IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately due to my extensive move from Depoe Bay to Longview, I missed most of the "early strain" coho fishing up there in SW Washington this season.
But that's alright, I'll catch more than my share of the crome "late's" here in a couple days when I get up there along with some late "earlies".
You can always count on fish up there this time of year and just have to adapt to weather conditions.

I've invited several ifisher's from Oregon and Washington I met this year through the site to fish with me up there this season which includes Stew, crabbait, GSA, Barviewrocks, UG, Born to Fish, Rebell, Love to Fish, SteelheadSlayer, LingSlayer, Marty, and a many others.

Been real busy with this move but I am now somewhat free to relax, recooporate, and kill some of those excess hatchery fish.
This is my favorite fishery of all which includes the awesome chinook fishery on the Oregon coast.

The coho's are aggressive biters on eggs, wiggler's and spinners and are a lot of fun on light gear. I use a 9' lite Grigg rod that I pestered them about building a few years back for this fishery.
The best methods I have found are:
drifting eggs, casting wiggler's, casting spinners, bobber and eggs.
I don't troll because I find it boring and catch just as many or more fish casting wiggler's (from boat or bank) as they do trolling.

With a little knowledge of when, how, and where to go, these fish are easy prey and provide good action and are of great quality usually chrome with sealice. I've got it down to a science now and know where to go due to weather conditions and/or run timing.
There are several different rivers in a very generalized area with different characteristics and fish with different characteristics.

I'll be heading up to Washington Thursday and spend some time with my daughter Thursday night and Friday but will have to teach the little six year old how to kill some coho's during my visit with her. I mean afterall, you should teach them at a young age shouldn't you?

Any of you that I invited and are interested in this fishery which at this point in time will consist mainly of the "late's" in the Cowlitz, Kalama and Elocoman, get a hold of me and let's have some fun!
The lates will just be getting started over lapping the earlies in some areas with the Cowlitz probably being the first or earliest of the late strain.
These "late strain" coho fisheries will gain momentum and peak around mid to the third week of October and go strong into November lasting untill approx. mid November.
Some rivers require some rain to kick them out of the tidewater like the Elocoman that needs a good half inch of rain and others like the Cowlitz don't need any rain.
And don't worry about the nets. I limited out just about every time I went the last few years with 2, 4, or 6 fish limits regardless of whether the nets were in or not.

I mostly bank fish, but know some excellent boat areas also and some of the areas I fish are almost impossible to snag fish and void of snaggers, and some of the areas are uncrowded and I somtimes find myself catching a limit of fish with no one else around. That's boring though, so come join me.

Dan

PS> I don't have a phone presently while in limbo or the net, but still have my same old email and check it through web mail and I got me a cell phone for the occassion. The cell # is (541) 921-2185 and will be changed shortly to a Longview or Vancouver area number where Verizon is available. You can also email me at my cell phone at [email protected]

·
Registered
448 Posts
You mentioned me at one time and I still want to get my six year old into a salmon. I'd love to learn bank techniques. I am still learning with a little success floating eggs on the sandy.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea cool Scotty. I remember that kinda sorta :grin: on a Clackamas thread.
The Clack coho have been another dissapointment again this year.
I have a good friend that lives on the Clack just above Barton and had him coming up to the Cowlitz alot last year and we smoked them. Kind of ironic that he lives on the Clack and yet was running all the way up to the Cowlitz in Washington to slay the fishies. :shocked:

I got to go for now Scott because I am about forty minutes from home (Depoe Bay still if you can believe that one :grin: ) and have to head home.
Have to drive real carefull as the cops will be suspiciously watching at this time of the morning but I have gone something like 90 days plus without any alcohol at this point.

Get a hold of me and we will put your six year old into a fish as long as he can cast a rod. That's all it will take to catch one on a wiggler.

I will be back and forth from Longview to Depoe a few times this month darn it, but will spend as much time up there in Longview where I am moving as I possibly can.

Just call me or email me when you are ready to come up there and fish. I will be fishing there (and catching) this weekend but will have my daughter that I rarely see and she will be the priority of the weekend.
Your six year old boy isn't chasing around six year old girls yet, is he? :grin:

Fish On! Can hardly wait!

·
Registered
448 Posts
He's a lady killer (my six year old) :grin: just kidding. I have got him castinf my 8'6" spinning outfit on his spare time. I told him the only way he is going to catch a salmon was to learn and he is doing Okay. I probably won't make the trip this weekend but maybe next. I am going to give the Sandy another go on Thursday and this weekend is SOLV's beach cleanup. I'll drop you an e-mail when its a go. What is the requirements as far as tags go for youth up there? I'll check WDFW website.

Scott

And one more thing, MAJOR congrats on the sober thang. That is so kewl. I bet your loving the time you spend with your daughter. And your right about the clack. I spent a few days trying and foulhooked one with NO take downs. Everyone I know that has caught anything has covered a lot of water in a boat. No real bank opportunity it seems. I have had on ok day on the Sandy with a couple of fish but otherwise Nada.

[ 10-08-2003, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: ScottyV ]

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
DPD,

Glad to see you came over from the dark side :grin: Welcome to Washington. I'm with you on the rains...I too am waiting on the Elochoman to come up a little to move those silvers up in there!! Maybe this weekend will help! Drop me a line if you ever need a fishing partner!

- :dance: jokester

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
DPD
Slowpie and I live in Columbia City and spend quite a bit of time in Longview shopping etc. Her employer just moved her to Rainer as well. We've only fished that far down river once but would love it if you could take some time to show us the hot spots. We have both the Arima and a drift boat so we can handle three fishermen.
Holler when you're settled in and have some time. :smile:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.
I'm pressed for time right now and over at afriends house in Depoe bay using his Mac. (Yuk)! Great computers but used to right clicks and keyboard short cuts!

Thanks for the congrats on the sobriety thing, etc.
I will be up there in that area tomorrow night and through the weekend but my daughter that I don't see often enough will take priority over everything else.
The Elocoman will produce fish if we get that 1/2" rain but will probably produce for the most part not so fresh early strain coho with maybe some lates mixed in.
However, if we get a good rain around the third week in October (plus or minus a week), they'll (chrome lates) will come up like gangbusters.

The lower Cowlitz will be producing good oportunities any day now and will get better with time and continue hot untill at least early to mid November and opportunities into December.

Kalama tidewater should be producing cromers right now on wigglers.

Got to go for now.

Here is an email from a new friend I met on the Cowlitz last year that i got started catching coho's, steelhead and chinook on the Cowlitz in the Lexington area in response to an email I sent him last night. Will answer other ifisher's email's when I get time later today or tomorrow.
Him and his buddies caught many fish on them.

Dan,
The Cowlitz river is full of fish, unfortunately they are early run coho
and dont bite. We have been catching a few late run here and there.
Every day it seems to get better. Brad's wigglers are still the lure of
choice this year, and it doesnt seem to matter what color. We have been
catching fish on just about every color we put in the water. BW-29s and
BW-08s (the pickle) are still very popular. We have caught fish on the
BW-43 (purple with chartreuse bill and stripes), BW-74 (the old storm
firetiger color), BW-10 (looks like the pickle only it has a pink back),
and any red or orange wiggler. Im sure Ill be seeing you on the river
in a couple of weeks.
Nate
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Umm.... Dan, can I get on this list? :depressed: I promise to behave! :grin:

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Dan, sent you a couple 'private messages' see your profile.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
DAn,
I had no idea either. You're right down the road from U.S.I.A. .

CALL me and stop by for a factory tour. 800-247-8070.

CAPT KUJO

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Hey Dan, welcome to Longview! I live on the hill over looking Lexington. I've never fished for Coho before, but would love to give it a try. Check your private messages. :cheers:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Dan, congrats on your success to date on sobriety - we're all proud of your accomplishment.

You have at least one personal email from me regarding Sturgeon Dave and getting together. I gave him the cell phone number you posted above and hopefully he got ahold of you. Dave wants to talk to you and probably get together for fishing as soon as you're settled into your new digs. Please give him a call if you get a chance.

Sounds like Dave will be returning to work shortly if the Doc agrees that he's ready. If he goes back when he expects, he figures his first days off will be the 17th through the 20th or 21st. I suggested that all things considered, that might be a good weekend for me to make the trip from Boise, if that works out with his and your plans. I'm flexible to some degree, so if that's not a good time for either of you then other plans could be made.

Let me know what you think either on this thread or via the email route.

Take care and I'm sure you'll enjoy the moments with your daughter - hope you can put her onto some good fish and "get her hooked on fishing." :dance:

Dean

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Dan, I was thinking about you this evening as I cooked a couple of the sea bass we caught in August. They were fantastic and the wife liked it too. Thanks for showing lucky Luke and I how and where to catch them. We went back a couple times after you went with us. We're greatful.

Congrats on the sobriety, It's fantastic that you are still counting. I knew you could do it.

Look forward to scouting out those late coho with you. I can get out in the afternoons about anytime so feel free to call or email if ya need a ride or someone to holler at for knocking on off with a net. I love the Kalama this time of year too.

IT's a wonderful time to live and be in the Portland SW Washington area. Enjoy that 6 year old cause they grow up very fast.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*
Ray

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
As a reccomendation you can catch early run coho much better at night than during the day.. glowballs and eggs always work well + fishing at night will improve how you interpet bumps and twitches much better, and its a hoot.. Much more fun than fishing during the day. (its legal in washington on many rivers)

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is two pic’s of “early strain” Toutle coho I caught on the lower Cowlitz a couple weeks ago (9/16/03 & 9/17/03), the only opportunity I have had to fish up there this year (so far).

The first coho I caught casting a #29 wiggler out of Bob Spar’s sled and the second pic is of the second coho I landed the next morning casting a #29 wiggler from the bank. Earl (SteelheadSlayer) just walked down to the hole after I posted the night before on ifish that I would be there and started talking to me when I yelled; “fish on” and it came sky rocketing out of the water. I had a third one on that morning that would have made my 3 fish limit, but after visiting with Earl for awhile, I had to head down the road to good ‘ol Dopey Bay.
Normally the coho follow the wiggler until they get close to the bank and inhale them but this particular coho hit it out there about 30 yards or so at the length of my cast.

So I missed out on the “earlies” this year for the most part because of my move, but will make up for it the next 5-6 weeks with some late “earlies” and chromer “lates”.

I posted on someone’s thread about a month ago or so (I believe it was a Washougal thread) an in-depth summary of the “early strain” and “late strain” coho in SW Washington rivers and their approximate run timings. I don’t recall which thread it was or am going to take the time to look it up but will give you a rundown of the remaining late strain coho fisheries.

The Elocoman has both the early and late strain coho.
The Kalama has both the early and late strain coho.
The NF Lewis has both the early and late strain coho.
The Washougal has the late strain coho only (with the exception of some early strays).
The Cowlitz has the late strain coho only (with the exception of some early strays). A lot of fishermen get the Cowlitz confused as to having both early and late strain or an “A” run and “B” run. It does not. It does get the early strain Toutle coho that travel the lower stretch of the Cowlitz up to around the Castle Rock area where they enter the Toutle River (a trib of the Cowlitz).

The run timing for the “late strain” is generally around mid October to early to mid November. The Cowlitz with the large run it has seems to get started a bit earlier than some of the other rivers. You can also catch them into December especially up high at the Barrier Dam but the quality starts to deteriorate that late in the season.

I just found my ’99 tag the other day (irresponsibly didn’t turn it in) when I was sorting through paperwork for my move and there was 4 coho tagged Thanksgiving day and 4 the next day.
I jokingly told the few fishermen fishing there that down where I live (the Siletz River area) we had houses, barns and cows floating down the river and here I was catching coho on the day of the Thanksgiving flood and the day after!
One day I caught all 4 on homemade spinners, and the next day all were caught on eggs.
The fish were all bright but after filleting some of them, the meat was a disappointing pale color. The eggs were great.
Thanksgiving day my least favorite river (the Lewis) was very high but clear with Cedar Creek and other areas dumping in mud and very few anglers fishing because of Thanksgiving Day.
Friday, the river must have come up approx. ten feet and the water was off color but very fishable thanks to the dams upstream (one of the few times I appreciated a dam). :grin:
At one point I waded out onto the steel grate that normally over looks the hatchery intake and the water was about 4 inches below the top of the handrail! There was a big plume of water coming out from up under the grate and there was coho swimming all around it and me. It was pretty bizarre!

So as you can see, the runs are pretty spread out and they are actually bred that way up there on the Lewis according to a hatchery employee I talked with. Instead of taking the first earlies or lates to return only, they take some fish from different timings of the runs to spread them out.
This brings up this particular email I received today from an ifisher that I disagree with:

Hey DDan

You talking about the NF Lewis and Kalama late (N) coho programs ?
Cowlitz is another story.

I'll clue you in.

Neither hatchery has continued with the N fish program like they did for 40+ years. The N + S fish. Early s Late N fish are now all brooded together. I think this was a huge mistake. They used to spawn 2 seperate run times but haven't now for at least 5 years. What a shame. They are now considered 1 stock. Yes some are spawned latter than others but no care is taken as in the " old days " to keep them seperated by run timming or ripeness.

If you know something different please CLUE me in

Thanks
XXXXXX
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">First of all, they do have two entirely different strains in SW Washington. The earlies (type S) and the lates (type N).
They are entirely different strains of coho for you folks that believe a “fish is a fish” with the earlies typically returning late August/early September to mid October and they migrate south (off the Oregon coast) when they reach the mouth of the Columbia River, thus the designation “type S”.
The late strain coho (type N) typically return mid October to around mid November (depending on the river and/or river flows) and they migrate north (off the Washington coast) when they reach the mouth of the Columbia River, thus the designation “type N”.

I fish both strains extensively and talk with biologist in Vancouver and Olympia and it is quite obvious that Washington still produces both strains.

I personally prefer the late strains anymore because some of the smaller rivers (Elocoman, Toutle and Kalama) require adequate water flow to get coho up out of tidewater and into the river itself when the fish are still fresh, good shape and in the biting mode, which seems to be a problem on any given year. However, last year I caught probably 20 or so early cromers in the Kalama tidewater casting wigglers in September before fishing the late strain coho in the Cowlitz around the 10th of October. The fishing in the Cowlitz was so hot that I never went back to fishing the later arriving late strain coho in the Kalama tidewater even though a new friend I had met earlier in the Kalama and converted from corkies to wiggler’s exploited them throughout the month of October and into November.

Plenty of opportunities and great fishing ahead.
Last year we caught a few bright to chrome Chinook by accident in the Cowlitz while fishing wiggler’s for coho and saw quite a few nooks caught by others on wiggler’s, spinners and old style wart’s. We also caught a real early winter steelhead at the end of October or beginning of November.

The last time I fished the Cowlitz last year was November 11th and I was only able to catch 2 out of the 4 fish limit but they were both chrome with sea lice. Friends of mine in Longview caught coho beyond that but don’t recall how late. If I remember right the Toutle muddied the lower Cowlitz and brought that stretch of river to a season closure.

Well, got to go. Hope you appreciate the book! :grin: It’s late.

AuntyM, of course you are invited and I invited you and your friend Stew earlier this year. I meant to go back and add your name to the list as I did a few others and spaced it again. I knew I would space some.

I sure would like to get Jennie & Bill up there for a day or two along with STG Rule and her husband. For those of you that haven’t the pleasure to meet STG, Ruth is a kick. Had the pleasure of meeting her at ifishstock.

Time Off, your living right at one of the hottest boat and bank holes. A friend of mine lives in Lexington right near the gas station (Chevron?) and you just drive up the river a bit past Riverside Park up to where the dike comes right along side the road and when you see a sigh designating a church on the left (New Song?) you’re right smack in the middle of the hole. Just drive another 100 yards or so up the road and you can drive right up on the dike at the end of a smaller hole (tailout- that is hot) and the upper end of the long but great hole with plenty elbow room. Doesn’t matter where you are at in the lower hole for the most part because it is a deep slot and the fish are just moving through. The upper end is not all that hot because it is an eddy and doesn’t produce very well normally except for the occasional snagger or flosser (one of the few spots on the lower Cowlitz where snagging can effectively be done). That’s where I met the nice kid Nate that I posted his email earlier and you can see he is a believer of fishing wiggler’s now.

Dean, that should put you right smack in the middle of things. Looking forward to seeing you again! :smile:

Willametteriveroutlaw,

As you stated only some rivers are open to night fishing. The NF Lewis and Cowlitz are but believe the intent is to fish for winter steelhead at night and believe it opens to night fishing somewhere towards the end of November (could be wrong about that) but you still have a lot of late strains in the rivers then.
I stay away from the Lewis as much as possible and my only experience fishing salmonids at night was in 2001 at the Barrier Dam. I wasn’t impressed.
Both me and the gal I took up there caught fish but most were foul hooked and most that we saw caught were foul hooked and snagged fish (kept).
It is indeed a very different and unique experience but I will pass from now on.
I prefer to see where my bait lands and where the fish is going.
I hands down prefer catching them during day light hours. Just my opinion.

GaryK, if you were referring to the private messages that you sent me a couple days ago regarding another thread, I got them and appreciate them. Thanks!

I did receive two emails on my new cell phone but can’t figure out how to read them. :hoboy: One was from Dean and another was from a XX [email protected]. Don’t have a clue who the ifisher Brown is or what he sent?
I also got three voice mails but can’t figure out why I can’t get them and don’t have a clue who they are from and might not be ifisher’s, all when I was charging my battery.

Better stick to emailing me at my regular email for now. :wink:

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey Dan,
Don't know if you got the email I sent you a couple of weeks ago, but the offer is still good if you need any help moving. Just give me a call @ 360-904-0780. I'm taking most of next week off to do a little crabbing and I'm going to try for some salmon down at the coast. Let me know when you want to get together.

Later,
love2fish
Steve

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
DBD

Graybeard just moved to Longview as well. He hasn't been on the board in a while so maybe this thread will perk him up.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Steve,

When I mentioned you above I wrote love to fish instead of love2fish. It's been a long time and I got them mixed up.

Most of my stuff is in storage in Taft (Lincoln City) for now and once we find a place in Longview it will be coming up. You bet, I could use the help when it comes time. Email me when you have time to come up to Longview and fish.

Need to get a move on as I am anxious to get up there this afternoon/evening and see my daughter and catch a fish.

I will reply to the rest of the emails I recieved regarding this fishery after I get up there and have a little more time.

Dan

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A pic and email of some coho and a chinook caught last night by a guy I met and got started fishing wiggler's last year on the Cowlitz.

Dan,
We caught these fish on the Cowlitz river last night between 5:30 and
6:30 pm. The two silvers were caught on a BW-29. I caught this 25#
Chinook on a BW-10 (pink & silver). The fish are starting to show up.
See you on the river,
Nate
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

I just recieved my News Release from Tacoma Power and it shows their employees recovered 1,264 coho adults this past week and that compares with 270 or so last week if I remember right.
They're on their way!
It's time!
http://www.ci.tacoma.wa.us/tpu/Cowlitzfish.htm

Dan

[ 10-09-2003, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: DepoeBayDan ]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts