fish. They will bite in both tidewater and in the river and even a beginner lacking the drift fishing skills can easily catch coho (and chinook) on wiggler's.

Let's see if we can't join together and clean this mess up. Actually some of the gigger's are pretty good people and I have known some and was taught to fish that way a few years ago when I started learning (taught wrong, obviously) . But I have to agree with a lot of the comments I've read on this board that a lot of them are simply low-lifes.

Dan

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
There is some awesome fishing up there the next two months and no reason, absolutely no reason for anyone to snag and/or floss these fish.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Correction. That should of said three months. September, October and November.

The "late strain" coho's on the Lewis and especially the Cowlitz can go well into or through November and a bit into december but it get's pretty tough to catch some nice cromer's or bright one's in December.

Two years ago during the big hatchery year I caught an early winter in the Elocoman while fishing for late coho sometime in November and about a week later caught a crome coho.

Dan

·
Registered
85 Posts
DepoeBayDan

Great information and pictures, and it couldn't come at a better time. Tidewater fishing with wigglers is a blast, anyone who tries this technique will have a hard time fishing anyway else.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Dan,

Do you know where I can find a color chart for the brad's? I would like to see all of the colors he has, but so far, I've found nothing on line.

Looks like you have them dialed in. I love tidewater trolling for silvers!

Aaron

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dan,

Nice pics,and some great info,Where the best holes in the cowlitz?I never fished the lower river.(High bank hole?)If anybody interested in fishing lower cowlitz for silvers in my boat let me know thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts