IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
9,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since everyone is catching tuna, I didn't feel it would add a whole lot to post yet another tuna report. But after seeing the posts about....getting run over, crowds, and such I figured I'd share that...there are fish in a lot of places if a person just simply goes looking elsewhere.

By the time we were ready to chase tuna, we heard all the fish reports of the area around 45 / 124 40 & such.....and the radio comments about the number of boats there too.

The chlorophyll shot showed good looking water elsewhere....like the blue edge at 44 56 X 124 52. We just headed that direction...after several test trolls, and going past lone jumpers, and doing a little 4 mile loop, at around 10 am we settled in to chasing small patches of jumpers. It wasn't the hot & heavy fishing that some reported to the NE, but it was good enough for us & we were all alone, except for one commercial troller who was on a long tack. Shortly after picking up to come in, we saw Skein & a few others getting fish inside us, so there was an area about 3 miles square with fish.

So spread out....don't be afraid of finding your own fish :smile:

· "The Old Salt"
10,968 Posts
Thats the key Mark
Spread out !!
Those tuna are not in tiny little schools and they do not just sit there waiting for you to troll through
They are on the move hunting prey and they run in packs of a few to hundreds

If you are close enough to see boats in the area of the #s given out on the radio you will catch fish just be patient they will come your way
You do not need to zero in on the exact #s given

Get within sight and troll around the edges of the boats that are grouped up and stay about 1/4 mile away from the other boats

It will make everyones day a better one

· Registered
430 Posts
Exactly, Mark. We found the tuna in the area of all the boats to be very skittish. After trying just about everything and only catching an occasional fish, we moved five miles away and were able to find much more aggressive fish. There wasn't another boat for 2 miles. What a change, they were hitting everything we trolled and we would get one or two more casting while bringing in the troll fish. Two hours and we were stuffed. I don't mind four or five boats working some fish, but when it's 20 or 30 boats, I think I'll look elsewhere.
Once again, good advice. And your tuna bites worked very well! The 1 oz. heads with the small body were absolutely inhaled by the tuna. My hand has the teeth marks to show for it.

· Registered
3,410 Posts
Exactly, Mark. We found the tuna in the area of all the boats to be very skittish. After trying just about everything and only catching an occasional fish, we moved five miles away and were able to find much more aggressive fish. There wasn't another boat for 2 miles. What a change, they were hitting everything we trolled and we would get one or two more casting while bringing in the troll fish. Two hours and we were stuffed. I don't mind four or five boats working some fish, but when it's 20 or 30 boats, I think I'll look elsewhere.
Once again, good advice. And your tuna bites worked very well! The 1 oz. heads with the small body were absolutely inhaled by the tuna. My hand has the teeth marks to show for it.
I was within a couple miles of you all day Sunday - just decided to run 109 miles or so past where you and Marty got them last weekend based on the SST. Saw the commy on his long tack. The jumpers in that 3 square mile area we fished were incredible - first time I've seen them jump like that. My boat doesn't sit that high off the water, so on rough days I rarely see jumpers. You could see them 800 yards away yesterday - pretty cool!

· Registered
1,987 Posts
Pretty sure we were near you Mark Mc. We hit blue water and couldn't keep the tuna off our plugs. 8 fish is all our ice would allow but we were done in less than 30 min. Were you on the handle with tuna time? Pretty awsome bite either way. I know you guys did well and congrats. We saw whales, and a huge group of porp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.