IFish.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am heading to Suttle Lake this weekend hoping to catch a few fish. Any advice on how to catch fish at there at this time of year would be appreciated. There was an incident in the past where fish were rising everywhere but they absolutely ignored me - with my fiancee in the boat - she claimed they were mocking me. I have a desire avenge myself on this lake.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I tried it with flies about two years back in late May and though all I caught was a white fish what was interesting is the feeding frenzy that goes on about dark. A hatch comes out and the water is constently dappled with activity. I can't say how much is fish and how much is emerging and/or egg-laying bugs.I watched this from my campsite as the bats took ad vatage of the action.
However, some friends told me their son use to go to the "beach" on the north side and cast out as far as he could or have some one drop his line way out and he would sit on the beach for bite.I guess he did quite well- Using worms on the bottom.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
The fish this time of year are likely rising to a calabetes (sp?) hatch. Go to a flyfishing shop and ask for calabetes emerger patterns. If you dont have a fly rod get a casting buble that is clear followed by at least 4 feet of leader. Cast that puppy out and slowly bring it back in 4" inches at a time with a 20-30 second rest between 4" strips. If that bobber moves set the hook. When this hatch is on the trout will ignore most other offerings. I have had 100+ fish days flyfishing on Mt. Hood lakes while worm/powerbait/lure fishermen were catching squat.

Hope this helps :cheers:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts