IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gents,

I picked up my boat this week and am looking forward to using the heck out of it. My question is this. Knowing that I will be pulling this behind a 4700 lb camper, I bought the tricker trailer with a surge break option. The total weight (fluids full) should be about 3000 lbs.
What type of feel or performance will I expect to feel from these surge breaks?
How do I use them effectively?
What do I NOT do so that they don't get screwed up?

Thanks.

TJ

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
The surge breaks are nice. I have them on my boat trailer. One thing I would recommend is to adjust them regularly. Especially until you get them broke in. It's easy to do and should be explained in your documentation. "RTFM".
By adjusting regularly, you should have equal braking on each side. When you get one side that locks up more than the other, you may have to back it off a click to balance them. That is about the only control you have on them.

Also, make sure you rinse well after salt water.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If it is a Tricker w/ Dexter Torflex axle, put on shoes with riveted pads before the glued pads fall off & damage the drums like mine did.
1 1/2 yrs old & only about 1500 miles on the trailer. Dont get me wrong, I love my Tricker but the brake assy was junk. I always rinsed them after salt use. I was stunned to find that the pads were glued on. I replaced the entire brake assy on each wheel, backing plates & all over the winter. No problems w/ the surge coupler.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick info.

How about their effectiveness going down hills with a Camper in front? I'm still a bit confused as to when they do anything and what I can expect going down hills...

TJ

·
Registered
133 Posts
I also have a Tricker trailer and it has been a good trailer so far, 3 years. As stated above the lining came off the shoes (didn't do any damage) this last spring when I was packing bearings. Went to buy brake shoes and it was only a few dollars more to buy the whole assembly including the backing plate (all galvanized, not like the stock ones I took off). Take off four bolts, old one off new one on, done, slick!

The only thing I have been warned about with surge brakes is going down a long hill where it is possible that the surge brakes won't have a chance to back off they might heat up. Makes sense but so far hasn't happened to me. Haven't pulled the boat with the camper yet. Good luck.

Doubletake

1 - 5 of 5 Posts