IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine said last weekend he caught and ate a sun fish, he said the ceviche was great?
we see them all the time but never herd of anybody eating one.

So am curious has anybody ate one of these, have I been passing on a good eating fish.

Cheers.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
First, if it were good to eat there would not be anymore. They are basically sea sloths.

Second, rates worse than bringing bananas on the bad luck matrix.

·
Registered
38,814 Posts
They’re nothing more than a huge mass of bone, skin, and other inedible material. Finding real meat on one would be difficult. I’m thinking he probably caught something else and mistook it for a Mola Mola.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Back during our first encounter with El Nino in the 70's we saw one and netted it with our salmon net. We sat on the deck trying to figure out what it was. Couple of calls on the radio and nobody knew nothing. We ultimately threw it back because it was harder than a rock and no hope of having much meat.

Now we see them all the time. Never have thought about eating them. I am sure there is a bit of meat in them somewhere.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Your buddy might as well sit under a ladder next a black cat and smash a pile of mirrors. That's some seriously bad juju right there if it was a mola mola. Sure it wasn't Opah? Mola mola just kind of follow you around like puppies, but Opah have been spotted around recently washed up near Seaside.

·
Registered
38,814 Posts
Ohmytodd: That’s what I was thinking, Opah. Don’t know what Mola Mola feed on but getting one to bite something would be a real trick. I tried snagging one off the Tillamook North Jetty one time but couldn’t get a hook to stick. A really big one came into the Columbia last summer and was spotted around Hammond by several Ifishers. I later found it dead up river in a side slough. It was at least five feet across.

·
Registered
819 Posts

Volume up for a good laugh.

Volume down if sensitive ears are around.

LOL
😂😂😂
Reminds me of the sam adams commercial guy...frooowm baaaawston....

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I laughed till it hurt the first time I saw that……that guy shouldnt have a fishing license…..it’s a baby whale, sea monster, flounder, tuna….call the CG.
I wonder how he would do identifying our 15 rockfishes.

and he even gave his name, I thought about calling him once.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Supposedly Italians (real Italians) out of Monterey (ages ago) eat a cut of red meat near front dorsal fins? Anything eating jellyfish is going to be yuck.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mola feed on jellyfish. Maybe your "friend" is trying to punk you, get you to try eating one.
Well this guy doesn’t spend much time on the big pond and when he told me he landed a fish that looked like a half fish swimming on the surface am assuming this was a mola mola.

I never herd of anyone ear one till now, one thing is for certain this fish will never cross our dinner table😜

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
Supposedly Italians (real Italians) out of Monterey (ages ago) eat a cut of red meat near front dorsal fins? Anything eating jellyfish is going to be yuck.
Lots of very tasty fish available to real italians in Monterey if they had a boat. Not sure why they would mess with a sunfish given the stigma unless you were starving. I don't know anyone who has eaten one of these, but if they were good to eat, they wouldn't exist.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We had two of them swimming near the boat last year. As we were drifting they stayed right with us. They're so friendly I don't think I could ever eat one.

·
Premium Member
18,481 Posts
We had two of them swimming near the boat last year. As we were drifting they stayed right with us. They're so friendly I don't think I could ever eat one.
Kind of like the out-of-towner that shot the town's resident pet deer. Heard that happened over in Joseph some years back.

·
Registered
684 Posts
A friend of mine said last weekend he caught and ate a sun fish, he said the ceviche was great?
we see them all the time but never herd of anybody eating one.

So am curious has anybody ate one of these, have I been passing on a good eating fish.

Cheers.
There are freshwater sunfish but they are much like a perch.

·
Registered
38,814 Posts
Freshwater sun fish pretty much includes anything related to or looks like a Bluegill. A catch all term like the singular use of the word, salmon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts