IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was very young, I used to go out by Pacific City and catch some sort of fish from the beach. I think we would use three hooks on our line. Each hook was safety pin and would clip on sand shrimp. I can remember casting my line out into the surf, letting the current drag out all of my line then reeling it in and having, one or more fish on.

1) Can anybody tell me what we were fishing for?
2) What is the Season?
3) Do people still do this?

Any information would help. I would like to try it again sometime but just can't remember enough about it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We used to fish for surf perch after razor clamming all the time. We used long rods, old steelhead reels and tried to cast a mile into the incoming surf. We used the tips of the clam siphons for bait-when we ran out of those we would cut pieces of already caught perch for bait. They seemed to school-you would either catch a lot of them or none.As the fillets are small you need quite a few for a big family, but very delicately flavored.....one of my favorite fish to eat.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yeah, nothing like standing on the edge of the ocean with that beautiful view and flinging a 4 ounce piramid with a couple of sand shrimp on the line. Waiting for that boink boink boink.
Several times I've caught 2 at a time.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Do they look something like this?

Red Tailed Surf Pearch.Open year round,and yes I still fish for em.My favorite baits include sand shrimp,clam necks,kelp worms or just plain night crawlers.They are also one of my favorite eating fish.LongBeach,Wa holds an anual surf pearch derby every spring,always a good time to be had.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Nice perch, TonTo.

We fish for 'em down by Seal Rock, Yachats, and as far down as Bandon. Only I don't use the safety pin hooks anymore. I just use stretchy thread to hold 'em. Doesn't tear them up as bad and it's a lot cheaper.

Lotsa fun.

Skein

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Nice batch of Perch, I seem to be perch impared for the time being but will keep trying. just goes to show that you don't always have to go for the larger fish species to have a good time. I have great memories of bluegill fishing in our farm pond as a kid.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it is open year around?? Also when is the best time or season?

Thanks everyone. I look forward to taking my son out some day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts