IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been doing any good by Long Beach on Surf Perch?? If you have, is there any particular bait or location you did well at?? All info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did a bit of surf fishing years ago for perch in Monterey bay and the ticket was motor oil color twirly tails or straigth tail grubbies. 1/8 or 1/16 oz. Look for the deeper water on the beach - usually caused by the outflowing water. Work the high tide. Don't need to get out more than 30 or 40 feet on the cast to be in em. Don't remember the rigging but expect the 1/8 oz to be enough to get it out their. Oh yea, used light weight spin outfits.

Hope this helps, :smile:
GU

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch GU :cheers:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
GearUp,

Wonder if that was barred surfperch you were catching in Monterey Bay or the redtail surf perch we have here? They are both very similar in habits and looks however and I have fished them the same way with the same baits and at the same tides.

I've never done good with the plastics on them but have heard they work. Never tried plastics much either. 15 years ago or so flyfishing for them in the Oregon surf was real popular.

I usually use sand shrimp and that works real well. Sometimes some beaches sand crabs are available and are free bait and work real well also. Don't know their true name but some have called them sand moles.

I know someone that fishes Long Beach and uses pieces of razor clams after the dig and does real well with them. Someday I imagine razor clamming will reopen again.

Dan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dan,

We also used those sand horseshoe crab things the kids can dig up at the beach. Some old timers would heave these out on long surf rods with a pyramid sinker, maybe 6 oz, and just let it sit. I think they had two hooks on the rig.

The nice thing about the lighter tackle and the plastics is how mobile you can be working up the beach until you find a spot you like. Also, once the catching happens, its fast.

I think they were barred surfperch. :tongue:

GU

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Sand worms!!
rig with sliding 2oz teardrop and 20" leader to a #6 baithook and thread them on. Be carefull of the head end though...they come equipped with two fang like hooks that tend to hang on to your finger. OUCH!!! Slice into 1" long baits. They are deadly on all marine fish. :wink:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Long Beach has only one place to catch perch, that's Beards Hollow. The big rocks out from Seaview, at the very south end of the sand beach.
I spent many a summer down there and tried everywhere, the jetty, the sand, only off of the big rocks did we really catch them. Watch the incoming tide, getting stuck out there isn't much fun.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Surf perch that sounds like fun have not done that for years. Where is a good area on the oregon coast. Is the newport area good or is it better higher up or farther down the coast from newport. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Not looking for someone's spot just general info. Anything will help.

·
Registered
280 Posts
SL
Try the beaches south of Lincoln City and look for spots where the waves break close to shore. Cast out into the foam right behind the breaking waves. A mooching rig with sand shrimp has always worked for the kids. They run themselves ragged. Run down to cast on the runout and run back up before the breaker gets you. When one bites another one will almost always take the second shrimp so doubles are quite common.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Mr. Carp,

Though I don't know of any spots on the Washington coast, here is some things to look for when scouting for surf perch.

Look for steep sand banks producing a side rip into a "pool". By pool, I mean the sand bank levels off abruptly at the break water. The sand and rock are churned up at that point.

The perch will not be too far out from that area as they are feeding on the marine invertebrates (mole crabs and worms as Dan & Dan have mentioned) washed out by the chruning rip.

A flat featureless beach or spit (Long Beach) might not be very good hunting.

:smile:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Lincoln Beach state park has been consistently good the last few years and a couple beaches north and south of there.

Ona state beach between South beach and Waldport is normally a good bet.

Short Beach between Tillamook Bay and Netarts Bay is an excellent beach for redtails and real consistant because it is locked in by rock formations at both ends and the beach never changes (you don't have to locate a honey hole). Same place year after year.

There use to be some good redtail fishing in the Pacific city area but I haven't kept up with redtails much in recent years. Might give bernie a call @ Nestucca Country sporting goods @ (503) 965-6410. I might stop in there and inquire Monday or Tuesday when I am up there delivering tackle. Will report back if I find anything encouraging.

Fshklr, where are you getting your sand worms from? Only place I have ever ran into them is while clamming in the bays. You're right, awesome bait for just about anything. Nasty little buggers.

Dan

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Was on Siletz Bay this last week and never did have time to get to perch fishing. There is a couple spots I know of in Lincoln City that used to be good. If someone wants to go sometime before the 'Depoe Bay rockfish extravaganza' on the 14th, let me know :smile:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts