IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I are heading up to Suttle Lake Saturday for a week of camping and kokanee fishing. Any reports/helpful hints? I sure appreciate any information that you might have.

Thanks,

Joel

·
Registered
17,006 Posts
1. The food at the 'resorts' restaraunt was way over-priced for what it was.

2. Summer evenings in July and August I've enjoyed casting for rising browns in the flat, moving water by the dam at the highway end.

3. Two decades of Forest Service operations have left the area looking, well, tattered. Especially the side opposite the highway, where the campgrounds are.

4. For a nicer setting you might want to try the Metolius campgrounds, the ones by Bridge99 are less crowded. Or see how Round Lake CG, located across the highway, north of Suttle Lk on a map, is these days?

·
Registered
525 Posts
you might also take a drive to the west before you get to hoodoo and turn left onto corbett elliot snow park and take the gravel road at end of the parking lot. there are 5-6 different lakes back there that you can drive to and fish or camp at for free. some of them have browns in them (meadow lake ) and some of them have brook trout (island), island lake is my favorite to fish. it is also just a real nice drive, the roads are good but do have a little washboard but no big deal. can see some dandy bucks right now in velvet in that area. good luck

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Assuming the kids are old enough to get around a bit, a nice day hike is from the Pacific Crest Trail parking lot on the Santiam Pass to Square Lake. It's about a mile and a half, mostly level. The lake has some fish in it. Do this mid-week.

Another approach is to commence at the Round Lake campground, then hike to the west end of Round, find the trail to Long Lake, follow that past Long to Square. I haven't done that in years, don't know the trail condition.

Other nearby day trips could be to Jack Lake, Cabot, and Camp Sherman.

Grab a Deschutes NF map at the Sisters Ranger Station. Take a bucket of Deet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts