IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be down at Lincoln City the week of the 15th were is a good place to go for perch. My father is coming down and we have not fished for perch since I was a kid and then we did it on Long Beach in Washington. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Salmon Loser,
I don't fish the LC area much for surf perch. I have had good luck however going further south down to Newport. Go down to the Nye Beach turnaround, park in the public parking area. I usually head North up the beach, start fishing then come back down South. Another spot is further South between Newport and Waldport. It is ONA Beach. I have had success at both places over the years. Funny, years ago I was fishing at the Nye Beach area for perch. Landed a nice little 5 pd coho right in the surf. I think it was a OR Aqua hatchery. Released it but still fun on surf perch gear. Remember, surf perch are not out very far. Short casts into the rolling surf usually finds them. Many times fisherman cast out beyond them. Once you find them move along the beach with them. Good luck and take a bucket along.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Originally posted by DriftR:
Remember, surf perch are not out very far. Short casts into the rolling surf usually finds them. Many times fisherman cast out beyond them. Once you find them move along the beach with them. Good luck and take a bucket along.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Thanks for the tip. That probably has been my problem, casting too far. Next time I will try shorter casts.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip DriftR I will try it down there. I will be in newport doing some crabbing anyway.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Lincoln Beach State park has been good and consistant for the last couple years. Located between Lincoln City and Depoe Bay. We might be there on the 15th.

Dan

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Many times fisherman cast out beyond them.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I've always heard that you're supposed to cast just beyond the furthest breakers.

Is this true? If not how far out in relation to where the waves are breaking?

·
Registered
846 Posts
2nd or 3rd row of breakers will usually hold the perch, depending on how far you want to cast, but hurling the bait out a country mile is futile. Also, rather than carry a bucket, I use a clam net, attached to my belt. Can't get a clam season so the net is not getting used much :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Where I've seen catching going on, it seems like there is a definitive 'hole' in the beach where the perch hold in. Naturally, I never have my gear with me when this happens. I've walked up and down long stretches (in the miles) of beach where it's very homogenous and un-perch-friendly-looking.
My question is, do you need to find a really deep spot in the surf for these things, or do they hold in relatively shallow areas as well?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I may be steeping right in the middle of it but what the heck is a sand chicken?
By the way don't know how far you want to go, We head down to Florence. Start right next to the north jetty and work you're way north. We turn around with our limit or about a quarter mile past Driftwood Shores Hotel. For bait we just cut the mussels off the jetty rocks. Hang on and have fun. :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have had good luck with using sand shrimp over the years on a little longer hook. I then use strectchy thread and secure the sand shrimp parts on the hook. Another good little bait I use is the little white or yellow rubber grub worms. The little tails on those rubber grubs seem to attract the perch. I go really small on these grubs. No more than 1 1/2" to 2" in length and get the ones with the curly tails. Another thing I use is flat lead sinkers. They look like 4 bit pieces. I just prefer them over pyramid or tear drop. I like that idea about using a clam sack in place of a bucket. It is really fun when you get into them. Good little fighters and tougher to hook than you would think.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
sled19,

Oh that's what a friend of mine called 'em down in Eureka, Cal. Sand shrimp.

DriftR,

I used to sell a lot of those safety pin hooks (or catfish hooks) and wondered why folks were paying that kind of money for those hooks. A couple years ago I was having problems hooking them which I normally don't on #2 snelled hooks. So I tried one of those hooks and was pleasantely surprised at how well they worked. It makes it harder for the perch to steal the bait and they are really fast to re-bait up and that is important when a school moves in and leaves a short time later.

Dan

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
There’s been a couple threads on surfperch lately. Here’s a post I made on a surfperch thread a few days ago and the URL for the thread. Some of the answers asked will be answered there in part or in full.

A couple other baits I have used are:

In Humbolt Bay fishing for redtails back in the early 80’s we used the viscera or whatever it is out of uncooked crab backs that we obtained from the fish plants and they seemed to work better than anything at the King Salmon part of the bay when the “pinkfins” were in. Damndest thing and my only experience with that bait.

Up in the Trinidad area we used mussels sometimes and they seemed to work well on sandy beaches where there were intermittent rocks around.

Someone mentioned sand worms and they probably work better than anything when they are available.

Clam parts or necks have worked real well also especially on beaches where razor’s are present.

Someone also mentioned plastics but I haven’t experimented with them much but have heard they can work real well.

Years ago when there was a fly shop in Lincoln City they used to catch them fly fishing in the surf.

Sand Chickens are hard to beat when fishing for redtails! I have had better luck with them even when sand crabs or moles were present and tried both.

I have heard of some good fishing for redtails in Lincoln City itself but haven’t done it or know the exact locations. I will check with some of my sources and if I gain some valuable info, I will post it.

Meanwhile, you might check with Bi-Mart in Lincoln City and K&L Tackle (I believe it is called) in Box Car village (Taft).

Jimmy Carl Black, my experience tells me along those sandy beaches there are “honey holes” or deeper spots where the perch seem to congregate. You can tell these spots at high tide with a trained eye or even look for them at low tide if you arrive there early enough. I have read this over the years also.

Back to pouring lead. Hope this answers some questions.

http://www.ifish.net/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=025402

Lincoln Beach state park has been consistently good the last few years and a couple beaches north and south of there.

Ona state beach between South beach and Waldport is normally a good bet.

Short Beach between Tillamook Bay and Netarts Bay is an excellent beach for redtails and real consistent because it is locked in by rock formations at both ends and the beach never changes (you don't have to locate a honey hole). Same place year after year.

There use to be some good redtail fishing in the Pacific city area but I haven't kept up with redtails much in recent years. Might give Bernie a call @ Nestucca Country sporting goods @ (503) 965-6410. I might stop in there and inquire Monday or Tuesday when I am up there delivering tackle. Will report back if I find anything encouraging.

Fshklr, where are you getting your sand worms from? Only place I have ever ran into them is while clamming in the bays. You're right, awesome bait for just about anything. Nasty little buggers.

Dan
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
DBD,
Are those hooks with the safety snap setup double hooks or just a single? I've used the doubles before but couldn't find smaller ones and even singles. Where did you or do you get them at the coast?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I tried surf perch on a fly about 10 years ago........didnt really want to do the 'surf hop' too much, seemed dangerous for a clumsy guy like myself. Anyway I have some flies tied up and would be more than willing to donate some (they are just setting here) if someone is wanting to ff for perch :wink:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
My 2 cents worth.

Cape Mears and Cape Look Out State Parks, the go-to place for perch!

Small sand shrimp are the number 1 baits for perch! Small sand shrimp are the number 1 baits for perch!

Why?

Answer: because perch have small mouths and need small baits ,period!

Thanks for asking,
Marie at TBC
www.tillamookbait.com

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
A guy named Derek with a couple nice redtails he caught at a beach I showed him about a mile or so south of Glen Eden State Park.

The next pic you might take note that he was using an 8'6" salmon rod.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts