IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently someone capsized their sled or driftboat at Rattlesnake and the remains are resting in the middle of the river just above Blackberry. Looks as though it's going to be there awhile too.

[ 08-30-2003, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Stew ]

·
Registered
14,507 Posts
That would be Mark Angel. Lives in Maupin, I think. Makes a good part of his living pulling boats out of the D.

Many years ago Mr. Angel ran a driftboat over Shears. A pic I saw had him in a football helmet and a mondo float suit.

I have never seen him do either, but would sure like to watch someday.

I don't think he runs Shears today. but I bet it was good publicity for him at the time.

I wonder what sinks more boats-The outgoing tide during Bouy 10. Or the Deschutes?

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Flatfish,
I have a book called "Driftboats: A complete guide." It has that photo showing Mark doing the run through Sherars. Unbelieveable. :shocked:

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I came off the lower river Friday and believe that this is a drift boat. There have been several wrecks this year on the Big D with many predisposing factors. Thursday night a jet boat lost its entire steering assembly above the airstrip hole and another hit a rock in Washout which lead to $6000 worth of damages. The lower Deschutes should not be taken lightly for many of the rocks are so solid they have Chinese writing on the bottom of them. This is a very low water year so if you are heading up or down the lower Deschutes please wear you life jackets and be careful!.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looked like a "V" hull to me but you could be right John. I could only view it from the bank. Seems to be stuck pretty solid though.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Stew, it's a DB. Happened on the 15th. I've rowed over/past it a couple times since. It must be stuck pretty good seeing that it is still there.
Three guys were in it, all got out OK but one guy was busted up a bit from what I heard.
They got too far right at the top of RS and went sideways over the ledges.
I've been down from Macks' about 10 times this season and all the usual routes through the major rapids are still the way to go, just a little tighter in spots.
Greenlight rapids, although a pretty text book run has got some more exposed or just under the surface rock that I think could trick someone unfamiliar with that spot.
I ran into one guy who cracked the boot on his pump in there a few weeks ago, not bad enough to ruin his trip but expensive I bet.
People tend to be a bit more vigilant on the big stuff but this year is different. More than half the stories I've heard have not been from the major rapids.
Food for thought.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What amazes me is the guys in float tubes throughout the lower river. It would be tough for a sled to see those guys I would think.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
>>> It would be tough for a sled to see those guys I would think. <<<

Yeah, but if you think about it it's no big deal unless the tuber coming down onto the gravel bar from above gets in the channel on the West bank that the sleds take. Most of them, if not walking on the bar, take the East channel to exit the spot.
A rare few will go down Moody. Not a good idea at all, saw a guy shoot it last week.

"Here's you sign......"
:shocked: :grin:

[ 08-30-2003, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Mad Mikey ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.