IFish.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read to day where the limit is 3 summer steelhead on the Willmette above the OC Falls. Since I live in Canby, I thought I'd give that a try. My question, since I have not fished for summers before, is what method to use? I have a boat and prefer that. So should I find a spot and sit or troll and what works best for bait/lures?
:whazzup:
Thanks,

·
Registered
745 Posts
Marko,
It will be tough to get a bite out of Mainstem Willamette steelhead or salmon this time of year. They don't bite well with the water temps as high as they are. Best to target them in a trib of the Willamette. You may have some luck at the mouth of the Molalla but that is still a longer shot than trying a river like the N or S Santiam which are the closest tributaries that I would spend time on near Canby. If you try the Willamette I'd fish close to cooler trib's where that cooler water flows into the Willamette. Trolling spinners may be effective. Personally I doubt sitting on anchor will be productive for you up above the falls unless you fish the mouth of a trib and cast spinners. Hope that helps.
Bill

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. Looks like I should just hit my favorite spot for winters on the Clackamas. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Fishing...a waste of time!? :whazzup: :wink:

The Willamette hasn't warmed up that much yet...will get a lot warmer over the summer but is still relatively cool, I think.

People who know how & where to fish catch summer steelhead from the Willamette all summer...but in the upper reaches I think more are caught in Sept/Oct...at least I see a couple guys every year when I'm coming back to the launch with some doves, or ducks...these guys are unloading steelhead. They don't talk much, either. :wink:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I've fished for summers around Salem, Wheatland in late June before. It's fun to do if you just want to get out by yourself and relax and enjoy fishing and some sunshine. But as stated above, the catching isn't very good. I caught one one time after a hard rain and the river came up a hair....but it's much more productive any where else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts