IFish.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went Saturday after 4th and had NO worry of going over kokanee limits whatsoever! We fished from around 6AM til noon and right before we left (after trying wedding ring with nothing, worm, pautski, or corn, we started trying power bait -- brown was magic and produced the only 2 hits (Steve took 1 nice rainbow to the boat, and I lost the other) we got.

Good luck ---- oh, I also tried jigging and Steve tried some Super Dupers -- nuttin -- and the 64 degree water was like bathwater

[ 07-09-2003, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: fishinlady97140 ]

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I'm taking my family camping at Suttle Lake for three days. I've never camped there or fished there. I've got a 14 foot boat. What can I do to fish for kokanee or trout? I've never fished for kokanee before. I've trolled worm tipped wedding rings behind Ford Fenders on Detroit Lake with great success. However, what works at Suttle Lake?

Please provide the best ifish.net tactics I need to use. You guys really came through for me two weeks ago when I went clamming in Newport.

Much appreciation in advance.

SKP

·
Registered
516 Posts
As far as trolling for trout you should be able to use the same set ups as Detroit. Just remeber in the in summer you need to add some lead if the water temp is up and a lot of people run downriggers in the summer. With an average depth of 44 feet, jiggin for kokes would probably be the way to go. I am not big into jigging but if you do a search on Kokanees you can read a lot about what jigs people use.

I found this info on another website

The lake covers an area of 253 acres. The average depth of the lake is 44 feet with a maximum depth of 75 feet. The lake has an excellent population of naturally reproducing kokanee, plus brown trout, whitefish, and crayfish.

Kokanee fishing at Suttle Lake is best in May and June using bait. The most commonly used baits are periwinkles and caddis larva, but night crawler and red egg combinations are also popular. Kokanee sizes currently average 9 to 10 inches. Still fishing from a boat is the best approach, fishing closer to shore early in the season and in the deeper water during mid-summer. The same baits work throughout the season when presented just off the bottom. It is possible to fish from the bank for kokanee near the Suttle Lake picnic area on the northeast corner of the lake.

Brown trout from 10 inches to 10 pounds hide out here, with many in the 3 to 5 pound range. Most are taken early in the season trolling a Rapala near the surface. Late in summer, the brown trout head for the depths. Flashers, lures, and Rapalas need to run deep this time of year. Late in the season is another good time of year for catching brown trout. When late in the day, or anytime light intensity is low, chances of catching a big brown increase. Mid-summer fly fishers troll nymphs and Woolly Buggers near the surface. Early evenings are especially good fly-fishing. Any lure, spinner, or fly that looks like a succulent kokanee fingerling will appeal to the big browns. Crayfish patterns are worth a try, too.

Native whitefish of 10 to 12 inches are usually an incidental catch when fishing for the other species. The fry are a favorite snack of brown trout.

Boats are most commonly used on Suttle Lake, float tubes are adequate, and wading is possible in some areas. There are few areas fishable from shore. Suttle Lake has a koka­nee catch limit of 25 with no size limits, in addition to the trout limit of 5 per day, with an 8-inch minimum, and of these no more than 1 over 20 inches. There is no limit for whitefish. Check the current OSFR before fishing.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I'm back from Suttle Lake. The wind was up most of the time. We had a couple of fish on Friday evening, but lost them. We were skunked. I did see another boat come in with 8 kokes, and another with 2 and a a small brown trout. He had downriggers and fish finders, of which we had neither. Most boats had nothing.

Thanks for the info.

SKP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts